Milt Stegall Right On Today's Pregame Show On MOS

USABomberfan

MOS tied his can to Hall when he didn’t replace him in the off season.  I’d be reluctant to fire him but he laid his head down beside Hall’s on the chopping block. That’s on him. He’s going to have to bite the bullet and fire him soon and hope Walters gives him the chance to win with a new DC 

1 hour ago, blueandgoldguy said:

I can't see an OC getting fired with one-third of the season left.  They will stick it out with him.  Plus who would replace him?

We just got outcoached by Bob McAdoo.

2 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Disagree, except for maybe the OL which clearly missed some blocking assignments on a few series I saw.

I still say Hall and even now potentially Lapo are wasting talent or not scheming to use it right.

MOS also was foolish to stick Demski on Kick return duties.

The team is one dimensional on offence, after Harris, there really isn't much to work with. I see why Lankford was starting, he's the only 'big play potential guy' they have. The rest may be possession receivers but that game is too easy to shut down, as we seen the last three games. You gotta have a couple explosions plays every game from your offence, we aren't getting that. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You might want to take your own advice on reading.  He's talking after the season if they miss the playoffs.  Do you really think Nichols will be the QB next season if they miss the playoffs?

How much longer is his contract? Can we afford to pay for two #1 QBs?

1 minute ago, J5V said:

How much longer is his contract? Can we afford to pay for two #1 QBs?

Of course not but Streveler will be commanding about $200K for his first starting gig and Nichols will be released.

I still think Bennet is the dark horse though, guy has all the tools. 

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

MOS tied his can to Hall when he didn’t replace him in the off season.  I’d be reluctant to fire him but he laid his head down beside Hall’s on the chopping block. That’s on him. He’s going to have to bite the bullet and fire him soon and hope Walters gives him the chance to win with a new DC 

Yeah, it's often been discussed the good things loyalty does, but that O'Shea allowed it to cloud his judgement to allow a DC to run a defense into the ground is astounding.

He'll look back on that and realize it was his undoing.

4 minutes ago, pigseye said:

The team is one dimensional on offence, after Harris, there really isn't much to work with. I see why Lankford was starting, he's the only 'big play potential guy' they have. The rest may be possession receivers but that game is too easy to shut down, as we seen the last three games. You gotta have a couple explosions plays every game from your offence, we aren't getting that. 

Adams used to be one of the best boundary WR's in the league with an emphasis on those long plays down the sideline.  He's quickly become a dud but he also doesn't see a lot of those passes lately.

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If Nichols is unable to move the ball at critical times in the Banjo Bowl, O'Shea will have no choice but to pull him to protect his crumbling confidence.  If he lays an egg the crowd is primed to crucify him on the spot which could rattle the entire team and send this season into a death spiral.

I think you overestimate O'Shea's willingness to adapt. I quote Red Green,"Everything can be fixed with duct tape. If that doesn't fix things, you are not using enough duct tape."

2 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Yeah, it's often been discussed the good things loyalty does, but that O'Shea allowed it to cloud his judgement to allow a DC to run a defense into the ground is astounding.

He'll look back on that and realize it was his undoing.

Probably not. He will ascribe it to just not having been given enough time. Like problem gamblers for whom the gambling is not the problem, its the lack of more money.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Adams used to be one of the best boundary WR's in the league with an emphasis on those long plays down the sideline.  He's quickly become a dud but he also doesn't see a lot of those passes lately.

I've never been sold on Adams, he doesn't anything particularly well, average receiver at best, a 3rd option on most teams. 

34 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If Nichols is unable to move the ball at critical times in the Banjo Bowl, O'Shea will have no choice but to pull him to protect his crumbling confidence.  If he lays an egg the crowd is primed to crucify him on the spot which could rattle the entire team and send this season into a death spiral.

Did you hear Nichols post-game? He was basically begging for his job, saying he'll practice harder than anyone else and will be better. I felt awful for the guy and I'm sure MOS does too. It's hard to fire someone. Fortunately this isn't real life. It's a game. Players come and go, as do coaches, GMs, and Presidents.

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Probably not. He will ascribe it to just not having been given enough time. Like problem gamblers for whom the gambling is not the problem, its the lack of more money.

Yeah, as if 3 years wasn't enough to see Hall was ruining the defense.  He's delusional if he thinks he hasn't been given enough time considering he's the 2nd longest current tenured HC behind Buono.

Well tied for 2nd with Rick Campbell, and Campbell has a GC win to point to.

Edited by USABomberfan

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

Did you hear Nichols post-game? He was basically begging for his job, saying he'll practice harder than anyone else and will be better. I felt awful for the guy and I'm sure MOS does too. It's hard to fire someone. Fortunately this isn't real life. It's a game. Players come and go, as do coaches, GMs, and Presidents.

It sure sounded like the fire has gone out.

25 minutes ago, pigseye said:

I actually think the coaches are getting the most out of what they have to work with. This roster is not very deep. 

I actually think the players are getting the most out of what they have to work with. This coaching roster is not very deep. 

But seriously, I think the Bombers played about as well as they could today. They didn't get many breaks and were in hostile territory. There's not a lot of mental toughness there. 

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

He's paid for the rest of the year.  His kids won't starve.

Two major problems that can no longer be ignored...

- Nelson took a reduced role while Ottawa signed Thorpe to improve their D... Bombers stuck with Hall

- Walters signed Durant as experienced insurance for Nichols - maybe there was a reason? - and we're LUCKY that Durant screwed us - we'd be flailing with Durant and wouldn't have Bighill...

Time for new blood.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You might want to take your own advice on reading.  He's talking after the season if they miss the playoffs.  Do you really think Nichols will be the QB next season if they miss the playoffs?

I think yes he would he the incumbent BUT if Streveler shines in camp and TC then he would be pushed hard. 

But moo point at this junction..  this is Nichols team.  if healthy, hes our guy til the end of this year.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

I also feel sorry for Nichols. He is not the anal aperture like Casey  Printers but this is a results-driven process, and he has lost something and is not the same quarterback of last year.

24 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Good points. Where has Walters been these last 3 games? Awfully quiet don't you think?

36 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

I’ll ascribe to this theory of holding each coach, each GM, each player responsible and each onfield participant for their performance. To achieve a true view of their performance, they need the authority to act on opportunities, and sometimes those opportunities result in atrocious failures. 

So, they go. That's the way it is.

23 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Of course not but Streveler will be commanding about $200K for his first starting gig and Nichols will be released.

I still think Bennet is the dark horse though, guy has all the tools. 

For some strange reason I haven't seen him taking snaps from Goossen. I wonder why? 😉

13 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It sure sounded like the fire has gone out.

Remarkable to see it happen. If it's injury related, some players can get over them, like Reilly, and some can't. The beating Willy took here, probably ruined his career.

Even though the Bombers have a good line, Nichols has taken some terrible hits last season and this one.

Edited by Mark F