Is MOS Our Danny Barrett?

rebusrankin

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Reilly takes a lot of time in the pocket to hit those receivers deep, he seems easier to harass than Harris.  Loffler has to get back to cracking some ribs to discourage those deep bombs from being caught.

Loffler is another one who doesn't seem to have his usual mojo going.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Reilly takes a lot of time in the pocket to hit those receivers deep, he seems easier to harass than Harris.  Loffler has to get back to cracking some ribs to discourage those deep bombs from being caught.

He cracks ribs then he gets penalized. The new rules have taken Lofler out of the game completely.  I never see him or hear his name anymore. Not fast enough to cover the field & be a finesse type safety.. 

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Bob talked with him on the pre-game show, he said his role has changed this year and he is a bit frustrated by it, he wants to play closer to the box.

Then he can play linebacker, I guess. He does not have the speed to play safety at an adequate level at this point.

43 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Then he can play linebacker, I guess. He does not have the speed to play safety at an adequate level at this point.

Agreed.  He's been in the box a lot the last few weeks and missed a ton of tackles.  I don't think he can tackle well enough to play there every down.  He's playing more like a rover than anything now, lots of blitzing, some in coverage, sometimes up in a gap.  His tackling is horrible though, he can hit but he can't get a guy on the turf.

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

O'Shea has mentioned several times that Streveller has already played more than was expected this season, as if that is a valid reason to quit developing him and let him sit.  Since Nichols return they have severely limited Streveller's opportunities and have not made use of his abilities since the B.C. loss.   Is it a coincidence that LeFevour was also restricted to only one dimension?

They sit Streveller a lot to prevent a QB controversy. I'm not saying it is right, just that it appears that is the logic they've used. As for LeFevour - he never had much of an arm to begin with.

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

They sit Streveller a lot to prevent a QB controversy. I'm not saying it is right, just that it appears that is the logic they've used. As for LeFevour - he never had much of an arm to begin with.

They likely sit him cuz hes 23 24 and green as goose **** and dont want to ruin him... Let him develop properly and you might have something there. Throw him to the Wolves and hes another QB in a long line of guys who fans wanted that turned out to be crap. 

Are you serious here. A QB controversy? Id suggest ppl go back and read the Hamilton loss thread.. Strevelers last start

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Are you serious here. A QB controversy? Id suggest ppl go back and read the Hamilton loss thread.. Strevelers last start

I'm just saying we sometimes have a pretty impatient fan base, especially at the QB position. Streveler had a one good game early in the year, and you still hear people call in on CJOB asking why we don't go to him more often.

To clarify - I'm not saying that we have a QB controversy (or that Streveler should be starting - this is Nichols' team), just that I think O'Shea hears those call-ins and might be more hesitant to play him than he should be.

Edited by Eternal optimist

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

I'm just saying we sometimes have a pretty impatient fan base, especially at the QB position. Streveler had a one game game early in the year, and you still hear people call in on CJOB asking why we don't go to him more often.

To clarify - I'm not saying that we have a QB controversy (or that Streveler should be starting - this is Nichols' team), just that I think O'Shea hears those call-ins and might be more hesitant to play him than he should be.

I hope not. The last thing MOS should be doing is taking advice from raging lunatics

Streveler is bigger stronger and faster than Matt......Streveler has shown lots of upside and potential...... it's gonna be horrible if we lose him because we didn't use him.  This "developing" thing people use to keep him on the bench confuses me, don't players get 90+ % of their development done by the end of their college days ?....once they get to pro don't they then need to get on the field to get that last % learnt ? 

41 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I hope not. The last thing MOS should be doing is taking advice from raging lunatics

I don't believe anybody is asking for Streveller to replace Nichols unless it is a blow out, but it's time for Nichols to pull up his socks, shut his trap and perform to expectations if he wants this team to proceed upwards.  Most fans are upset with O'Shea's unwillingness to make use of Streveller's skills at opportune times and allow him to gain experience when the opportunity presents itself.  I'm sure with O'Shea's track record of QB management Streveller will develop into a fine QB.......for some other team.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

With a statement like that it's no wonder you are who you are.

And who is it you think I am ?.....lol....... my opinion is that Streveler could step on the field for us and produce instantly, as well progress really quick to whatever his ceiling is going to be playing in the CFL..... I am hoping he accomplished this with the Bombers.  Matt is slower, weaker physically, and after that whine he had last night he may appear weaker mentally as well now. Again this is just my opinion, I am not trying to convince anybody else of this. 

Carry on.

GO BOMBERS !

13 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

And who is it you think I am ?.....lol....... my opinion is that Streveler could step on the field for us and produce instantly, as well progress really quick to whatever his ceiling is going to be playing in the CFL..... I am hoping he accomplished this with the Bombers.  Matt is slower, weaker physically, and after that whine he had last night he may appear weaker mentally as well now. Again this is just my opinion, I am not trying to convince anybody else of this. 

Carry on.

GO BOMBERS !

The jump from college to pro is huge. Especially a qb who has never played Canadian football with all its nuances like motion wider field, bigger end zones, 12 men & 3 downs instead of 4. Most college qbs have never seen the Canadian game. Even veteran NFL qbs who come up here struggle. It's a huge learning curve. Not just 10%. They can't just step on the field & be successful. I've only seen a few have success instantly. Ricky Ray, Joe Theismann & Doug Flutie come tomind.  Some adjust & do well but most don't. Streveler did well at first but as he played more games his performance dropped just because he not only had to learn the playbook but adapt to all the differences between the American & Canadian game.  I could see the pressure was getting to him & he was getting bogged down. The Bombers are right to bring him along slowly but O'Shea was wrong to take him out last night. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I just remember the Ray Jauch years 1978-82.  He lost in the playoffs in 78. 80, 81 & 82.  He left for the USFL but by that time the team was looking to make a change at HC anyway & he just hastened the process.  Cal Murphy took over in 1983 & won a Grey Cup in 84 with most of Jauch's veterans on that GC team with the exception of Dieter Brock who was traded to Hamilton for Tom Clements. 

In fairness to Ray Jauch NO team in CFL history could have beaten the Eskimo's dynasty (with Warren Moon etc.), except maybe the Flutie-led Argos.

4 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Well, you know who is too dumb to figure out how to use him in the scheme like that.

31 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

In fairness to Ray Jauch NO team in CFL history could have beaten the Eskimo's dynasty (with Warren Moon etc.), except maybe the Flutie-led Argos.

Bad luck a couple of times cost them the WFC championship. Tevor Kennerd missing something like 3 easy FG's in 1980 & the roughing the passer penalty on John Helton in 1982 after Vince Phason had the game winning interception. Every game we played them was close. We should have beaten them twice.  The Esks were good but they were also damned lucky.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Bad luck a couple of times cost them the WFC championship. Tevor Kennerd missing something like 3 easy FG's in 1980 & the roughing the passer penalty on John Helton in 1982 after Vince Phason had the game winning interception. Every game we played them was close. We should have beaten them twice.  The Esks were good but they were also damned lucky.

And dumb luck will beat skill every time.