Paul Lapolice

Goalie

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

Why is everyone shitting on the offense?   The defense was the ones who were absolutely putrid.   I can see the complaints about Hall and the soft cushion and shitting on Fogg for getting burned all night long  (he looked winded)  but crap the offense wasn't and hasn't nearly been as bad as the defense in our losses.

They both have been, and its cyclical. You go 2 and out none stop, more then half your drives consist of 5 plays or less including a punt and you lose field position your defense stays on the field longer your offense plays from worse field position gets discouraged by the score etc. 

2 and outs, and the offense going MIA for extended periods has been a problem for a long while. The defense playing soft af in coverage and constantly letting the other team drive the field through the air has been a problem for a long while. 

18 hours ago, wbbfan said:

They both have been, and its cyclical. You go 2 and out none stop, more then half your drives consist of 5 plays or less including a punt and you lose field position your defense stays on the field longer your offense plays from worse field position gets discouraged by the score etc. 

2 and outs, and the offense going MIA for extended periods has been a problem for a long while. The defense playing soft af in coverage and constantly letting the other team drive the field through the air has been a problem for a long while. 

The players still have to execute, you can have the best game plan in the world but it won't matter if the players don't execute. It doesn't have to be about dropping passes or missing throws either, it can be as small as missing a block or being yard off your route. It's the execution of the details that sets players/teams apart. 

12 minutes ago, pigseye said:

The players still have to execute, you can have the best game plan in the world but it won't matter if the players don't execute. It doesn't have to be about dropping passes or missing throws either, it can be as small as missing a block or being yard off your route. It's the execution of the details that sets players/teams apart. 

A QB who is mobile and can ad lib and throw on the fly can hide a lot of the mistakes made in front him.

9 hours ago, pigseye said:

They do. The problem is when you execute the defensive scheme to perfection, but that still gives up the first down a lot of times. Or you execute on offense but the defense has a better play call, or a personnel miss match etc. Its not a one dimensional problem we have, but it starts with the coaching and trickles down. every one has a slice of the blame pie. 

9 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

A QB who is mobile and can ad lib and throw on the fly can hide a lot of the mistakes made in front him.

Thats true. the trouble with them is flipping the switch between running and throwing. You can have a perfect play call for a deep ball, guy gets open but due to early pressure the qb runs rather then stepping up. The best running qbs in history have this problem early on. And often when they slow down with age, develop that ability to switch between smoothly and idealy. 

Man, I have to say Lapolice was the goat today.

I know fans are going to be merciless on Nichols again with some of the sacks and the pick he threw, but I blame some of this on Lapo.

Good lord what is this predictable run on first down and leave Nichols in 2nd and long all the time crap?  Why do you wait until late in the game to call a tempo offense and in between then squeeze the play calling down instead of open it up?

Lapo, you can do better than that I seen you do so, but today .... Sorry you're in the dog house.

7 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Man, I have to say Lapolice was the goat today.

I know fans are going to be merciless on Nichols again with some of the sacks and the pick he threw, but I blame some of this on Lapo.

Good lord what is this predictable run on first down and leave Nichols in 2nd and long all the time crap?  Why do you wait until late in the game to call a tempo offense and in between then squeeze the play calling down instead of open it up?

Lapo, you can do better than that I seen you do so, but today .... Sorry you're in the dog house.

LaPo hasn't been good for Nichols lately, and Nichols hasn't been good for LaPo.

Plap? Folks are blaming PLAP? 

Adams was wide open, behind everyone. A great aggressive play call. Excellent execution by everyone except Nichols. 1 yard deeper pass and it's a big play. 2-10 yards deeper and it's a TD. A turning point in the game IMO. 

We went away from the run because Nichols and Demski got stuffed by a very good Calgary defense. Anyone want to guess what would have happened if we kept running the ball? My guess is more of the same.

Receivers got open. Nichols either missed them or didn't throw to them. That's not on PLAP.

30 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Adams was wide open, behind everyone. A great aggressive play call. Excellent execution by everyone except Nichols. 1 yard deeper pass and it's a big play. 2-10 yards deeper and it's a TD. A turning point in the game IMO. 

We went away from the run because Nichols and Demski got stuffed by a very good Calgary defense. Anyone want to guess what would have happened if we kept running the ball? My guess is more of the same.

Receivers got open. Nichols either missed them or didn't throw to them. That's not on PLAP.

But but but, Matt Nichols said nobody was open all game......

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Adams get open ... drops the ball. Lankford gets open ... drops the ball. What's the use?

Without reading a whole lot of comments. My take on Paul Lapolice is 3 parts. 

I remember Paul as the OC in SK and having to endure Jason Armstead heading to the back of the end zone for supposedly the last play of the 2009 G.C.  Only to lose on the 13th man penalty. 

Then I remember Paul going on to become the HC in Winnipeg. Taking the Bombers to the Grey Cup and facing the Lions in BC  and losing to the home team. 

Then the following year Paul seemed to have lost the locker room. His GM at the time gave Paul zero support. Paul suffered 3 devistating events in 3 years. 

To me Paul is a pretty good OC. Yet I’m not a fan of his run on 1st and pass on 2nd down game plan. When Paul gets on that roll and the RB is stuffed every 1st down it becomes annoying. For the most part though Paul can game plan and get his fair share of wins. The one thing that has bugged me from the beginning is his inability to use Dressler properly. He gets Weston injured far too much. After Paul left for the 2010 season. Dressler went on and had some personally good years. No injuries and playing a big part on the team. Since Lapolice and Dressler have been back together in Winnipeg. Weston is once again used as if he was a standard sized person and getting rocked. Last year, this year 6 game IR. I’m sure if I look back Weston’s first year in Winnipeg with LaPo saw him getting injured. He’s still too good for the Bombers not to have in their lineup. 

11 minutes ago, J5V said:

Adams get open ... drops the ball. Lankford gets open ... drops the ball. What's the use?

We have no one that will make the contested catches like we saw last night in the Lions/Riders game. We have the worst set of receivers in the CFL. Even worse than the Als. They don't stack up to other teams. If Nichols isn't missing them downfield then they're dropping passes. We can't go deep nor can our receivers fight for the ball & make the catch.  I like what Wolitarsky did yesterday & he should be used more but he's no deep threat. 

3 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

I remember Paul as the OC in SK and having to endure Jason Armstead heading to the back of the end zone for supposedly the last play of the 2009 G.C.  Only to lose on the 13th man penalty. 

Then I remember Paul going on to become the HC in Winnipeg. Taking the Bombers to the Grey Cup and facing the Lions in BC  and losing to the home team. 

Then the following year Paul seemed to have lost the locker room. His GM at the time gave Paul zero support. Paul suffered 3 devistating events in 3 years. 

To me Paul is a pretty good OC. Yet I’m not a fan of his run on 1st and pass on 2nd down game plan. When Paul gets on that roll and the RB is stuffed every 1st down it becomes annoying. For the most part though Paul can game plan and get his fair share of wins. The one thing that has bugged me from the beginning is his inability to use Dressler properly. He gets Weston injured far too much. After Paul left for the 2010 season. Dressler went on and had some personally good years. No injuries and playing a big part on the team. Since Lapolice and Dressler have been back together in Winnipeg. Weston is once again used as if he was a standard sized person and getting rocked. Last year, this year 6 game IR. I’m sure if I look back Weston’s first year in Winnipeg with LaPo saw him getting injured. He’s still too good for the Bombers not to have in their lineup. 

Lapo has rarely committed to the run in his career as a play caller.  That’s one of his faults IMO.  He makes his offences one dimensional and he’s rarely had the talent to get away with it, and it’s rare to have that talent.  Like even BLM and Reilly stall out without some run complement.

6 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

LaPo uses Dressler on that fly sweep & he's too small as he gets rocked by a linebacker. He has been injured on that play before but when he gets back he'll no doubt use him again on the same play.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

LaPo uses Dressler on that fly sweep & he's too small as he gets rocked by a linebacker. He has been injured on that play before but when he gets back he'll no doubt use him again on the same play.

Another demo of the brilliance of our coaching staff.

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

I don't understand the hate for LaPo...  he's not the one holding onto the ball to long and not making the right reads.   It's not like the guy suddenly forgets to call the right plays.    

I don't hate Lapo and I think he calls more good games than bad, but this last game he seemed to forget that you have to keep defenses off balance by changing things up a little.  Just seemed like most the second half of that CGY game he failed to do this.  If I can sit and watch and have a fairly good sense of when he's going to pass or not get baited up by any of his trick plays, I'm pretty sure the Stamps coaches could see the same thing.  Yes Nichols was missing throws he probably should have made, but if your QB is struggling, you should start drives with an uptempo quick pass offense or something to start getting his confidence back up.  I just didn't see any of this until way late in the game.

I think the thing is you can have a fairly vanilla or predictable play call plan against teams like MTL, Toronto or even sometimes BC or Edmonton and get away with it.  Against Calgary, you can't or they'll jump all over what you're doing.

6 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Lapo has rarely committed to the run in his career as a play caller.  That’s one of his faults IMO.  He makes his offences one dimensional and he’s rarely had the talent to get away with it, and it’s rare to have that talent.  Like even BLM and Reilly stall out without some run complement.

Yup....that's why Harris almost set the record for rushing and receiving last season

51 minutes ago, blitzmore said:

Yup....that's why Harris almost set the record for rushing and receiving last season

And if he's down two scores it's usually like he doesn't even have a RB dressed.  How crazy is that?

Look at all the Bomber losses the last three seasons and the correlation to Harris having single digit carries, and entire 2nd and/or 3rd quarters without touching the ball.  Get behind, go one dimensional, ignore your most potent weapon, lose 90% of the time.