Matt Nichols is the worst starting QB in the CFL

blueandgoldguy

7 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Reilly is a football player first, QB second, he can run, break tackles and take hits or dish them out.  Nichols doesn't have that physical presence and doesn't expect to do any of that stuff, he's more like a golf pro playing football.  

Yeah. Its hard not to like reilly as a player. Or be envious of the moes for having him. 

Nichols doesnt need to do that stuff, but if he isnt gonna do it he has to beat the rush with his read, and release. The timer in his head telling him to get rid of the ball seems to be broken right now. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

With a good system and qbing he would be. Without it those guys arent. 

Dont agree that its too much to expect him to be the deep guy. He put up 259 yards after the catch last year on 1120 yards, and averaged a TD every 10-11 catches. This year he is averaging a touch down every 5.4 catches. Hes averaging 15.5 yards per catch this year. Stegall averaged 17.8 and 5.9 catches per td. Stegall also benefited from an offense that was designed around him to stretch the field for alot of his career.  3 of the last 4 years adams longest play has been in the 70 yard range. I mean 162 2 tds 20.3 ypc and 72 long against ottawa this year. 195 1 td 2.9 on his best game last year. 

Darvin adams ability to stretch the D isnt an issue. Its our ability to get it to him deep. We dont and cant toss a 50/50 deep ball. Our deep ball completions tend to be to guys with 4+ strides who stop to catch the ball or who have to come back to the ball to catch it. 

Kenbrell has done legitimate damage and started at the nfl level. He has caught everything thrown near him and is on track for 1000 yards receiving. 

Dressler, adams, demski plus wolitarski was on fire when we fed him the ball. 

Then it's our system & it needs changing. Like a new OC. 

8 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Reilly is a football player first, QB second, he can run, break tackles and take hits or dish them out.  Nichols doesn't have that physical presence and doesn't expect to do any of that stuff, he's more like a golf pro playing football.  

That's exactly how I view Streveler...football player.  That's why I'm not concerned like some are that he could be damaged if the plays and doesn't dominate.  He doesn't give a **** about his stat line, he's playing ball and he's going to be fully engaged in every game he plays.  Reilly's first couple years in Edmonton were pretty shaky and look at him now.  He threw fewer passes as a Lion than Streveler already has this season.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Then it's our system & it needs changing. Like a new OC. 

Id say its 60% qb and 40% system right now. Though its pretty close. If we made better use of our pieces we would not be in the hole we are right now. At the same time if our deep balls didnt float like butter flyes (and far more then deep balls the last few weeks) we also wouldnt have the problem. If you 100% fix either problem we are back rolling and doing better then ever. But still not calgary in the regular season levels of quality. 

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That's exactly how I view Streveler...football player.  That's why I'm not concerned like some are that he could be damaged if the plays and doesn't dominate.  He doesn't give a **** about his stat line, he's playing ball and he's going to be fully engaged in every game he plays.  Reilly's first couple years in Edmonton were pretty shaky and look at him now.  He threw fewer passes as a Lion than Streveler already has this season.

yuuuuuuuuuuuup. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah. Its hard not to like reilly as a player. Or be envious of the moes for having him. 

Nichols doesnt need to do that stuff, but if he isnt gonna do it he has to beat the rush with his read, and release. The timer in his head telling him to get rid of the ball seems to be broken right now. 

Yah but you watch Masoli flee the pocket, re-set and find receivers down field.  Nichols does not even attempt to do that, once he's out of the pocket he's like a chicken on the run and usually just flings the ball out of bounds.  Not saying Nichols is as athletic as Masoli, but right now he doesn't have any composure.

part of me has really been wondering for a few weeks now if these receivers just aren't as engaged in the game, knowing they've got a QB very limited in ability.   I have to think that if the receivers knew Nichols could escape a rush, roll out to extend the play and buy a few extra seconds for them to find some space, they'd be playing harder.   Maybe these guys have checked out, and don't themselves feel like O'Shea does, that "he's our QB, and he's very good".   That's never going to come out in the media from anyone, because they're smarter than that.  But you have to wonder if the belief is gone?

5 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

part of me has really been wondering for a few weeks now if these receivers just aren't as engaged in the game, knowing they've got a QB very limited in ability.   I have to think that if the receivers knew Nichols could escape a rush, roll out to extend the play and buy a few extra seconds for them to find some space, they'd be playing harder.   Maybe these guys have checked out, and don't themselves feel like O'Shea does, that "he's our QB, and he's very good".   That's never going to come out in the media from anyone, because they're smarter than that.  But you have to wonder if the belief is gone?

I don't really think that would ever happen because these guys are essentially playing for their careers every week, especially the Americans.  I just don't believe that we have any receiver that is very versatile, of the ones we use.  They are all kind of one-dimensional and we have Dressler who is a great player but at the end of his career.

I believe the injury Nichols suffered at the beginning of the year is really impacting his play. I also believe he really only trusts Harris, Dressler, and Adams. As soon as Dressler got injured it seems like he's only going to Harris or Adams, and it becomes easy to defend. Same thing happened last year when Dressler went out, then Adams. Also, Nichols can't throw a deep ball, and never has been able to.

Put Streveler in and watch him distribute the ball all around. Just look how much more Wolitarsky was involved in the games where Streveler started. I believe Wolitarsky is not being used enough.

Nichols is not the same player he was last year, and I'm scared that waiting for him to regain his form is going to put us on the outside looking in come playoff time...

28 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yah but you watch Masoli flee the pocket, re-set and find receivers down field.  Nichols does not even attempt to do that, once he's out of the pocket he's like a chicken on the run and usually just flings the ball out of bounds.  Not saying Nichols is as athletic as Masoli, but right now he doesn't have any composure.

This is an insult to chickens everywhere.

On 2018-09-02 at 5:14 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

Streveler is a weapon.  300 yards of offense just from his arm and legs is no problem for him.  Then you have Harris and Demski, Lafrance/Flanders running.  I'm not sure Lapo is the right OC for that style of offense though with a running QB, some option, tons of playaction.  He defaults to drop back passing.  Did it in Streveler's 3rd start, doing it to Nichols every week in the 2nd half.

I've never thought Lapo is the right OC for any offense.  This was confirmed by trying to look at something of his on twitter and finding out he has me blocked, so I must have pissed him off during one of his previous stints here.

4 hours ago, brett_c_b said:

I've never thought Lapo is the right OC for any offense.  This was confirmed by trying to look at something of his on twitter and finding out he has me blocked, so I must have pissed him off during one of his previous stints here.

He has me blocked too,and I've never @ mentioned him before. Makes me believe he searches his name on Twitter to see what's being said.

I don't think it is an issue with the play calling...hard to determine if it is Nichol's not being able to execute on all the options, or gets jitters and just want to dump it off for fear of getting injured further..and I don't think he is 100 percent...in body and mind

I see receivers open...or in a position to be thrown open or lead to a ball...and Nichols isn't pulling the trigger for whatever reason. Also...teams know he is no threat to run this year, and basically disregard that in their pass rush, and even on a play action/roll out...they know he ain't going anywhere. Tho he was no major threat or consistent runner before, the ability/threat was there...and that is huge in an offence to hum along nicely.

The fact that Harris is able to accomplish what he is right now is amazing and is a tribute to his talent...and the o-line...now if we could insert a QB who can threaten a defense with the notion he may take off, as well as stand in and make intermediate passes and utilize the offence then we will be onto something...but right now..Nichols funk is affecting things big time and it is the issue we have sputtered..

6 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

He has me blocked too,and I've never @ mentioned him before. Makes me believe he searches his name on Twitter to see what's being said.

At least you didn’t get blocked by the Bombers Twitter for telling them it was pathetic that they were endorsing tweets calling fans “losers”, among other things, for booing Nichols.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I don't think it is an issue with the play calling...hard to determine if it is Nichol's not being able to execute on all the options, or gets jitters and just want to dump it off for fear of getting injured further..and I don't think he is 100 percent...in body and mind

I see receivers open...or in a position to be thrown open or lead to a ball...and Nichols isn't pulling the trigger for whatever reason. Also...teams know he is no threat to run this year, and basically disregard that in their pass rush, and even on a play action/roll out...they know he ain't going anywhere. Tho he was no major threat or consistent runner before, the ability/threat was there...and that is huge in an offence to hum along nicely.

The fact that Harris is able to accomplish what he is right now is amazing and is a tribute to his talent...and the o-line...now if we could insert a QB who can threaten a defense with the notion he may take off, as well as stand in and make intermediate passes and utilize the offence then we will be onto something...but right now..Nichols funk is affecting things big time and it is the issue we have sputtered..

I've been saying this for weeks now. Imagine a formation with Harris Demski Flanders Streveler that's bent on running the football with some hand-off misdirection/play option at the core. That's gotta be hard to defend.

45 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I've been saying this for weeks now. Imagine a formation with Harris Demski Flanders Streveler that's bent on running the football with some hand-off misdirection/play option at the core. That's gotta be hard to defend.

Throwback to the LeFevour game late last year in Cgy.  LaPo probably has that game plan hidden away in a drawer, just has to dust it off.

49 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Yep, all of those guys can run, catch and block.  There’s no defense in the league equipped to defend that kind of option attack.  Who’s the biggest LB in the league?  235 lbs?  Most teams have at least one guy playing in the box who’s 200 or less.  Good luck.  Plus you still have Adams, Thompkins, Wolitarsky etc downfield, Dressler when he is back.  Streveler is a far better passer than most QBs you’d try to run this with so you can have a ton of variety. 

Hell even if they ran looks like this 20 times a game it would totally **** up every D and their planning.  You can basically give Nichols some scaffold to get his mojo back.

Lets keep doing the straight drop back passing!

1 hour ago, Mike said:

At least you didn’t get blocked by the Bombers Twitter for telling them it was pathetic that they were endorsing tweets calling fans “losers”, among other things, for booing Nichols.

Just brutal. And from their official twitter feed no less. We pay their f****** salaries and have every right to voice our displeasure with the utter horses*** they have been spewing all over the field lately.

34 minutes ago, pigseye said:

If you haven't already, you should send a letter to the BOD. 

It's sad really. To me, any sports team should not be disabling fans from viewing their social media platforms unless those fans are directing messages filling with sexism, racism, etc. To be publicly endorsing tweets that disparage fans and then to block someone who calls you out for it is really low and honestly, if it weren't for the fact that I know it's not the club itself and it just so happens that the woman who runs their social media is an absolute moron, I'd be pretty annoyed by it. As it stands, I e-mailed them to tell them that if I'm not worthy of following them on social media, I wanted to be removed from all other correspondences as well, including any invoices for future season tickets. They offered to correct "the mistake", after denying that I was blocked in the first place, but it's not even about that to me.

The club has done an absolute ton to rebuild their image and I'm a big fan of everything Wade Miller has done, but they seem to have gotten complacent this year. Merchandise absolutely sucks, the concessions at the stadium are back to being atrocious, their interactions with fans on their social media platforms are basically a "how to not act 101" and that's just off the field. Couple that with the fact that our team is an absolute tire fire and my new job's availability requirement doesn't really allow me the benefit of a season ticket commitment for the next while, it was easy for me to tell them that I'm not going to bother renewing.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's sad really. To me, any sports team should not be disabling fans from viewing their social media platforms unless those fans are directing messages filling with sexism, racism, etc. To be publicly endorsing tweets that disparage fans and then to block someone who calls you out for it is really low and honestly, if it weren't for the fact that I know it's not the club itself and it just so happens that the woman who runs their social media is an absolute moron, I'd be pretty annoyed by it. As it stands, I e-mailed them to tell them that if I'm not worthy of following them on social media, I wanted to be removed from all other correspondences as well, including any invoices for future season tickets. They offered to correct "the mistake", after denying that I was blocked in the first place, but it's not even about that to me.

The club has done an absolute ton to rebuild their image and I'm a big fan of everything Wade Miller has done, but they seem to have gotten complacent this year. Merchandise absolutely sucks, the concessions at the stadium are back to being atrocious, their interactions with fans on their social media platforms are basically a "how to not act 101" and that's just off the field. Couple that with the fact that our team is an absolute tire fire and my new job's availability requirement doesn't really allow me the benefit of a season ticket commitment for the next while, it was easy for me to tell them that I'm not going to bother renewing.

That's really terrible. I agree with everything you've said about the off-the-field product with the exception of the Chalk Talk w/MOS. But, that was planned a long time ago and really should be a standing thing anyhow. 

Good for you.