Paul Lapolice

Goalie

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

What a crap game called by Lapo... no adjustments, not using his receivers properly, garbage run game...  fire that guy right now!

Oh did I say Lapo... sorry I meant Dickenson...  

My bad.

21 of Calgary's 27 points came in the second half. Adjustments offensively were not a problem.

1 hour ago, Mr. Perfect said:

21 of Calgary's 27 points came in the second half. Adjustments offensively were not a problem.

Hmm... 30-6  if that were a Bomber game, we would be writing off the second half as garbage time points...  Sask was already in prevent

Hurl and Judge were on the field together for a lot of that second half

Calgary basically had one good series in that whole game after the Marshall TD and then went back to a very predictable game

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So far this season, we have 183 points in the first half of games (20.3ppg) and 106 in the second half of games (11.7ppg). Those numbers seem to say Lapo can't or doesn't make adjustments.

They also suggest that the team plays with a lead a lot of the time, which every team in the CFL gets more conservative with. 

On 2018-08-18 at 12:48 PM, TheSource said:

The fact is that the Bombers have 4 Canadian receivers in Desmski, Wolitarsky, Simonise, and Peterman who are all good but essentially playing the same role. They go out to catch 3 yard curls and then try to break tackles for 3 more yards. They are not guys who can get separation or run 40 yard game breaking plays. You can also add Dressler into that same type of role as an import as well - just substitute the 3 yard curl with the jet sweep. There is a big gap in the Bomber offensive strategy in that they have good talent, but not the right talent to make it hard on opposing defenses.

If that's your take on our 4 Canadian receivers this year, I have to wonder if you've even watched a single moment of Bomber football. Not a single one of them plays the same role, they're all surprisingly good at creating their own room on the field, especially for their experience level and I can remember a BUNCH of game breaking plays from the four of them.

On 2018-08-18 at 12:48 PM, TheSource said:

There is an assumption here that is incorrect, and that is the one that states "the O appears to be loaded with talent".

The fact is that the Bombers have 4 Canadian receivers in Desmski, Wolitarsky, Simonise, and Peterman who are all good but essentially playing the same role. They go out to catch 3 yard curls and then try to break tackles for 3 more yards. They are not guys who can get separation or run 40 yard game breaking plays. You can also add Dressler into that same type of role as an import as well - just substitute the 3 yard curl with the jet sweep. There is a big gap in the Bomber offensive strategy in that they have good talent, but not the right talent to make it hard on opposing defenses.

In a nutshell, that is the system Bombers are employing, and they have gone out like the dumbasses they are and recruited just Canadian receivers so they are now locked into this strategy long term. Every team in the league is now figuring out how to stop it by keeping everybody short and playing man on Adams with safety help, or not even bothering, and just letting him go because Bombers seldom go deep, and when they do Nichols botches the throw at least half the time. There are some losing times coming ahead for this club because it will not be easy to move away from Lapo's strategies now that the team is mortgaged so heavily by their silly recruiting practices.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. Our receiving corps doesn't scare anyone. Harris is the straw that stirs the Bombers drink and if you take the straw away you will find there is nothing much else in the glass. 

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think our receivers overall are fine (when Dressler is in there anyway), I think the problems are a one trick pony Lapolice who if what he cooks up isn't working doesn't know how to change things. 

Fine will get you wins against the bottom half of the league, which is about where we are at. We still won't compete with the top teams though, it's why they brought in Bowman. They should have known that he had already flamed out and Dressler hasn't played a full season in what, 5 years? Guys five foot fa too boot, can't take the pounding anymore.

Adams & Demski (who's still learning the game) are all we got.

When a team can't field 3 stud international receivers in the fifth year of their program, it's time to turn the page on them. 

21 minutes ago, pigseye said:

When a team can't field 3 stud international receivers in the fifth year of their program, it's time to turn the page on them. 

Thompkins has shown that he's got some upside... I think the receivers that are running short routes just tend to go through the motions and give up on plays early because they know the QB isn't going to scramble to create a play downfield.   I bet you it looks entirely different with Streveler behind centre.  You'd know not to quit on a play because he can escape and create something out of nothing.

31 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Fine will get you wins against the bottom half of the league, which is about where we are at. We still won't compete with the top teams though, it's why they brought in Bowman. They should have known that he had already flamed out and Dressler hasn't played a full season in what, 5 years? Guys five foot fa too boot, can't take the pounding anymore.

Adams & Demski (who's still learning the game) are all we got.

The only weak link in our WR core imo is Lankford.  MOS made a mistake in keeping him over Reuben Randle in preseason, so if Randle is available, give his phone a ring.

26 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

The only weak link in our WR core imo is Lankford.  MOS made a mistake in keeping him over Reuben Randle in preseason, so if Randle is available, give his phone a ring.

We lost Denmark, Smith, Kohlert and Guidino, not the best but they are better than what we got now. 

Only weaklink is Lankford - we replace our main YAC receiver with a speed guy who can't catch...  of course, Nichols starts checking down and loses his mojo

Interesting to see just how disrespected Cdn talent still is...

Make Demski our main SB next week - he will rise to the occasion

When Wolitarsky gets a chance, he will be a great SB

Peterman, LaFrance, Simonise, Augustine - start working these guys into sets - use the talent that is there.

Just looked, Nichols has 9 touchdown passes in six games. 1344 yards passing.

343 against Montreal, leaves 1000 yards in five games . 200 yds a game.

holy cow.

Streveler who played 3 games, has 6 TD.

Matt might want to stop calling out the fans.

Edited by Mark F

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

Just looked, Nichols has 9 touchdown passes in six games. 

Streveler who played 3 games, has 6.

Matt might want to stop calling out the fans.

That might be true, but as I said in another thread, I don't like this pointing out Nichols stats too much.  Considering Harris is our usual red zone weapon, I feel like his TDs after Nichols gets close kinda skew those numbers.

Also, this is no slight on Streveler, but he did get to play against the awful Montreal defense in one of those games.  I got a feeling Nichols numbers would also get a big boost playing against them.

52 minutes ago, pigseye said:

We lost Denmark, Smith, Kohlert and Guidino, not the best but they are better than what we got now. 

Guidino I liked.  Denmark kinda went invisible last year.

Like I said, I don't get how Randle didn't make this team after coming down with an amazing deep ball catch in preseason when Lankford has not even come close to making a play like that.  Just ridiculous we keep giving that awful route running butterfinger dud chances.

Edited by USABomberfan

12 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Guidino I liked.  Denmark kinda went invisible last year.

Like I said, I don't get how Randle didn't make this team after coming down with an amazing deep ball catch in preseason when Lankford has not even come close to making a play like that.  Just ridiculous we keep giving that awful route running butterfinger dud chances.

My point, however i get there, is that Nichols does not have the same targets he did when he was more productive. Coincidence, maybe but I highly doubt it. You take veteran guys out of the line up and it affects any qb's comfort zone. 

Nichols didn't just turn into a bag of schat all on his own.