2018 Matt Nichols

Matt Nichols.. 9 TD passes in 6 games.. Less than 2 a game. Not good. As a team in 6 games with Nichols 150 points scored or 25 point average. Not taking in to account sp teams including medlock and the points the D have scored. Pretty shitty O production.. 

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, Mike said:

I won’t be so wordy with it ... he’s been terrible 

I wouldn't say terrible... Just not good enough. Streveler was making much quicker reads tonight and was more accurate.

What puzzles me is that he seems to be locking in on guys and forcing throws. Several times tonight he tossed to guys in double coverage meanwhile his next read or Harris were wide open.

45 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

The Redblacks' D didn't prepare for Streveler though - also putting in your backup at that point might as well be raising the white flag to surrender. Maybe, just maybe, the Reblacks were playing a bit more relaxed in garbage time? Drew Willy "looked good" when he'd march the O downfield.... while being down 20+ points in the 4th quarter.

Not really they were amped up and playing tight. Streveler zipped his last pass really hard in a tight window. 

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Not really they were amped up and playing tight. Streveler zipped his last pass really hard in a tight window. 

He also got rid of the ball quicker than Nichols did. 1 2 ball gone. Nichols you can sometimes count 1 2 3 4 5 even.. 

Streveler was quicker with his reads. 

Nichols has his Fav targets and he will sometimes look to them regardless.. Streveler seems to spread the ball around more. Quicker passes.. Shorter ones at that.. More ball control ish O. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

He also got rid of the ball quicker than Nichols did. 1 2 ball gone. Nichols you can sometimes count 1 2 3 4 5 even.. 

Streveler was quicker with his reads. 

Nichols had guys open also...like I said locked on receivers. The oline did a good job and he had time.

Nichols is soft..like mentally hes soft... The worst thing to happen today was not the loss to Ottawa.. It was the revelation our QB is mentally soft.. 

Physically broken.. Mentally soft. 

Damn it. That sucks. When the going gets tough... Our QB cries about it. 

Edited by Goalie

I read Matt's comments on twitter.  They were unfortunate as he totally misunderstood the situation & why fans were booing.  All I can say is that what happened was completely Mike O'Shea's fault. The fans wanted to see Streveler play. He came in & looked good & then inexplicably was pulled by O'Shea. Fans were surprised & unhappy & they booed when Nichols went back out in the middle of the drive. They were booing the decision & not Nichols. I've seen some really stupid coaching decisions over the years but this one really takes the cake. There was absolutely no reason to put Nichols back in at that point. Not only was it ridiculous  to pull Streveler but now Nichols has lashed out at fans because he thinks they were booing him when they weren't.  O'Shea may have caused irreparable damage with his decision.  Two questions now are will fans forgive Matt for his outburst?  Will Nichols be happy playing here even if they do?  Let's give a slow clap to Mike O'Shea for that Brainiac decision & the fallout from it.  Seems that it isn't the players that still have a lot to learn. It's O' Shea himself.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Wow...I'm a little surprised by the level of criticism on here tonight directed at Nichols. No he didn't play well and some of his decisions were questionable but some of you are taking it a bit too far.  The reaction after the game is something we'd see from Rider fans and we'd be universally condemning them  over it. So now we're no better than Rider fans.

Yes the fans were booing Nichols. Anyone who says differently is kidding themselves.  How do you know what was going  on in the heads of the other fans?  Even if the fans were directing their boos at Osh. It was indirectly aimed at Nichols.  Now Nichols should keep his trap uafter the game and turn off his phone.  Tweeeting after a loss is never a good idea and even worse is calling out the fans who just shelled out a lot of money to watch. 

But we as fans need to temper our emotions as well.  Nichols is 4-2 this season and everyone wants a rookie QB to replace him that's won 1 game.  Sounds very Rideresque.

We're better than that!

Edited by B-F-F-C

I worry about the young Canadian talent being wasted here.  82 gets the ball he makes plays.  81 has only made plays when given the chance.  13 too in a very brief look.  

We put Lankford on instead and watch him drop passes and kickoffs repeatedly, leave a kickoff on the turf and then remember it’s live. Man oh man.

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That’s an emotional response too.  He wasn’t great but he doesn’t play the game by himself.   And while the fans can feel any way they want as paying fans, it doesn’t demolish the honest feelings of the player. 

He wasn’t insulting the fans. He said it hurt because he was giving it his all.  He can under perform and still be working hard and feel hurt. He’s obviously an emotional guy.  

Something no one can get around here. Yes he wasn't good and he needs to play better if he wants to retain starter status but the 11 other guys on the field didn't have the best games of there life either. On occasion a game can be won or lost by a few but that hot mess last night wasn't one of them.

Nichols wasn’t very good last nigh (better than last week) our receiving core sans Darvin Adams is terrible. This team is desperate for a Brandon Zlystra if they want to take the next step.

If we can’t get anyone from the NFL cuts and Duron Carter is still available, I wonder if we get desperate enough to take that risk. 

Edited by Blueandgold

This is getting ugly... everyone throwing Nichols under the bus

Anyone else think that maybe we rushed him back from his injury?  Like maybe 6 games would have been fine... ?

This is not the Nichols we know I agree - and now Osh/Lapo have got the bombers in a jam where they basically can't sit Nichols - Calgary game is too big.

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Nichols is soft..like mentally hes soft... The worst thing to happen today was not the loss to Ottawa.. It was the revelation our QB is mentally soft.. 

Physically broken.. Mentally soft. 

Damn it. That sucks. When the going gets tough... Our QB cries about it. 

I'm not sure who's mentally softer here: Nichols for his perceived response to the booing, or MOS for not saying "NO" to Nichols who wanted to go back out with a minute left to try and get his 300 yard game. The coach needs to consider the big picture here, and if Nichols had sustained a serious injury in that final drive, he would have learned that lesson the hard way. 

The coach's priorities are out of sync. Such a reckless decision.

10 minutes ago, White Out said:

It's ******* incredible watching our fan base turn on Nichols after the kind of rope given to Willy. It's disgusting and also sad to see how bad our fans are. The loss is just one game... but to see my own city and fans turn into rider fans like this is genuinely jarring. 

Yeah everyone else is wrong and you're right. 

These 200 yard passing games are just phenomenal! Wow! 

Edited by Dr Zaius

26 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

I thought Nichols was a bigger man than having a twitter response. Showed his true colors. 

Put up or shut up, dude 

This after giving the following interview just prior to the game about being off social media for the entire season.....bad time to come back Matt.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/nichols-happy-to-be-off-of-social-media~1463241

Willy hardly got much rope. He got injured partway through his second season and when he sucked in his third season, he was replaced and then traded. What you don’t seem to understand is while Willy sucked, he also had far, far less talent on his teams. If all else were equal at this point, we would be in more or less the same position as we were with Willy. A talented roster masks poor quarterback play but only for so long. 

The fans booed in the first half at Nichols because he had guys wide open in front of him. Did not throw to them.

The second boo was 100% at coaches. The team and crowd came to life when Streveler went in. The decisions and the passes were really fast and more accurate. Team builds momentum and they pull the guy?? It really made the fans second guess how smart O Shea is.  Chris Jones level of foolishness doing that.