2018 Matt Nichols

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

He was complaining about scouting earlier. Now, when a talent is scouted and brought it, "he doesn't have any experience". 

You realize that he will say absolutely anything to fit his narrative. 

You're right, I'm wrong, I should never question the knowledge of the majority around here, you guys are always right about everything and I'm such an idiot to ever second guess you. I'm so, so, so, so, sorry, it will never happen ever again. 

34 minutes ago, pigseye said:

You're right, I'm wrong, I should never question the knowledge of the majority around here, you guys are always right about everything and I'm such an idiot to ever second guess you. I'm so, so, so, so, sorry, it will never happen ever again. 

Quoting to ensure you keep your promise! 😉

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Well that and a massive shoulder injury... no?

The knee is more worrisome to me. Legs are where you generate all your power. You dont need to be able to run like streveler in the cfl, but you do need to be able to buy time and throw on the roll. Any thing in the throwing chain foot to hand is bad for a throwing sport. Multiple in the chain is really really bad. 

Just now, JCon said:

I think Nichols is hurt, not healthy. I think that, along with the being injured through training camp and the first few games of the year explains some of his issues this year.

That, and he threw to Lankford too much. Don't throw to Lankford... he's open for a reason. 

lol. Yeah good ole stankford. 

Also, plop didnt do a good job of re balancing the offense to take pressure off when nichols has struggled. The whole staff should have been smarter as well and kept nichols out when he got banged up. Like come on that is high school level coaching. 

3 hours ago, AKAChip said:

This year’s group is lightyears better but nice try. Also smith and kohlert both weren’t here last year. Also Denmark, JFG and Kohlert largely suck. Lots wrong here. 

Even though JFG is not a deep threat, he broke a hell of a lot of tackles catching short balls which I liked.  But the other two yeah I'll give you that.

I think PE is just reading a little too much into the change at WRs we got and assuming it's causing Nichols problems.  I don't believe that's what it is.

I think our OL while still fairly good isn't nearly as solid without Bond.  I'm a bit concerned now with the Hardrick injury I saw last game.  I do think Nichols did face a little more duress than he had usually this last game.

I also blame our softass defense and it's awful DC for some of Nichols problems too.  Every time he led a TD drive to try and cut the lead they couldn't get a stop to save their lives, and if that's what we gotta deal with the rest of the year against good offenses, we're ****ed.  Defense has to do its job and step up and make plays.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have no problem with Matt Nichols as our starting qb as he's the best we've had since Kevin Glenn in 2011.  He needs help from everybody on the offense from LaPo  to the offensive line. He also needs MOS to stop butting in & playing the qb carousel game at times. His actions started this whole thing plus his words of, "He gives us the best chance to win" when down by a bunch of points with 2 mins left. MOS was the problem. Not Nichols. 

This is exactly the issue. Matt Nichols is not a gunslinger. He is the anti-Mike Reilly. The CFL version of Trent Dilfer, except he doesnt have Jamal Lewis running the ball 30 times a game(even though i love me some Andrew Harris), and he doesnt have the 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense behind him. Farrrrrrrrrrrrrr from it. Based on Nichols' skill set Lapo has designed a run heavy, methodical, ball control offense thats predicated on not turning the ball over and eating the clock. When the game gets 2 or 3 scores away from us, its over. Even if Lapo made in-game adjustments(it sure doesnt appear that he does), Nichols aint gonna drop a 450 yard 4 TD line to rally us from a 31-10 deficit. Its not his game. And with a rusty, slumping Matt Nichols the margin for error is that much smaller. Our only hope is that Nichols wakes the F up and the defense gets their s*** together. Im not holding my breath on that last one.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We don't need a gunslinger. Our qb is fine as he is. The other members of the team have to pick it up. Everybody has to do their jobs. Coaches & players. Nichols included. 

Agreed, for the most part, but Nichols has to be better. Whatever ails him may not be his fault, but he is the lightning rod.

59 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Streveler has that Dunigan vibe in him. When his time comes(hopefully not with another team), itll be fun to watch.

Oh man I hope it doesn't happen with another team.  

When I posted the comment I was thinking Bo Levi is called a gun slinger...an he has won lots.......and then I thought was Ricky Ray ever considered a gun slinger type QB ?....An he won just lately.....so when bubba said Matt is not a gun slinger I thought right away well that's what we need....... 

40 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Oh man I hope it doesn't happen with another team.  

When I posted the comment I was thinking Bo Levi is called a gun slinger...an he has won lots.......and then I thought was Ricky Ray ever considered a gun slinger type QB ?....An he won just lately.....so when bubba said Matt is not a gun slinger I thought right away well that's what we need....... 

"Oh man I hope it doesn't happen with another team". How many more times are you going to keep saying that? Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Matt Nichols is the best QB we’ve had since Khari Jones and we had our two best seasons in nearly 20 years with him under the helm. Obviously he must be hurt right now and he needs to play better but my god. Fickle fans. After all the junk we’ve had at the QB position over the years I’m not ready to write him off just yet, however yes he needs to be better. 

9 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Matt Nichols is the best QB we’ve had since Khari Jones and we had our two best seasons in nearly 20 years with him under the helm. Obviously he must be hurt right now and he needs to play better but my god. Fickle fans. After all the junk we’ve had at the QB position over the years I’m not ready to write him off just yet, however yes he needs to be better. 

Okay matt is the best since Khari, and we had our best two seasons with Matt in twenty years.  I agree.  But how does looking backwards help get to a cup ? 

12 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Okay matt is the best since Khari, and we had our best two seasons with Matt in twenty years.  I agree.  But how does looking backwards help get to a cup ? 

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Nichols is proof of that. He’s earned the opportunity to get the benefit of the doubt, and he should have the fan base on his side. 

7 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Streveler has that Dunigan vibe in him. When his time comes(hopefully not with another team), itll be fun to watch.

It won't be fun watching him do it with another team against us though. O'Shea's lucky Willy never came back to haunt us but if he blows this with Strevs I'll be really pissed!

5 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Nobody's writing him off and he's been given plenty of praise for his work here but he hasn't played up to his usual standard of late and needs to be better or take a seat. Loyalties be damned, the team must come first and the HC needs to know that.

7 hours ago, Tracker said:

Agreed, for the most part, but Nichols has to be better. Whatever ails him may not be his fault, but he is the lightning rod.

Watching him run is painful for him and fans alike.