LDC/Banjo Bowl

Floyd

From Kirk Penton's sources:

I can tell you this: If Winnipeg, Saskatchewan or Edmonton gets swept, it’s (bleep) hit the fan time.

And

I took my daughters to see the movie Dumb and Dumber. Felt like I was watching it again when the Bombers were down by 20 points, with one minute left, and they still had (Andrew) Harris and (Matt) Nichols in the game (versus Ottawa). What were Mike (O’Shea) and Paul (LaPolice) thinking?

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

No idea what will happen in this game, I think Sask D will show up, who knows about Collaros, and who knows about the Bomber D. could look great, could look ordinary, could look awful.

My prediction, if Nichols can't move the O, and throws picks, they'll put in Streveler. Don't know how long for, or what'll happen, if Streveler is in and the O does well.

could leave him in, could give him the hook and put Matt back in.

It's a puzzler.

Edited by Mark F

New CFL & Bombers fan here from New Jersey.  ESPN does not have any CFL games on the schedule for the next few weeks.   Is there any way to watch Bombers games streaming over the web?

I guess ESPN must be inundated with poker or drone racing instead of showing actual sports.

17 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

What's so head scratching about it?  Everyone wanted Lankford off the field and moving Adams closer to the QB is a good move.  

What's head scratching about it is that Adams barely makes it through a season without an extending IR visit...  now we're moving him into one of the most high impact spots on the field.

2 hours ago, Jim McD said:

New CFL & Bombers fan here from New Jersey.  ESPN does not have any CFL games on the schedule for the next few weeks.   Is there any way to watch Bombers games streaming over the web?

I guess ESPN must be inundated with poker or drone racing instead of showing actual sports.

Awesome to see fans from south of the border. (even if you're a Bomber fan lol) How long have you followed the CFL? 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

What's head scratching about it is that Adams barely makes it through a season without an extending IR visit...  now we're moving him into one of the most high impact spots on the field.

That's your head scratcher?   There isn't a coach out there that would base their roster decision on the possibility  of a player getting injured.

If that's your "head scratcher" than that's a stretch.    

On 2018-08-29 at 9:52 AM, rebusrankin said:

Riders have 11 offensive touchdowns in 9 games. That's stunningly bad. Of course, their D has 6.

Don’t forget that Brandon Bridge started 5 of those games and went in to the Ottawa game in the second Qtr after Collaros had his bell rung. I believe the score when Collaros went down was 14-14. When Bridge took over the Riders got cleaned!! Or beat up!

Edited by 3RD AND 1
Spelling

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

In the four full games with Collaros, you have 6 offensive TDs. Better but still pretty poor. Also a total of 89 offensive points in those games or 22 per game. Those are Marcel B type numbers.

Well thankfully we have a pretty good D that covered the slack...

3 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

That's your head scratcher?   There isn't a coach out there that would base their roster decision on the possibility  of a player getting injured.

If that's your "head scratcher" than that's a stretch.    

Well that and the fact that Adams is just not an SB

On 2018-08-29 at 11:52 AM, Booch said:

which isn't uncommon...tho I did notice Jeffcoat on sidelines for better part of second half...sans helmet...so musta got knicked up...possibly why we brought in Rivers...though would have much rather flown in Montgomery but he wouldn't be in game shape since camp ended

On 2018-08-29 at 1:04 PM, Mark F said:

Nobody has any idea what Matt says to his teammates.

he should just stay away from the microphone for a few games.

I have heard him say after a bad game " I have to be better" 

tempest in a teapot.  Thanks TSN.

I thought Montgomery would make the team, he was destroying the other team, in his chance in preseason.

maybe he's not interested now.

Totally forgot about Monty. He was impressive. 

Mike O’Shea’s Labour Day History

2017: 38-24 Loss*

2016: 28-25 Win*

2015: 37-19 Loss*

2014: 35-30 Loss

*with Nichols at QB against Saskatchewan

This isn't all on O'Shea because I think we're something like 1-14 in the last 15 LDCs. But O'Shea hasn't been good this year. O'Shea has taken a larger role in running the D and the defence has surrendered 1,016 yards in the last two games. The equivalent of nine football fields.

He's had two particularly bad games that really stand out for me. One was the Ottawa game, the other the loss in BC.

In Ottawa, he failed to protect his star QB by pulling him from a game he was losing badly and wasn't coming back from. It put his QB in a bad place and lead to him saying bad things to the media and has ignited a ****-storm of controversy and negativity. And what's the deal with the penalties? The Ottawa game was horrible with 13 penalties for 80 yards. This was not a game any HC should be proud of.

The other game was earlier in BC, a game we were winning 17-0 well into the second half when O'Shea decided to gamble, twice, on third down, and lost them both. Both times we were deep in BC territory. Had he taken the chip-shot FGs we win easily. Lapo doesn't escape scrutiny on this one either. The first fail was calling a play in shotgun where you need 3 yards but which automatically puts you 4 yards into the backfield. The second was calling a sweep on third-and-one which lost 3 yards. This ignited BC's fading hopes and lead to a thrilling comeback win for BC as time expired. Just the dumbest coaching ever. Anyone remember the 52-0 drubbing when Tim Burke was here? Lapo's prints were all over that team too. 

On a positive note, after that stinker in BC we went on to beat Toronto back-to-back. I suppose we can hope for a similar result now although Sask ain't Toronto. The embarrassment of getting curb-stomped by Ottawa and then Calgary will not compare to the angst the fans will feel if we lose the next two to Sask. Really, even one loss to Sask is one too many.

If this team tanks, loses the next two to Sask and fails to make the playoffs and if O'Shea does get fired, to me, for this season, it started with the BC game.

Edited by J5V
Grammar

8 minutes ago, J5V said:

Mike O’Shea’s Labour Day History

2017: 38-24 Loss*

2016: 28-25 Win*

2015: 37-19 Loss*

2014: 35-30 Loss

*with Nichols at QB against Saskatchewan

This isn't all on O'Shea because I think we're something like 1-14 in the last 15 LDCs. But O'Shea hasn't been good this year. O'Shea has taken a larger role in running the D and the defence has surrendered 1,016 yards in the last two games. The equivalent of nine football fields.

He's had two particularly bad games that really stand out for me. One was the Ottawa game, the other the loss in BC.

In Ottawa, he failed to protect his star QB by pulling him from a game he was losing badly and wasn't coming back from. It put his QB in a bad place and lead to him saying bad things to the media and has ignited a ****-storm of controversy and negativity. And what's the deal with the penalties? The Ottawa game was horrible with 13 penalties for 80 yards. This was not a game any HC should be proud of.

The other game was earlier in BC, a game we were winning 17-0 well into the second half when O'Shea decided to gamble, twice, on third down, and lost them both. Both times we were deep in BC territory. Had he taken the chip-shot FGs we win easily. Lapo doesn't escape scrutiny on this one either. The first fail was calling a play in shotgun where you need 3 yards but which automatically puts you 4 yards into the backfield. The second was calling a sweep on third-and-one which lost 3 yards. This ignited BC's fading hopes and lead to a thrilling comeback win for BC as time expired. Just the dumbest coaching ever. Anyone remember the 52-0 drubbing when Tim Burke was here? Lapo's prints were all over that team too. 

On a positive note, after that stinker in BC we went on to beat Toronto back-to-back. I suppose we can hope for a similar result now although Sask ain't Toronto. The embarrassment of getting curb-stomped by Ottawa and then Calgary will not compare to the angst the fans will feel if we lose the next two to Sask. Really, even one loss to Sask is one too many.

If this team tanks, loses the next two to Sask and fails to make the playoffs and if O'Shea does get fired, to me, for this season, it started with the BC game.

2015 was Brian Brohm at QB. Nichols had been acquired but his first start was in the Banjo Bowl that year. 

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

5-7 = coach fired?? Lol

Its not just the losses that have put O'Shea on the hot seat. Its the downward trajectory this year, two consecutive blowouts going into the LDC/Banjo Bowl series, his (at least perceived) unwillingness to dump unproductive coaches and players and questionable player management. None of these are fatal by themselves but they do add up to problems. If the Bombers get blown out in Regina and lose again in the Banjo Bowl, O'Shea and Co. are in trouble.