Game Day Thread- Week Ten: Ottawa ALLCAPS @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers August 17, 2018

IT'S GAME DAY!!!! Bring on the ALLCAPS!!!!!

ott-vs-wpg.jpg

GAME 9 | OTTAWA REDBLACKS (5-3) at WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS (5-3)

Kickoff: 7:30 p.m., Friday; Investors Group Field
TV: TSN, RDS, ESPN+
Radio: CJOB
Vegas line: The Bombers are favoured by 5 ½ points.
Streaks: Ottawa: 1W: Winnipeg: 3W
Home/Road: The Bombers are 3-1 at home; Ottawa is 2-2 on the road.
Series: The Bombers lead the all-time matchup with Ottawa clubs – Rough Riders, Renegades and REDBLACKS – 44-30-1 and are 22-13-1 all-time vs. the those squads in Winnipeg.
Recent history: The Bombers have won three straight against the REDBLACKS, capturing both games last year – 29-9 on September 22 in Ottawa and 33-30 on August 4 in Winnipeg, and 33-30 in Ottawa on November 4, 2016. Since the return of football to the capital, Winnipeg is 4-4 against the REDBLACKS.

(Thanks Ed Tait)

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/08/16/game-preview-ott-vs-wpg-2/

DkuboJ4XgAAnDDV.jpg

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Bighill  will continue with his best in league play. He's rolling now.

and D line.

Bomber win by a pretty substantial amount.

They will outplay Ottawa in every way.

not sure, are there two gdthreads?

edit, just heard on hodge podcast that the ticats got close to zero yards on punt returns in total, last game.

Edited by Mark F

16 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Bighill  will continue with his best in league play. He's rolling now.

Bomber win by a pretty substantial amount.

They will outplay Ottawa in every way.

not sure, are there two gdthreads?

Not sure there are two game day threads either.....but I would be using this one as it is game day now.

44-17 Bombers

Edited by NorthernSkunk
Fixed an auto correct

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

edit, just heard on hodge podcast that the ticats got close to zero yards on punt returns in total, last game.

Yeah, it was an INSANE performance.

What shouldn’t be overlooked from last Friday’s win was the work of Medlock’s punting and the kick-cover units. Medlock punted six times for a 44.7-yard average – that number would have been higher if he hadn’t bobbled a snap and kicked once with his right foot, not his left.

But consider this punting log total:

Punt 1: 42 yards; fielded by Chris Williams with a return of -1 yard.

Punt 2: 56 yards; fielded by Williams, returned nine yards; Ticats illegal block penalty (half the distance to the goal, six yards).

Punt 3: 53 yards, out of bounds at the Ticats 10-yard line.

Punt 4: 43 yards, out of bounds at the Ticats 10-yard line.

Punt 5: 31 yards (with right foot after bobbled snap); returned by Jay Langa zero yards; illegal block Hamilton; illegally downfield on a kick Winnipeg – penalties offset.

Punt 6: 43 yards: fielded by Chris Williams, zero-yards on return.

The final numbers: the Ticats were credited with three punt returns totalling zero yards.

-Ed Tait

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/08/13/need-know-august-13/

4 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Not sure there are two game day threads either.....but I would be using this one as it is game day now.

44-17 Bombers

I don't quite see it this way. Ottawa has a great short passing attack and given the Bombers DB's play off and soft I think Harris will have a 300-400 yard game. I believe that Nichols will bounce back and have a good game but not sure if that will be enough. I am projecting a close game decided in the 4th quarter.

10 minutes ago, BBRT said:

I don't quite see it this way. Ottawa has a great short passing attack and given the Bombers DB's play off and soft I think Harris will have a 300-400 yard game. I believe that Nichols will bounce back and have a good game but not sure if that will be enough. I am projecting a close game decided in the 4th quarter.

this is closer to what i see ... if we creep up and play tight or man-to-man we may get burned when a receiver breaks a tackle or bounces off a  defender for a huge gain

I'm more interested to see what kind of game Lapolice calls.  I'm still a bit puzzled by what most seem to say was his being uberaggressive with the deep balls last week.  And crazy too when the complaint is usually that he calls too many check down 7 yard passes when it's 2nd and 10.

Gonna be interesting to hear what his usual detractors go off about tonight.

2 hours ago, BBRT said:

Yeh I understand what yer saying...... I am just being extra optimistically hopeful, that Matty and the team look really good and start putting a scare into the rest of the league.  

Just now, NorthernSkunk said:

Yeh I understand what yer saying...... I am just being extra optimistically hopeful, that Matty and the team look really good and start putting a scare into the rest of the league.  

They're #1 in points for and #2 in points against.  I'm fairly sure that the rest of the league is aware of them...

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

They're #1 in points for and #2 in points against.  I'm fairly sure that the rest of the league is aware of them...

There is being aware, and then there is being worried, and then there is sacred...  I'm hoping the Bombers throttle some teams soon so the newscasters HAVE to start reporting on them this way lol...

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

There is being aware, and then there is being worried, and then there is sacred...  I'm hoping the Bombers throttle some teams soon so the newscasters HAVE to start reporting on them this way lol...

They've already throttled some teams.... Montreal, Toronto x2, BC.... 

2 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

It doesn't feel like a "throttling" though when you beat perceived weaker teams.....Ottawa is first in the east, so throttling a team like that will feel just that little bit better going forward.....

Well to be fair, the stiffer your competition is, getting a win even if it's a close overtime win is just as satisfying as winning by double digits.  Having said that, I certainly think we should beat Ottawa by 14 (at least).