Matt Nichols -BOO!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What about this season? What's with all the long pass attempts lately? That **** clearly isn't working, so why do it? Why not go back to what worked in the past?

Nichols needs to be way better in his execution but the play-calling lately has been utter trash.

O-line is not as good and Nichols has zero escapability.  The poor passes are mostly on Nichols, not Lapo....never had a great long ball but it is worse this year.  Nichols has options on every play...it's not a set play to throw the ball 5 or 6 yards when the team needs 9.  He has options out there beyond the first down marker, but he either doesn't want to make those passes or he is incapable of it.

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

P

When your running back rushes for less than 17 yards play action is pretty useless.

Pretty likely cuz defenders get drawn to him like magnets.  Do something to use him as a decoy or something to open up the field.

Lapolice has to stop being predictable which is allowing opposing DCs to send all out blitzes on Nichols.

6 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

O-line is not as good and Nichols has zero escapability.  The poor passes are mostly on Nichols, not Lapo....never had a great long ball but it is worse this year.  Nichols has options on every play...it's not a set play to throw the ball 5 or 6 yards when the team needs 9.  He has options out there beyond the first down marker, but he either doesn't want to make those passes or he is incapable of it.

He was making some of those throws just fine when Lapo was actually going in an up tempo offense, so yes it was Lapo calling predictable formations most of the game as well as run plays that the Stamps jumped all over.

No changeups or creativity today whatsoever.

21 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Matt's mobility is crap...He cannot escape the pressure when he has to and when he does his accuracy is far below par...Someone said putting in Streveler is like opening  Pandora's box....I'd say it's already open

I think it was opened when Matt criticized the fans for booing him.

35 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What about this season? What's with all the long pass attempts lately? That **** clearly isn't working, so why do it? Why not go back to what worked in the past?

Nichols needs to be way better in his execution but the play-calling lately has been utter trash.

Did I not see a stat saying the Bombers were third over all in some kind of longest td's stat ?....... if Matt could have hit his long shots today he would have been a hero.... for some reason he couldn't today

28 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

But there were some bad drops too.

Adams did not play very well, and dropped balls that I think he should have caught.

Edmonton guys routinely make those catches. Ditto Calgary receivers. 

Really The only wideout we have that is consistent and reliable at getting open, and catching the ball, is Dressler.

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I would give it one more week...  if this team loses on Labor Day then I’d do some sort of shake up. Either start streveler or fire hall.

We've seen how we stack up against the best in the East and West the last 2 weeks (both blowouts losses). It's pretty clear that we can't compete against the best. I don't know what the answers are but I know that doing nothing shouldn't even be an option. 

3 minutes ago, Mark F said:

But there were some bad drops too.

Adams did not play very well, and dropped balls that I think he should have caught.

Edmonton guys routinely make those catches. Ditto Calgary receivers. 

Really The only wideout we have that is consistent and reliable at getting open, and catching the ball, is Dressler.

Every team faces drops from their receivers yet they are still able to battle through it and post respectable numbers and win the game.  Look at Masoli the other day.  there were two times late in the game that a well-thrown pass went off the receivers facemask.  The receivers misjudged the throws.  The second one with the wide open receiver has particularly egregious.  Yet, on the very next play Masoli found another receiver for the TD.  Shortly after he marched his team down the field for the winning field goal.  When the receivers didn't come through in the clutch, he still managed to drive his team down the field.  At this point, nichols is playing so poorly that a few dropped balls breaks the offense.

So Nichols said he went through 4 or 5 reads and receivers were not open.  On the post game show they were going over the stats.  Nichols was 16-23 on passes of 5 yards or less and 4 of 11 on passes of 10 yards or more.  I think it is safe to say it isn't on lapo that the team is incapable of stringing together first downs thanks to the conservative passing.  Nichols is not capable at this point of finding an open receiver 10 yards down the field

54 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

So Nichols said he went through 4 or 5 reads and receivers were not open.  On the post game show they were going over the stats.  Nichols was 16-23 on passes of 5 yards or less and 4 of 11 on passes of 10 yards or more.  I think it is safe to say it isn't on lapo that the team is incapable of stringing together first downs thanks to the conservative passing.  Nichols is not capable at this point of finding an open receiver 10 yards down the field

The play calling can affect whether or not you find them open or have a chance to throw them open with certain passes.

I also think we should start looking at using two RBs in sets either for a little extra protection, or to have Harris be a decoy for Flanders or LeFrance to get open on those flat routes.

Edited by USABomberfan

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Interesting quote from Bob on the post-game show:

When the coach starts listening to the fans, he'll soon be sitting with them.

Yeah, but Bob is pretty much an angry sounding broken record on this stuff who has always focused primarily on pandering to Blue brass. I mean, how many times can you say, no excuse me, yell (as Bob routinely does): "Well, who does that?" whenever someone has the temerity to suggest that it might be time to try something different than trotting out Nichols, again and again, until the game is out of reach.

Yes, the D ended up giving up a lot of yards today. But only after the O s*** the bed again and again and again. The D held a very powerful offense to 12 points until well into the 3rd quarter. What was the time of possession? Yardage stats? It has to have hugely favoured the Stamps...you're only going to hold BLM and Dave D. in check for so long. Your bloody O has to do something. So, to Bob's question: who does that? Well, Wally Buono does that. Chris Jones does that. Rick Campbell does that. All have "done that" (i.e. pulled the starter) in the recent past and all have won Grey Cups.

What's the definition of insanity, according to Einstein? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. That's what we did with Nichols again today. Putting Streveler in would qualify as something different. I mean, what's Bob's solution? Answer: Just keep defending Blue brass' stubborn stupidity? Just keep endlessly repeating "who does that?" I mean, how's that philosophy working out for us?

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd