2018 Matt Nichols

Not surprised this has drummed up. Since coming back from injury he hasnt performed at his previous level. The feast or famine nature of our offense has always been this way though. So its hard to pin point how much is nichols and how much is plop. nichols doesnt excel at the deep ball, but then why are we tossing em soo much more suddenly?

The big thing Im seeing is nichols is not beating the rush this year. Previously he beat the rush with his pre/post snap read and quick decisions. If that meant throwing the ball away he did. Its not just teams running more complex schemes either, hamilton uses mostly man coverage. Harris had 3 catches for 6 yards. 3 wrs made up 90% of our pass completions and 1 was well over 50% of our passing yards. 

One this is for sure, As fans we expect better and better things. And the team is taking a bit of a step back. One way or another we cant have double digit 5 play or fewer drives including a punt. 

What I saw last night was that our DC was owned by Ottawa's OC, our OC was owned by Ottawa's DC and our HC was owned by Ottawa's HC. We were beat before we took the field. The job by Osh, Lapo, and Hall was not good enough. Not even close. As another poster said, players play and coaches coach and our coaching was awful. That's the real reason this team has not won a playoff game during O'Shea's tenure. 

1 hour ago, Starman115 said:

I'm not sure who's mentally softer here: Nichols for his perceived response to the booing, or MOS for not saying "NO" to Nichols who wanted to go back out with a minute left to try and get his 300 yard game. The coach needs to consider the big picture here, and if Nichols had sustained a serious injury in that final drive, he would have learned that lesson the hard way. 

The coach's priorities are out of sync. Such a reckless decision.

Why are people going on pretending that leaving Nichols in with 2 minutes to go was some terrible decision. It wasn't a good one but it certainly played no role in why we lost. I mean if the worst thing ppl can think of is Damn coach let Nichols play the last 2 minutes in a blowout loss then seems like its lots of bitching over nothing. 

Edited by Goalie

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Why are people going on pretending that leaving Nichols in with 2 minutes to go was some terrible decision. It wasn't a good one but it certainly played no role in why we lost. 

No, it had no part in the loss but it emphasized O'Shea's pig-headed stubborn attitude in all it's glory.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

No, it had no part n the loss but it emphasized O'Shea's pig-headed stubborn attitude in all it's glory.

Ahh.. The made up narratives. Ok. 

Was it Oshea or was it Lapo who has a longer history of leaving the Vet in all game? 

Lol. It proves nothing. 2 minutes to go.. Who cares. Was it dumb? Sure but that's all it was. Dumb. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Ahh.. The made up narratives. Ok. 

Was it Oshea or was it Lapo who has a longer history of leaving the Vet in all game? 

Lol. It proves nothing. 2 minutes to go.. Who cares. Was it dumb? Sure but that's all it was. Dumb. 

Nothing is "made up", O'Shea is utterly oblivious to the reason thousands of paying customers would spontaneously boo his team.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

In this case, the fans were correct. The Nichols supporters will cry that this was only one game, but if you look at the losses we have had this year, Nichols has looked bad in all of them, and the defence saved his butt in a couple of the wins. We may never know why  Nichols is off his usual game- he may never be an all-star but last year he played much better with a worse offensive talent. It was a given that O'Shea would struggle as a head coach for a couple of years until he gained the experience to make the right calls at the right time, but the same problematic stuff he showed earlier is still there.

12 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

On paper, Walters has put together a solid roster. When you have a team with Andrew Harris, Weston Dressler, Darvin Adams, the best o-line in the league, Adam Bighill, Jackson Jeffcoat, Poop Johnson, JSK, and Chris Randle, winning, and winning handily should not be a problem.

We can't recruit receivers. The guys we have now can't match up to other teams. Been a problem for years. Individually we have one or two that are game breakers but overall they aren't as good as some other teams. That was my point about Walters built it. I should have been a bit more clearer.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

I just read Darren Bauming's tweet (retweeted) about Nichols moving past Jack Jacobs in the all time Bomber passing yardage. You'll never guess who leads the passing efficiency rating stat? 

Interesting.

Maybe, stepping back a bit...we need to cut the guy some slack.

This all goes back to Drew Willy and the inexplicable love many here had for him. Nichols is the guy who made him expendable and it appears the bad blood is going nowhere. People hate Nichols because in a lot of cases he's a mirror for people to look into and see how bad their football opinions can get. 

4 hours ago, White Out said:

It's ******* incredible watching our fan base turn on Nichols after the kind of rope given to Willy. It's disgusting and also sad to see how bad our fans are. The loss is just one game... but to see my own city and fans turn into rider fans like this is genuinely jarring. 

Nichols drop off in performance goes back to the last third or so of the 2017 season.  We are talking nearly a year at this point.  It's not the case of a QB having one or two average/poor games.

Let's see what happens over the next month.  If the poor performances continue, I suspect we have missed an opportunity in 2018 for a legit Grey Cup run.

30 minutes ago, White Out said:

This all goes back to Drew Willy and the inexplicable love many here had for him. Nichols is the guy who made him expendable and it appears the bad blood is going nowhere. People hate Nichols because in a lot of cases he's a mirror for people to look into and see how bad their football opinions can get. 

Most people who are critical of Nichols play were also critical of Willy. Most rational people aren’t blinded by who the player is and will evaluate the play rather than the player. This has nothing to do with Willy. Get over it. 

32 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Nichols drop off in performance goes back to the last third or so of the 2017 season.  We are talking nearly a year at this point.  It's not the case of a QB having one or two average/poor games.

Let's see what happens over the next month.  If the poor performances continue, I suspect we have missed an opportunity in 2018 for a legit Grey Cup run.

We don't have the defence for that 

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It seems like they are using so much motion pre-play that "no huddle" is no longer a viable option.

This doesn't make any sense.  How does a huddle affect motion?  They still have the same amount of time they just don't sub and call plays at the line.  The D can't sub either, thus the advantage. 

They sure haven't been using much misdirection pre-snap in the last couple games.  Lots of straight ahead drop backs

this isn't meant to be totally negative, or insinuating I want to get rid of the guy.... but let's just cook up a crazy scenario here and have a debate.   Nichols gets super frustrated with the city & fans, and says 'Kyle... I've had it, can you please trade me!' .    Is any other team in the league stepping up and making an offer for him? 

13 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

this isn't meant to be totally negative, or insinuating I want to get rid of the guy.... but let's just cook up a crazy scenario here and have a debate.   Nichols gets super frustrated with the city & fans, and says 'Kyle... I've had it, can you please trade me!' .    Is any other team in the league stepping up and making an offer for him? 

With how difficult it is in this league to maintain stability at the QB position, the eight other teams would all entertain the possibility.

16 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Toronto and MTL both do and clean house of their other QB's

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

With how difficult it is in this league to maintain stability at the QB position, the eight other teams would all entertain the possibility.

ok... now are 7 of those teams bringing him in as a backup or a starter?  Montreal is a possibility with Johnny injured.

I feel for Matt Nichols, he didn't deserve the boo's, Winnipeg really does have some of the most classless people I know, probably even worse than Philly. 

If you want to show disapproval for the club, stay home and boo from your couch, an empty stadium will get you more results.

Having said that, Matt Nichols is the best QB we've had here in some time but, he can't do it on his own. The supporting cast around him is still too weak and that goes for coaches as well as players. 

Edited by pigseye
a