Matt Nichols is the worst starting QB in the CFL

blueandgoldguy

Title says it all.  Underwhelming performance after underwhelming performance this year.  He has not had one good performance, let alone a great one, this season.

Playcalling could have been better but Nichols was terrible when it mattered most.

His final passes of the game ....2 completions out of 10 with 1 pick to end the game.

Totals for the game 14/26 53.8% completion rate 1 TD 2 INT

This is not a hot take.  He has been below average all season.  I'm not sure if he can find his 2016/early 2017 self again.

His 2nd half stats this season are absurdly poor.  First half are average.  For interest sake, Nichols has now posted 3 games of net offense worse than Streveler's worst against Hamilton this season, including his own start at home vs Hamilton.

Combination of Lapo, lack of reliable receivers and Nichols struggles = disaster.

Just imagine if Harris gets injured, how terrible this offense would be.

1 minute ago, blueandgoldguy said:

What was this that final throw?!  Throwing it across the field for what would have been an 8-yard gain with a minute left.  Nichols needs to be far more aggressive in that instance throwing it down the field 15 - 20 yards.  I guess he isn't capable of it.

Almost as absurd as the Davis TD INT in Calgary.  

This offense, whether it's Nichols reads, Lapo's calls or combo of both, tries way too hard to challenge the width of the field and not enough to challenge the depth.  Just too easy to defend.  Harris breaking tackles and getting loose for big runs is the only positive, Demski the odd time too.

16 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

What was this that final throw?!  Throwing it across the field for what would have been an 8-yard gain with a minute left.  Nichols needs to be far more aggressive in that instance throwing it down the field 15 - 20 yards.  I guess he isn't capable of it.

That’s Lapo’s go-to play in a situation like that. 

1 minute ago, Dragon37 said:

That’s Lapo’s go-to play in a situation like that. 

Yup...it's mind boggling when you think about the situation, time left on the clock and the defence the Riders were playing.  

The Riders were obviously not worried about the long game today.  They made Nichols uncomfortable in the pocket and then gave him the short game when he could find it. 

20 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Almost as absurd as the Davis TD INT in Calgary.  

This offense, whether it's Nichols reads, Lapo's calls or combo of both, tries way too hard to challenge the width of the field and not enough to challenge the depth.  Just too easy to defend.  Harris breaking tackles and getting loose for big runs is the only positive, Demski the odd time too.

We talked about this on Babble. Our receivers can't challenge vertically. The worst set of Int receivers in the CFL. Wolitarsky is the possession guy. 

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We talked about this on Babble. Our receivers can't challenge vertically. The worst set of Int receivers in the CFL. Wolitarsky is the possession guy. 

I’d buy that theory. BUT....

everyone seems to forget way to easily...the facts are....Regina sucks...Rider fans suck... they are inbred. 

Its a fact. Them sucking and inbredding hasn’t changed. It will never change.

Edited by Rod Black

7 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

If I told you I watched a pro QB and his numbers were he threw for 166 yards, 2 picks and 1 TD, you’d probably guess the team lost. He’s just not getting it done. Those numbers suck. Period. I honestly don’t know who I choose him over right now in terms of CFL starting QB’s. 

In Nichols defense, could Doug Flutie put up numbers any better with the sad sack receivers & horizontal offense we have where every play is stretch the field? I think the longest throw was Nichols TD or Streveler's. That was it. Dink & dunk in the flats all game long. Or throw for 5 when we need 10. 

2 minutes ago, pigseye said:

MOS has to start giving Nichols the hook. I'd let him start the Banjo but if he isn't scoring TD's and moving the ball, you gotta pull him, any sane HC would. 

Honestly? I’m not convinced that Streveler can add much at this point. I don’t oppose him playing more but you know that ain’t gonna happen. We need a bundle of help in the receiving department and some serious help in the secondary.

1 minute ago, Dragon37 said:

Honestly? I’m not convinced that Streveler can add much at this point. I don’t oppose him playing more but you know that ain’t gonna happen. We need a bundle of help in the receiving department and some serious help in the secondary.

Agreed, but you can't airlift receivers and DB's in time for next week. You're stuck with roster for now. 

7 minutes ago, pigseye said:

MOS has to start giving Nichols the hook. I'd let him start the Banjo but if he isn't scoring TD's and moving the ball, you gotta pull him, any sane HC would. 

Or just tell Lapo that he needs to run Streveler more as a change of pace.  Ball control offense wins that game tonight easy, control the clock, score one TD in the 2nd half and a couple FG's and you win.

4 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

Streveler is a weapon.  300 yards of offense just from his arm and legs is no problem for him.  Then you have Harris and Demski, Lafrance/Flanders running.  I'm not sure Lapo is the right OC for that style of offense though with a running QB, some option, tons of playaction.  He defaults to drop back passing.  Did it in Streveler's 3rd start, doing it to Nichols every week in the 2nd half.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

What led to the problem with the receiving core was the bust Bowman turned out to be.  Instead of having scouts capable of finding a big impact receiver from down south, the Bombers had to rely on free agency  to give them a complimentary receiver to Adams.  Bowman disappointed (or Nichols can't make a 20+ yard pass on a consistent basis, or both) and the Bombers once again lack depth at receiver.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Streveler is a weapon.  300 yards of offense is no problem for him.  I'm not sure Lapo is the right OC for that style of offense though with a running QB, some option, tons of playaction.  He defaults to drop back passing.  Did it in Streveler's 3rd start, doing it to Nichols every week in the 2nd half.

I think the same way. If fans think having Streveler in there will mean a radical departure from what we're doing now, think again. 

1 minute ago, blueandgoldguy said:

What led to the problem with the receiving core was the bust Bowman turned out to be.  Instead of having scouts capable of finding a big impact receiver from down south, the Bombers had to rely on free agency  to give them a complimentary receiver to Adams.  Bowman disappointed (or Nichols can't make a 20+ yard pass on a consistent basis, or both) and the Bombers once again lack depth at receiver.

Wolitarsky 6'3 220 Simonise 6'5 200.

Have only made big catches when opportunity given.

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

In Nichols defense, could Doug Flutie put up numbers any better with the sad sack receivers & horizontal offense we have where every play is stretch the field? I think the longest throw was Nichols TD or Streveler's. That was it. Dink & dunk in the flats all game long. Or throw for 5 when we need 10. 

Short answer - yes. Flutie could move in the pocket, find the vertical receivers, not check down every other play. Not defending our pedestrian receivers, but come on. There’s no metric where Nichols is succeeding as a QB.