Game Day Thread- Week Ten: Ottawa ALLCAPS @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers August 17, 2018

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That’s something he really has to think about.  If your opponent scores multiple 2 point converted touchdowns and you keep kicking 1’s, how do you get those points back?  You’re shorting yourself a possession once that gap is 3-4 points just from converts.

Ain't that the truth.  

8 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

We got our collective asses handed to us tonight.

Made worse by the fact that Ottawa struggled to beat Montreal last week. 

Bombers aren't as bad as they looked last night, and probably not as good as they have looked in other games. 

They are a frustrating team to be a fan of.

Get you enthused with their play one game, and crap out the next.

Edited by Mark F

6 hours ago, AKAChip said:

I'd kill for Lankford to be an average receiver. That would be a massive improvement.

Somehow he’s missed every lesson on ball security.  I don’t know how they stand having that guy on the roster and I don’t know why it takes 2 years to figure out he’s useless.  Do O’Shea and Lapo really get hard watching the guy run?  What else can he do?  Can’t catch passes or kicks.

This team is desperate for another playmaker at receiver and that’s been our Achilles heel for years. Once Darvin or Dressler goes down our entire O falls apart as we only have two threats. 

I don’t know how we can’t recruit a decent receiver, but if any former cflers come loose on NFL cutdown day we need to throw a pile of cash at them. 

Oh, and if I ever see Lankford take the field for this team again I’ll cry. I feel like I’m beating a dead horse, but he’s completely useless. 

Next week against Calgary may confirm everything we don't want to believe about this team, last night might of been one of those games or may in fact be what the Bombers really are and that would be be to bad cause they have some real good talent, that would  be wasted for another year.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You know Lankford will play next game & Petermann will sit & the game after that etc because as I've heard a thousand times... "That's how O'Shea rolls". 

Remember Thorpe? Remember O'Shea's indignation at his leaving? 

11 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

They did bring in that scout this year who is highly regarded.  Can't remember his name...

Maybe it will take another year before his work makes hay.

Rigmaiden.

All he is good for is bringing in BC's re-treads. Other than that he SUX as a recruiter.

2 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

I don’t know how we can’t recruit a decent receiver, but if any former cflers come loose on NFL cutdown day we need to throw a pile of cash at them. 

Well, there is that former Bomber receiver who is currently un-signed in the NFL...not sure if Walters has contacted him 😎 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

How they keep coming back to Lankford is baffling. 5 years of this regime and they've brought in 1 legit receiver-Thompkins. In that same time, Edmonton scouted and brought in Walker/Williams/Zylstra and Calgary-Jorden/Daniels/Michel. How does Danny Mac and Co keep their jobs.

I'm very hopeful for Thompkins but I don't think I'm ready to say he's a great find - we've had so many guys come and go that have a couple good games, then disappear

The Cdn scouting team is finding more receivers than Danny Mac right now...

Clarence Denmark would be a good signing right now - maybe he fades at the end of the season, but he's 100% better than Lankford

After consideration. I cannot see that this is about the talent. The talent could always be better, but this has to fall at the feet of the coaches and if O'Shea cannot make the changes needed (Hall), then he is the wrong choice for head coach. As frustrating as it is for us fans, it has to be at least as bad for the players to see their head coach not do the right thing to make the team competitive.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

I'm very hopeful for Thompkins but I don't think I'm ready to say he's a great find - we've had so many guys come and go that have a couple good games, then disappear

The Cdn scouting team is finding more receivers than Danny Mac right now...

Clarence Denmark would be a good signing right now - maybe he fades at the end of the season, but he's 100% better than Lankford

Even if Dressler had played at his 100% last night, we still would have lost badly. I have been critical of Lankford, but he played reasonably well last night, given his long benchwarming. I would still have started Peterman, though and replaced the late Mr. Loffler.

Just now, Tracker said:

Even if Dressler had played at his 100% last night, we still would have lost badly. I have been critical of Lankford, but he played reasonably well last night, given his long benchwarming. I would still have started Peterman, though and replaced the late Mr. Loffler.

Peterman/LaFrance rotation...  Dressler also should not be our main SB anymore - he's not his old self

Mo at safety is about the only thing that might save a Richie Hall D next week...  but Im not sure that will even work

How Ottawa managed to convince Mark Nelson to take a demotion so that Noel Thorpe could step in - and we get stuck with Etch and then Hall for years is just baffling.

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

What about his one catch, two drops and poor kick returns where he once even let the ball hit the turf (!) made you think he played reasonably well?

2 hours ago, AKAChip said:

What about his one catch, two drops and poor kick returns where he once even let the ball hit the turf (!) made you think he played reasonably well?

I was expecting Lankford to completely flop, but he did make a couple of catches as well as dropping that guaranteed touchdown pass which might have changed the whole flow of the game But he did not cost us the game, and it is clear to all that he is not a kick returner and if used as such, it sets him up for failure.

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I was expecting Lankford to completely flop, but he did make a couple of catches as well as dropping that guaranteed touchdown pass which might have changed the whole flow of the game But he did not cost us the game, and it is clear to all that he is not a kick returner and if used as such, it sets him up for failure.

Two catches for 18 yards in a very high volume position is as close to a complete flop as you can have. Especially when you drop a touchdown and a third down conversion in the same game. I recognize that he shouldn't be in these positions in the first place, but that doesn't excuse not making plays when given the opportunity. 

Edited by AKAChip

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

That was a flop.