Matt Nichols -BOO!!!!!!!

who expected Nichols to implode like this?  Five interceptions thrown in a half, two cancelled by penalties. wow.

If Nichols had played as well this season as he did since he took over, this entire situation would be much better.

Don't know what happened to him, but it has to a significant extent ruined this season.

I'm not expecting him to turn it around. 

Also, it's on the coach, the head coach,  that they didn't get some time for Streveler as this was unfolding, and did not seem to have plays for his abilities,  when he finally went in. 

Maybe somebody can offer a reasonable explanation for that apparent mistake.

This is just from an ordinary fan, maybe there's something I'm missing due to lack of knowledge.

Edited by Mark F

29 minutes ago, Mark F said:

who expected Nichols to implode like this?  Five interceptions thrown in a half, two cancelled by penalties. wow.

If Nichols had played as well this season as he did since he took over, this entire situation would be much better.

Don't know what happened to him, but it has to a significant extent ruined this season.

Also, it's on the coach, the head coach,  that they didn't get some time for Streveler as this was unfolding, and did not seem to have plays for his abilities,  when he finally went in. 

This is just from an ordinary fan, maybe there's something I'm missing due to lack of knowledge.

You’re right. And it’s also on the coaching staff to help coach him out of this funk. Nichols has never been BLM or Reilly, but he’s shown he’s be an average CFL starter. Now he’s in Willy-meltdown zone. Feel for him, but it’s pro sports. 

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

If Nichols had played as well this season as he did since he took over, this entire situation would be much better. Don't know what happened to him, but it has to a significant extent ruined this season. I'm not expecting him to turn it around. 

Maybe somebody can offer a reasonable explanation for that apparent mistake.This is just from an ordinary fan, maybe there's something I'm missing due to lack of knowledge.

Nichols was showing some concerning signs late last year, but his play has deteriorated right into disastrous. The coaches ought to have been giving Streveler more time over the past 5 games or so when it was obvious that Nichols was struggling for reasons that we will probably never know. That is all on the coaches- O'Shea in particular and maybe LaPolice as well. We had concerns about Hall's defence before the season started but right now that is a secondary issue. We are in real trouble here, folks, and it looks like the only two teams we can beat might be the Argos and Als.

Rock bottom was when the Nichols anti-bullying video played in the third quarter and it got booed.

i don't even want to dwell on his performance, it's just beating a dead horse at this point.

Hopefully now that Streveler has some meaningful film to watch, he can build off the mistakes he made and get things moving.  We don't need him to throw for 400 yds a game, just need to move the ball consistently, score points once in a while and give the D enough rest to play well themselves.

the bye week, despite what the TSN panel said, I think couldn't have come at a better time!

2 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

Rock bottom was when the Nichols anti-bullying video played in the third quarter and it got booed.

i don't even want to dwell on his performance, it's just beating a dead horse at this point.

Hopefully now that Streveler has some meaningful film to watch, he can build off the mistakes he made and get things moving.  We don't need him to throw for 400 yds a game, just need to move the ball consistently, score points once in a while and give the D enough rest to play well themselves.

the bye week, despite what the TSN panel said, I think couldn't have come at a better time!

I do not think there is any magic fix for this mess, and two weeks off is no cure, either. I suspect that Miller and Walters will be having some heart to heart talks very soon.

18 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Anonymous thoughts from CFL general managers and coaches

I wouldn’t want to be around Wade Miller if the Bombers lose on Saturday. He’s a guy who loves the Bombers, wants to win a championship and when he isn’t happy everyone (bleeping) knows it. Heads are going to roll over there if things don’t change fast. Wade’s not going to put up with bull(bleep) excuses …

Nothing will happen. Unlike the other CFL teams there is no sense of urgency to win in Winnipeg. Team will go 5 and 13 this year, will make minor player changes and lose a number of high profile free agents this off-season. Next year should be something like a 2 and 16 campaign. After that, the BOD will can Miller and the rest of the staff and then bring in another Jeff Reinhold type to run it all who is one of the buddies of a BOD member.

Sound familiar? If you know anything about this team, it should.

Edited by TheSource

2 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Nothing will happen. Unlike the other CFL teams there is no sense of urgency to win in Winnipeg. Team will go 5 and 13 this year, will make minor player changes and lose a number of high profile free agents this off-season. Next year should be something like a 2 and 16 campaign. After that, the BOD will can Miller and the works and then bring in another Jeff Reinhold type to run it all from one of the buddies of a BOD member.

Sound familiar? If you know anything aboutv this team, it should.

The only difference will be there are none of the previous members of the BoD there any more. That is the good or bad of it. What you said was certainly the previous pattern.

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

The irony.

I think the bye week comes at exactly the right time for us.

We should get a couple of big name players like Dressler and Hardrick back. Guys with injuries who haven't been practicing like Harris will benefit too. IF we choose to start Streveler (Not likely IMO), we have time to make some tweaks to the plays to give him the best chance to succeed. We come back against one of the worst teams in the league which should help our confidence. 

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I think the bye week comes at exactly the right time for us.

We should get a couple of big name players like Dressler and Hardrick back. Guys with injuries who haven't been practicing like Harris will benefit too. IF we choose to start Streveler (Not likely IMO), we have time to make some tweaks to the plays to give him the best chance to succeed. We come back against one of the worst teams in the league which should help our confidence. 

LOL

Unless they lose to Montreal, and I think they will.

Bombers had to be pumped sky high for those two games against Sask to even keep it close because the quality of personnel onfield right now is not very good at almost every position.

A letdown and a blowout loss is bound to happen soon, particularly when playing an opponent that they "think" they can beat.

A bye week is mostly meaningless on an organisation that is resistant to change and improvement, other than as you point out, it will allow some players to heal up.

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

I said this on the other forum, seems apprporiate to say it here: MOS has made lots of mistakes and his seeming arrogance and stubbornness could well cost him his job here. But what we mainly have had this season is a problem with underproduction at the QB position. For several years the problem was on defence - giving up too many yards, points and explosion plays. That meant the O had to score a gazillion points for the Bombers to win because the D surrendered so many to the opponent. Now that the D has tightened up a bit but the O can't produce. Obviously there is a problem with Nichols (he is likely done) but I think they also need to take a look at how that QB situation was managed. That means taking a look at Lapo and - sorry to say it but - QB coach Buck Pierce.

3 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I said this on the other forum, seems apprporiate to say it here: MOS has made lots of mistakes and his seeming arrogance and stubbornness could well cost him his job here. But what we mainly have had this season is a problem with underproduction at the QB position. For several years the problem was on defence - giving up too many yards, points and explosion plays. That meant the O had to score a gazillion points for the Bombers to win because the D surrendered so many to the opponent. Now that the D has tightened up a bit but the O can't produce. Obviously there is a problem with Nichols (he is likely done) but I think they also need to take a look at how that QB situation was managed. That means taking a look at Lapo and - sorry to say it but - QB coach Buck Pierce.

I agree, I keep thinking of what a mess Calvillo was in 2007 and them along came Trestman and he was the best qb in the league for the next 5 years. 

3 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

And the D was never that bad.  The O has struggled forever to be consistent.  Bombers have been best field position team for years and always one of the best turning the ball over defensively since 2016.  O has had amazing games and games where they can’t get a first down.  I’ve been sounding this alarm for at least a year.  It’s blatantly obvious and shouldn’t take a bunch of games where the O scores more for the opposing team than ours to make significant changes.

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The D has 11 imports + DI's to make Hall look better than he really is.

We use almost all our NI's on offence, which makes PLAP look worse than he really is. We're still leading the league in points for. 

That was so crazy yesterday 8 Canadians on offence. Don't think I've seen that before - ever. I don't agree that makes Lapo look bad however. The planning, lack of adjustment, situational play-calling, hasn't been very good. And, obviously execution at QB position has been inferior.

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The D has 11 imports + DI's to make Hall look better than he really is.

We use almost all our NI's on offence, which makes PLAP look worse than he really is. We're still leading the league in points for. 

I don't know about that, the D was crappy using all those imports before, I just think they are starting to come together. The O has had so many injuries to receivers and linemen that there is no continuity. 

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

Don't think you missed anything.