That was painful...

DougR

I was only able to listen to the game on CJOB last night from New Mexico but, it was still very painful.  And we have the Stampeders next week?  Yikes!

Thinking about the worst case scenario next week, if the Bombers end up 5 - 5, what are your thoughts about the remaining games, chances of making it in the playoffs and how far our team can go this year?

Sunday, September 2 2018
Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan
Saturday, September 8 2018
Saskatchewan @ Winnipeg
Friday, September 21 2018
Montreal @ Winnipeg
Saturday, September 29 2018
Winnipeg @ Edmonton
Friday, October 5 2018
Winnipeg @ Ottawa
Saturday, October 13 2018
Saskatchewan @ Winnipeg
Friday, October 26 2018
Calgary @ Winnipeg
Saturday, November 3 2018
Winnipeg @ Edmonton

A video illustrating our team's performance last night at home? 

9 hours ago, DougR said:

Thinking about the worst case scenario next week, if the Bombers end up 5 - 5, what are your thoughts about the remaining games, chances of making it in the playoffs and how far our team can go this year?

I would say the chances of making the playoffs are pretty good, since 6 of 9 teams make the playoffs, and Montreal and Toronto both look awful... we just need one of BC or Saskatchewan to crash and burn and we'd be in. As for the Grey Cup, anything can happen if you get there. The last two years the champion has had a .500 or worse record.

Unfortunately, we're in the West, so we would likely have to go through Calgary or Edmonton to get there. We could sneak in through the East via a cross-over, but historically speaking, no crossover team has ever won a Grey Cup.

Hmmm. Not sure. Toronto is starting to win. Ottawa leads the East. Hamilton has been hot and cold.

I'd say we would have a better shot of going through the East, but there might not be a cross over spot this year. 

Bombers need to stay ahead of SK and B.C. 

We could still finish in 2nd, but Nichols needs to start playing better or else 3rd or 4th is where we'll be at.

12 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Hmmm. Not sure. Toronto is starting to win. Ottawa leads the East. Hamilton has been hot and cold.

I'd say we would have a better shot of going through the East, but there might not be a cross over spot this year. 

We could still finish in 2nd, but Nichols needs to start playing better or else 3rd or 4th is where we'll be at.

Toronto's wins have come from Ottawa just falling asleep and beating a below average BC team...  I'd love to see us with crossover

2 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

I’m sorry but this Bombers team is not better than the Eskimos. Not going to happen.

I believe, we hold the tie-breaker against the Leos 

19 hours ago, Goalie said:

1 and done likely in the playoffs. 

Our schedule says: 
CGY 2x
EDM 2x
SSK 3x
OTT 1x
MTL 1x

I think there's hope, 3-4 wins should be doable... with Nichols or Streveller.
and remember, we hold the tie-breaker against the Leos 

As screwed-up as the Riders are, I am starting to dread the upcoming home-and-home series with them. The Riders have an excellent defence and for all his failings, Jones is a very good DC, so our stumbling offence could get their lunches eaten big time. And if our defence plays as they did Friday,even a popgun offence might be good enough to beat them. We need reason to hope.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

As screwed-up as the Riders are, I am starting to dread the upcoming home-and-home series with them. The Riders have an excellent defence and for all his failings, Jones is a very good DC, so our stumbling offence could get their lunches eaten big time. And if our defence plays as they did Friday,even a popgun offence might be good enough to beat them. We need reason to hope.

Agreed. Personally, I think whoever wins that season series goes to the post-season.

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I believe, we hold the tie-breaker against the Leos 

Our schedule says: 
CGY 2x
EDM 2x
SSK 3x
OTT 1x
MTL 1x

I think there's hope, 3-4 wins should be doable... with Nichols or Streveller.
and remember, we hold the tie-breaker against the Leos 

where do you see 3-4 wins here? Maybe Mtl and maybe 2 with Sask (will feel better once I see them today against the Stamps). I see 2 and maybe 3 wins but that is all. More like 2 ( 1 with Sask and 1 with Montreal). Best shot is that we finish 7-11 or 8-10 IMHO.

1 hour ago, BBRT said:

where do you see 3-4 wins here? Maybe Mtl and maybe 2 with Sask (will feel better once I see them today against the Stamps). I see 2 and maybe 3 wins but that is all. More like 2 ( 1 with Sask and 1 with Montreal). Best shot is that we finish 7-11 or 8-10 IMHO.

The sky isn't falling people; here's how I see it:

Calgary - No CFL has gone undefeated in the current 18-game format. The big advantage here is our home game against them is in Week 19. Assuming the Stamps keep up their torrid pace, they might've already locked up first at this point, which could mean an easy win for the Bombers if they rest their regular starters. If they somehow are unbeaten still at that point - you don't think the Bombers would be frothing at the mouth to hand them their first loss of the season?
Edmonton - we only lost by 3 with Streveler at the helm, I think we come out ahead in two of three phases (defense / special teams, though EDM D also looks awful). A split here is reasonable.
Saskatchewan - Even with a stronger D for Sask - I think we still come out ahead in the other two phases (offense / special teams), also two of these are at home, which should help the Blue and Gold here. Also - a SSK win tonight might mean they think they are world beaters heading into the back-to-back against us.
Ottawa - I would argue our team was fat and happy on Friday night and underestimated Ottawa. The end result was a blowout, but remember that up until the 3rd quarter, we had kept it close before a major defensive breakdown. Nichols' fumble was the straw that broke the camel's back, as even at that point they were driving and it was still a two-possession game (score was 30-14 at that point).
Montreal - The general consensus here is this game is a bingo space for us.

So a win against OTT, EDM, one against SSK and against MTL gives us 4...meaning 9-9.
Win the season series against SSK and beat up CAL's backups in week 19 gives us 6, making us 11-7.

13 hours ago, TheBandit said:

Their offense and defence is easily better than the Bombers. How can you even question that? 

Easily? 

Yes, I would question that. Edmonton’s offence is driven, and pulled along by Reilly. He has relied heavily on above average receptions by his receivers. I’ve not seen such reliance on great catches in a long time. Don’t get me wrong, Reilly has proven to be the best, Just because the Bombers are susceptible to his comebacks doesn’t mean he can’t be beat.

And the defences? I see problems in both team defences. There’s no way their defence is ‘better’ than ours.

We are very evenly matched. Reilly has been the difference..

Edited by Mr Dee

4 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

The sky isn't falling people; here's how I see it:

Calgary - No CFL has gone undefeated in the current 18-game format. The big advantage here is our home game against them is in Week 19. Assuming the Stamps keep up their torrid pace, they might've already locked up first at this point, which could mean an easy win for the Bombers if they rest their regular starters. If they somehow are unbeaten still at that point - you don't think the Bombers would be frothing at the mouth to hand them their first loss of the season?
Edmonton - we only lost by 3 with Streveler at the helm, I think we come out ahead in two of three phases (defense / special teams, though EDM D also looks awful). A split here is reasonable.
Saskatchewan - Even with a stronger D for Sask - I think we still come out ahead in the other two phases (offense / special teams), also two of these are at home, which should help the Blue and Gold here. Also - a SSK win tonight might mean they think they are world beaters heading into the back-to-back against us.
Ottawa - I would argue our team was fat and happy on Friday night and underestimated Ottawa. The end result was a blowout, but remember that up until the 3rd quarter, we had kept it close before a major defensive breakdown. Nichols' fumble was the straw that broke the camel's back, as even at that point they were driving and it was still a two-possession game (score was 30-14 at that point).
Montreal - The general consensus here is this game is a bingo space for us.

So a win against OTT, EDM, one against SSK and against MTL gives us 4...meaning 9-9.
Win the season series against SSK and beat up CAL's backups in week 19 gives us 6, making us 11-7.

I think the flaw in your logic may be that you are assuming that Nichols will perform better than Streveler and at this point, that is highly debatable.

Nichols does need to play better but I think we would had lost this game even if Mike Reilly was our quarterback.  How many penalties did Nichols take?  This game IMO was lost on undisciplined play across the board.  How many 2 point converts and touchdown drives by ottawa had occurred after Winnipeg got the stop only to have given Ottawa a second life through a pentalty?  Most of the time it was a penalty that had nothing to do with making the defensive stop. I’m sorry but this was one of Nichols better games this season. If the defense and the offense hadn’t taken uncharacteristic penalties we’d be celebrating a win and nichols likely ends up with 300 yards passing and zero turnovers. 

It doesn’t bother me that he was boo’d but did we really expect Matt Nichols to put up 45 points and win the game. He never had and never will be that type of quarterback. We can win with Nichols but not like this.  With Nichols as our qb we need to do all the little things Right and we found out what happens when we do all the little things wrong.

Edited by Colin Unger
Typo