2018 Matt Nichols

6 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I wonder how he would have performed with the Bombers.  Matt can't scramble at all...... Manziel and Streveler are both more exciting QB's right now in the league. Potential wise.

We would have had to sell the farm for him based on what Montreal gave up. Also, he hasn't proved anything in this league yet.

10 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Matt Nichols is the best QB we’ve had since Khari Jones and we had our two best seasons in nearly 20 years with him under the helm. Obviously he must be hurt right now and he needs to play better but my god. Fickle fans. After all the junk we’ve had at the QB position over the years I’m not ready to write him off just yet, however yes he needs to be better. 

unless Nichols wins us a playoff game, I don't put him ahead of Kevin Glenn.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Same thread as every year...  we debate and doubt a player's talent and then at season's end find out that he's been playing injured...

Just really seems apparent that he was pulled of six game too early

I won't speculate on why Nichols performance has been so lackluster compared with, say, last year. It's definitely not related to "talent". But if it is due to an undiagnosed or undisclosed physical limitation then he is not helping his team by not being forthcoming about it. If the problem is psychological then let's hope he turns it around. Either way, he probably would benefit from sitting and watching for a couple of games. O'Shea says Nichols gives us the best chance to win. Not sure that's necessarily true.

so if he is in fact still injured, and he is important to have healthy as our team's starter... why don't we sit him back down for a few games and let him get healthy again?  after all, isn't the old saying, the CFL season doesn't truly start until after Labour Day?  with our record we're already in a playoff position, and the possibility of a crossover is very much there.

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Same thread as every year...  we debate and doubt a player's talent and then at season's end find out that he's been playing injured...

Just really seems apparent that he was pulled of six game too early

Nichols said after the bye week that he was 100% healthy, if he lied about his health to rush back in than that is an issue as well.  From his previous experience with Jones in Edm. I'm sure he's been left with all sorts of mental scarring after being replaced and discarded.

2 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I won't speculate on why Nichols performance has been so lackluster compared with, say, last year. It's definitely not related to "talent". But if it is due to an undiagnosed or undisclosed physical limitation then he is not helping his team by not being forthcoming about it. If the problem is psychological then let's hope he turns it around. Either way, he probably would benefit from sitting and watching for a couple of games. O'Shea says Nichols gives us the best chance to win. Not sure that's necessarily true.

when you look back at his numbers from last season, much of his success came early on in the season.  if you go back 1 calendar year from this weekend, he only has 2- 300 yd games, one being the Banjo Bowl.  I know he doesn't care about numbers, but I think you can make an argument that opposing defences have figured out how to get to him.  Take away the underneath stuff, let him take the short passes and force a 2 and out.   I saw a stat on the game when I re-watched it yesterday saying the Bombers had 40- 2 and outs this season, and I believe there were another 6 or 7 Friday.       O'Shea is the coach here, and needs to put his loyalties aside and do what's best for the team.   Leaving Nichols in for entire games when he's showing struggles is not what's best for the team.

One thing I also noticed when re-watching yesterday was the body language of players on the offence.  There were several plays where Nichols dumped it off to Harris, and after getting back up from being tackled by the 3 players that were right around him when he caught the ball, got up and just had a look of 'why the hell did you throw that to me??'.   Adams had a couple looks of defeat.   Yet, when Streveler went in, it seemed the offence had a little jump in their step.   When doubt starts to creep in, and a dressing room gets divided, things only get worse.

Harris has 133 carries already this year, on pace for 266. He had 189 last year.  34 receptions on pace for 68, he had 105 last year. Your offense was run heavy last year but had some balance to it.  This year it is more run heavy with Harris on pace to get 77 more carries than he did last year. I haven't seen every second of every Bomber game but I usually don't miss much of any cfl games, but IMHO Harris at times looks tired in fourth quarter.  He is getting the bulk of his yards early in the games, first half. Been quite a few where he was close to 100 at the half but doesn't pile up much in second half. The offense doesn't really go away from the run but more so it just isn't as effective in second half. More balance in the first half might lead to better success in the second half with Harris having fresher legs. Teams that depend on the run usually take the game home in the fourth quarter with solid running and clock management.  This is where I see you guys getting outscored in the second half of games this year, quite simply Harris is tired.  It was harder to shut Harris down last year when he was catching more passes, dual threat.   I want us to run the ball more than we do, but I think you guys run the ball too much. Reduced passing numbers for Nichols as a result, plus the 800+ yards that Harris isn't receiving that padded Nichols stats last year.  easier to hit 4k passing when the rb is getting 800 on dump passes.   my 2 cents

Edited by Ripper

Ill say it again... Nichols like Willy.. Like Collaros and many other QBs in the leagues history... There are only so many injuries you can get until you are done. Im not saying Nichols is done.. But i think Mentally hes playing scared. 

Hes got the deer in headlights look at times. He has quite the injury history so im not surprised. 

Hes not injured.. Or hurt... Hes just scared. Mentally hes fragile because physically hes starting to break down. Lets be honest... He hurt himself at practice.. Nobody touched him.. He got hurt on his own... His injury history is catching up. 

It also doesnt help that teams know this and know hes a 1 trick pony with zero ability to run the ball... Our O is quite 1 dimensional at the moment. Keep blitzing the guy and eventually you get to him and he starts to panic... They also know he cant read a blitz so... There you go. 

You got a mentally fragile somewhat injury prone QB who panics when there is slight pressure on him.. Who cant read a blitz. Thats the issue. 

The best thing to happen to the bombers this year... Durant retiring. The next best thing might be Nichols getting hurt. I dont wish injury upon him but... Our O is awfully 1 dimensional when you got a guy who refuses to run cuz hes scared to get hit. 

Edited by Goalie

3 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Nichols completion percentage in 2018, among QBs who have played 5 or more games, is 62.4%. That puts him behind Harris Reilly Masoli Mitchell Franklin Bridge and Streveler. For a starting CFL QB that is pretty much the bottom of the heap.

Ouch.

21 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Reduced passing numbers for Nichols as a result, plus the 800+ yards that Harris isn't receiving that padded Nichols stats last year.  easier to hit 4k passing when the rb is getting 800 on dump passes.   my 2 cents

I've been saying this since last season when people we're making a case for Nichols for MOP and saying he's right there with Reilly, while looking at nothing but numbers.

I wonder if activating Flanders from the practice roster would help give things a different look, and help LaPo run a more creative shorter type offence and help Matt get some confidence back.  If we're going to stick with him, it seems we've got to dumb it down and make things easier on him.   Which is not a position you should have to be in with a QB who's been 7+ years in the league and has been starting for the last 3.

I guess every fan has the right to boo any player but I am not convinced a real fan would exercise that right. As fans we go to the game to support our team for all the time it is on the field.  I supported Willy during his time here and wondered how much punishment a man could take and still come back.  Eventually those hits affected his playing ability.

Nichols had a bad night but so did Fogg, Lankford and many others. The problem in that game is the team were not prepared properly to play it.  Where Ottawa seemed to know what was going to happen we seem to guess what they would do.   They had seen some weaknesses and exploited them.  Very little is mentioned about all the penalties that cost us a pile of points. That is something we should be booing about.  Why are those guys allowed to do that? 

Nichols is my quarterback and I hope he puts that game behind him.  

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

unless Nichols wins us a playoff game, I don't put him ahead of Kevin Glenn.

Don’t be that guy.. on one leg Nichols completed 72 percent of his passes, for 371 yards and 3 td’s and zero INT, also Nichols had 390 yards passing, 2 tds and completed 65 percent of his passes, and zero INT back in the 2016 WSF against BC. Kevin Glenn WISHES he was ever as clutch when it mattered as Nichols. How can you blame those loses on Nichols when our defence was historically bad when it mattered?

If Nichols is a short dink and dunk master then we should be putting Flanders back on the roster. Once he got hurt last year our team wasn't the same on offence. But i still think the loss of Dressler and dressing Langkford was the real culprit here. I expect Matt to have i will show you type of game against Calgary. 

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, Goalie said:

Ill say this... He looks scared to get hit. Its almost like everytime he feels pressure he starts to get scared.. I personally think he's injury prone and he knows it. Our oline is pretty good and he doesn't get hit much but when he does he looks pissed and struggles to get up. Perhaps all his injuries have caught up to him and mentally hes scared because physically hes broken

This is another thing ive been noticing with Nichols too. He HATES getting hit. I mean, all QB's don't like to get hit(except for Reilly it seems) but ive noticed whenever Nichols gets hit he gets up pissed and tends to get yappy with teammates. And like clockwork his play starts to tank. Our o-line has been borderline dominant the last couple years so he's been very lucky and has nothing to complain about. I remember the Hamilton game where we were up by 2 scores and moving the ball with ease, then Larry Dean yanked his face mask and he got beat up in the pocket. Right on cue his game went south and the Tiger Cats roared back. Its not the first time its happened. When he gets hit, he wilts. We all joke about hitting Kevin Glenn early and taking him out of the game. We might have our own KG....

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

This is another thing ive been noticing with Nichols. He HATES getting hit. I mean, all QB's don't like to get hit(except for Reilly it seems) but ive noticed whenever Nichols get hit

Say what you want about Durant, but he never complained about getting hit.  I agree it is not the oline's job to see the qb untouched all game, it just isn't realistic to expect that.  Sometimes he has to wait a couple more seconds for the play to develop and take a hit to complete a pass.  That's what the great qb's do like Mike Reilly. 

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Say what you want about Durant, but he never complained about getting hit.  I agree it is not the oline's job to see the qb untouched all game, it just isn't realistic to expect that.  Sometimes he has to wait a couple more seconds for the play to develop and take a hit to complete a pass.  That's what the great qb's do like Mike Reilly. 

Who is talking about Durant ? He doesn't even play anymore....yer on the wrong board lol

20 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Who is talking about Durant ? He doesn't even play anymore....yer on the wrong board lol

Couple things.  Was making a comparison, if Durant doesn't suit your fancy then just use Reilly who I also mentioned.  Secondly, I am well aware of what board I am on.  Sometimes you guys are so closed minded, its hard to have a simple conversation about football.  

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Nichols said after the bye week that he was 100% healthy, if he lied about his health to rush back in then he is exactly like every other athlete in the history of sports.  From his previous experience with Jones in Edm. I'm sure he's been left with all sorts of mental scarring after being replaced and discarded.

Fixed that for you

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Don’t be that guy.. on one leg Nichols completed 72 percent of his passes, for 371 yards and 3 td’s and zero INT, also Nichols had 390 yards passing, 2 tds and completed 65 percent of his passes, and zero INT back in the 2016 WSF against BC. Kevin Glenn WISHES he was ever as clutch when it mattered as Nichols. How can you blame those loses on Nichols when our defence was historically bad when it mattered?

This, the idea that Nichols has turned into Willy is ridiculous.  I have never once seen him turtle under and take sacks the way Willy does.  He's just in a bit of an accuracy mishap, and while I like Lapolice he needs to change up the run every time on first down approach.

Use play actions to bait defenses up on Harris and open up the field.  And use more of that draw play, Lapo is a master at using draw plays.

And I'd say yes, Nichols and the offense are looking worse because our defense is an abomination.  We got the worst defensive coordinator in CFL history who is so bad not even Reinbolds defenses have been as bad as his.  It is all their fault we have a 7-year playoff win drought coupled with the Grey Cup drought and not Nichols fault.

1 hour ago, LeBird said:

I guess every fan has the right to boo any player but I am not convinced a real fan would exercise that right. As fans we go to the game to support our team for all the time it is on the field.  I supported Willy during his time here and wondered how much punishment a man could take and still come back.  Eventually those hits affected his playing ability.

Nichols had a bad night but so did Fogg, Lankford and many others. The problem in that game is the team were not prepared properly to play it.  Where Ottawa seemed to know what was going to happen we seem to guess what they would do.   They had seen some weaknesses and exploited them.  Very little is mentioned about all the penalties that cost us a pile of points. That is something we should be booing about.  Why are those guys allowed to do that? 

Nichols is my quarterback and I hope he puts that game behind him.  

I just yell at my TV screen or, when they are here (Edmonton), sit with my hands on my head if they are not doing well. I would think though that some at IGF (not all) are booing at situations (not necessarily a specific player) that when these situations happen bring to surface that built up frustration of not winning the GC since 1990. That 'good gracious here we go again' feeling that may indeed be misguided but there nonetheless in the moment.  We tend to calm down after the game. To me that feeling has to be respected by the Organization. There are a lot of us who wear the BB colors where ever we go regardless of our record, our drought, how our last game went but we do get frustrated with our team now and then and want that ever elusive GC to be sitting in our house. We've been waiting a while.  

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Harris has 133 carries already this year, on pace for 266. He had 189 last year.  34 receptions on pace for 68, he had 105 last year. Your offense was run heavy last year but had some balance to it.  This year it is more run heavy with Harris on pace to get 77 more carries than he did last year. I haven't seen every second of every Bomber game but I usually don't miss much of any cfl games, but IMHO Harris at times looks tired in fourth quarter.  He is getting the bulk of his yards early in the games, first half. Been quite a few where he was close to 100 at the half but doesn't pile up much in second half. The offense doesn't really go away from the run but more so it just isn't as effective in second half. More balance in the first half might lead to better success in the second half with Harris having fresher legs. Teams that depend on the run usually take the game home in the fourth quarter with solid running and clock management.  This is where I see you guys getting outscored in the second half of games this year, quite simply Harris is tired.  It was harder to shut Harris down last year when he was catching more passes, dual threat.   I want us to run the ball more than we do, but I think you guys run the ball too much. Reduced passing numbers for Nichols as a result, plus the 800+ yards that Harris isn't receiving that padded Nichols stats last year.  easier to hit 4k passing when the rb is getting 800 on dump passes.   my 2 cents

The elephant in the room.