Game Day Thread- Week Ten: Ottawa ALLCAPS @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers August 17, 2018

Just now, Goalie said:

23 35 291 2 Tds 1 int. 

Nichols best numbers of the year. 

Ottawa is pretty good. Bombers biggest problem is DBs... Randle hasnt been good this year. 

Randle is now past his best before date. Fogg is a good returner but is just bad as a DB and always will be. Sayles is this year's version of Charamicheal. Loffler is not really a safety and has been exposed.

Alexander is pretty good, but he's the only one.

The secondary has actually regressed from last year and is in bad shape.

Just now, wpgallday1960 said:

Some bad coverage for sure but Ellingson is a premiere WR.  Total team loss, imo.  Soft D and too many 2 and outstanding from the O.  Nichols wasn't great but not terrible either.  Ottawa just kicked our ass today.

Randles been exposed the last several games. 

2 hours ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Some bad coverage for sure but Ellingson is a premiere WR.  Total team loss, imo.  Soft D and too many 2 and outstanding from the O.  Nichols wasn't great but not terrible either.  Ottawa just kicked our ass today.

Disagree. Nichols was terrible, particularly when blitzed and this is the third or fourth game this year when he has looked bad.

Edited by Tracker

2 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Some bad coverage for sure but Ellingson is a premiere WR.  Total team loss, imo.  Soft D and too many 2 and outs from the O.  Nichols wasn't great but not terrible either.  Ottawa just kicked our ass today.

The scary part is that Calgary and Edmonton are better than Ottawa. We will have problems splitting with the Riders over the Labor Day back to backs. Calgary will kill us next week.

Find it hard to be critical of the DB’s with the amount we blitz Bighill/JSK/Leggett/Loffler on passing downs and play cover zero.  Any decent pro QB is going to rip that apart and there’s not much the DB’s can do.  Middle of the field is wide open because 6-7 are rushing most passing downs.  Can’t expect 5-6 guys to defend the whole field.  You’re gambling the blitz gets there, but most often it doesn’t affect the throw.

Just now, BBRT said:

The scary part is that Calgary and Edmonton are better than Ottawa. We will have problems splitting with the Riders over the Labor Day back to backs. Calgary will kill us next week.

Edmonton is not. They are a duck n chuck O feasting on the same teams we have beat. Ottawa is the 2nd best team in the league

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

23 35 291 2 Tds 1 int. 

Nichols best numbers of the year. 

Ottawa is pretty good. Bombers biggest problem is DBs... Randle hasnt been good this year. 

Plus fumble for Ottawa TD which basically ended the game halfway through the 3rd.

I’m surprised Nichols didn’t put up 450 staring into prevent for almost a whole half.

1 minute ago, BBRT said:

I agree about the game v Calgary - we always lose there.  I think we will get our usual split vs the Riders.

Just now, Goalie said:

When you give up 44... I have a tough time putting the L on Nichols. He wasn't great but... It would help if our dbs could actually make plays. 

When our O can't matriculate the ball downfield ( I love that term) the defense gets tired & as the game goes on gives up more & more yards. One works hand in hand with the other

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Find it hard to be critical of the DB’s with the amount we blitz Bighill/JSK/Leggett/Loffler on passing downs and play cover zero.  Any decent pro QB is going to rip that apart and there’s not much the DB’s can do.  Middle of the field is wide open because 6-7 are rushing most passing downs.  Can’t expect 5-6 guys to defend the whole field.  You’re gambling the blitz gets there, but most often it doesn’t affect the throw.

So the question is why could Ottawa blitz so effectively and we could not?

What worries me other than the Bomber defense is the balance of our schedule. We have Cal, Sask, Sask, Mtl, Edm, Ottawa , Sask again , Cal and then Edm. I see us winning  2-3 at the best of the remaining games. not going to beat Calgary or Edmonton in my opinion and with 3 games against the Riders we might win 1 or 2 at the most.

1 minute ago, BBRT said:

What worries me other than the Bomber defense is the balance of our schedule. We have Cal, Sask, Sask, Mtl, Edm, Ottawa , Sask again , Cal and then Edm. I see us winning  2-3 at the best of the remaining games. not going to beat Calgary or Edmonton in my opinion and with 3 games against the Riders we might win 1 or 2 at the most.

Yes. That's why last place in the West is a real possibility.

Bombers were picked by all the media (except for Winnipeg) to finish last in the West before the season started.

2 hours ago, BBRT said:

Given how poorly the team played tonight, I am losing confidence that we can even split with the Riders in the home and home. Jones will be desperate to keep his playoff hopes and job security alive and we've been getting worse.

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When our O can't matriculate the ball downfield ( I love that term) the defense gets tired & as the game goes on gives up more & more yards. One works hand in hand with the other

And it happens fast.  Ottawa gets two first downs but our D stop them.  Our O comes out, two dropbacks and then punt.  Ottawa puts together a drive and they are rolling.  O gets the big play to Adams.  Then D turns it over on plus 40.  O doesn’t score.  Game turns in a big way there.  O doesn’t do anything for the rest of the half and Ottawa puts up two TD drives.  Game pretty much done there.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

And it happens fast.  Ottawa gets two first downs but our D stop them.  Our O comes out, two dropbacks and then punt.  Ottawa puts together a drive and they are rolling.  O gets the big play to Adams.  Then D turns it over on plus 40.  O doesn’t score.  Game turns in a big way there.  O doesn’t do anything for the rest of the half and Ottawa puts up two TD drives.  Game pretty much done there.

Yeah. My biggest beef & what pissed me off tonight was the fact MOS kept Nichols in to the very end & not giving Streveler the chance to play. I think that was a totally stupid decision.  How does he gain experience? Just a dumbass decision. MOS does **** like that all the time. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We need hot routes. Get the ball away fast. Throw screens, slants etc. Instead Nichols was looking downfield waiting for the receivers to finish their routes. 

Im not saying to start the guy... But when Streveler comes in its 1 2 ball out... With nichols its 1 2 3 4 5 sometimes.