Matt Nichols is the worst starting QB in the CFL

blueandgoldguy

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think the same way. If fans think having Streveler in there will mean a radical departure from what we're doing now, think again. 

I don't completely disagree...but I do disagree at least a bit.

I think LaPo's "Streveler Offense" did a pretty good job of emphasizing his mobility, either on designed runs or play action. I personally would prefer a ton more zone read, still, in that offense, but I just want to make the point that I do think the Nichols Offense and the Streveler Offense were pretty different.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think the same way. If fans think having Streveler in there will mean a radical departure from what we're doing now, think again. 

All we need him to do is use his legs and have a higher completion rate then what matt has right now....... it would wake up all the players....then they rally..... then we have hope again. Right now all hope is lost with matt starting.......zero excitement when he goes on the field.

1 minute ago, Captain Blue said:

I think LaPo's "Streveler Offense" did a pretty good job of emphasizing his mobility, either on designed runs or play action. I personally would prefer a ton more zone read, still, in that offense, but I just want to make the point that I do think the Nichols Offense and the Streveler Offense were pretty different.

The Hamilton game Streveler started is what scares me.  Didn't throw a pass over 10 yards and didn't call any QB runs or option until deep into the 3rd quarter.  It's like he almost went we see what you've done, now let's see if you can play QB the way I like my QB to play rather than using Streveler's ability to run that option type offense.

56 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Streveler is a weapon.  300 yards of offense just from his arm and legs is no problem for him.  Then you have Harris and Demski, Lafrance/Flanders running.  I'm not sure Lapo is the right OC for that style of offense though with a running QB, some option, tons of playaction.  He defaults to drop back passing.  Did it in Streveler's 3rd start, doing it to Nichols every week in the 2nd half.

I am just not sure at this point if he would make a difference. But at this point I guess I would be willing to see what happens. They need to shake things up. However, what hell do they do to shake the D up?

3 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

I am just not sure at this point if he would make a difference. But at this point I guess I would be willing to see what happens. They need to shake things up. However, what hell do they do to shake the D up?

He played better in his games than Nichols has, and presumably he's gained some experience.  Even if he could get the same passing yards as Nichols and protect the ball as well as he did in his starts he'd be better than what Nichols has been.  He's going to get 70+ yards rushing a game too and not allow the D to focus on our backs.

They only keep Nichols in hoping he returns to form.  If we had no memories beyond 2018 there's no way anyone would start Nichols.

Playing better offense is the shakeup the D needs.  Maybe benching Loffler too and playing a safety that can cover some ground, finish a tackle, or at the very least cover a receiver.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

I’ve defends Matt and certainly the crazy suggestions of getting rid of him have no merit. But it’s time to switch it up if only to let Matt watch. Something isn’t right since his injury. 

If we’re gonna lose let’s at least go down swinging with a talented second string QB that’s fun to watch 

1 hour ago, Captain Blue said:

Until they played the Ti Cats. Then it was shut down. 

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

Short answer - yes. Flutie could move in the pocket, find the vertical receivers, not check down every other play. Not defending our pedestrian receivers, but come on. There’s no metric where Nichols is succeeding as a QB. 

To get yards the receivers have to catch the ball.  We have guys that drop catchable footballs. We don't have guys that can make contested passes. When is the last time a Bomber made a spectacular catch downfield? Or a game where we dominated as receivers. I don't remember.

2 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

What was this that final throw?!  Throwing it across the field for what would have been an 8-yard gain with a minute left.  Nichols needs to be far more aggressive in that instance throwing it down the field 15 - 20 yards.  I guess he isn't capable of it.

He saw a confused and scrambling Sask D and thought he could catch them unprepared and hoped for a miracle. A quick-hitter over the middle to his new inside receiver might have been a better idea than a 30 yard lob to the sideline though.

Almost fell to my knees puking at that point.

2 hours ago, pigseye said:

MOS has to start giving Nichols the hook. I'd let him start the Banjo but if he isn't scoring TD's and moving the ball, you gotta pull him, any sane HC would. 

So, after not doing it for 3 games in a row, you now think he should get a fourth? Wow.

2 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Honestly? I’m not convinced that Streveler can add much at this point. I don’t oppose him playing more but you know that ain’t gonna happen. We need a bundle of help in the receiving department and some serious help in the secondary.

I bet Montreal was thinking exactly the same way before Pipkin showed up then, wow, those receivers started catching everything and looked 100% better and are now playing with some swagger.

What I'd give for some swagger. 😞

Nichols has lost the fire. He was a fiery fierce competitor when he was at his best... Now he looks like he would rather be elsewhere. I dont think hes hurt.. I think hes mentally soft tho and that is something he isn't able to overcome. 

Like Willy... Scared to get hit. 

Deer in headlights happy feet instantly the second pressure comes... Hes done i think.. Weird tho cuz unlike Drew most of Matts injuries were self inflicted

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, you’re right. However Streveler keeps a defence honest with atleast a threat that he could take off with the ball. Can move outside the pocket. Have various launch points instead of just sitting duck.

this remains to be seen but it also looks like he might be able to hit the deep ball with better accuracy. Think back to Nichols missing Adams a week ago in Calgary,

to me that could have been a game saver if he catches that in stride. 

Edited by CodyT

56 minutes ago, CodyT said:

No, you’re right. However Streveler keeps a defence honest with atleast a threat that he could take off with the ball. Can move outside the pocket. Have various launch points instead of just sitting duck.

this remains to be seen but it also looks like he might be able to hit the deep ball with better accuracy. Think back to Nichols missing Adams a week ago in Calgary,

to me that could have been a game saver if he catches that in stride. 

IF he catches the ball. With our receivers it's not a given.