Practise Observations Aug 13

Notable:

Lankford got all 1st team reps in Dressler's spot;
Leggett didn't practise - Fenner took SAM reps;
Alexander didn't practise - Cooper took reps in his Field HB spot;
Harris was helmutless - most of his reps taken by LaFrance;

Bennet was one of the up-backs on punt team

Dressler didn't have a noticeable injury, (i.e. walking fine etc.)  
Alexander was walking gingerly on his right leg that had a tensor/wrap
Legget and Harris seem fine...just maintenance

Starting line-ups look to be the same as last week (keep in mind this is only the first practise of the week)...big proviso being whether or not Alexander is good to go...if he isn't...looks like Cooper comes on...probably in his spot with the DI's being Wild, Fenner, Roh and Medlock again.

4 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Oh good lord please don't inflict Ryan Lankford upon us. Hopefully Dress is good to go.

4 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Oh good lord please don't inflict Ryan Lankford upon us. Hopefully Dress is good to go.

I share your horror at the prospect of Lankford replacing Dressler. I am baffled at why he is still on the roster let alone being considered as a starter. Alexander would be loss we would feel as well.

17 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

People seem to forget O'Shea likes dressing Lankford because he's also our backup punter. Not saying that makes the decision any better, just that for some reason he thinks that is relevant.

But now we know Medlock would have to break both legs to leave the game.

48 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

People seem to forget O'Shea likes dressing Lankford because he's also our backup punter. Not saying that makes the decision any better, just that for some reason he thinks that is relevant.

Thing is Conteh can kick too tho.. has kicked 3xtra points and fg's as well as kickoffs at Grambling. Comes from a soccer background so I sure can punt too if required..Lankford has no history at place kicking 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Thing is Conteh can kick too tho.. has kicked 3xtra points and fg's as well as kickoffs at Grambling. Comes from a soccer background so I sure can punt too if required..Lankford has no history at place kicking 

Apparently his pass-catching prowess doesn't have much space on his CV, either.

Edited by Tracker

So yeah, you've got both of them lined up on the punt team, you've got a lot of different fake options for the opposing STC to think about, and since Bennett appears to have some tackling skills you're not sacrificing any coverage ability with him in there.

Bennett has played the outside gunner position last several games...so he is fully immersed into the ST's

Interesting to note what Farhan Larlji mentioned that DC around the league have to tone back their rushes on teams and defense as Winnipeg uses so may variations and has different fake options on kicks, that they have to play if safe to avaoid getting burned..as opposed to rushing hard and trying for a block or pressuring the kicker

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Bennett has played the outside gunner position last several games...so he is fully immersed into the ST's

Interesting to note what Farhan Larlji mentioned that DC around the league have to tone back their rushes on teams and defense as Winnipeg uses so may variations and has different fake options on kicks, that they have to play if safe to avaoid getting burned..as opposed to rushing hard and trying for a block or pressuring the kicker

...which of course, is the idea.  MOS has always required more game planning, from opponents as a ST guy.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

So yeah, you've got both of them lined up on the punt team, you've got a lot of different fake options for the opposing STC to think about, and since Bennett appears to have some tackling skills you're not sacrificing any coverage ability with him in there.

Bennett made a great tackle last week!

1 hour ago, do or die said:

...which of course, is the idea.  MOS has always required more game planning, from opponents as a ST guy.

Not just O’Shea, Boudreau really knows his stuff plus his dad is a wealth of SP teams knowledge too. He might be one of O’Shea’s most underrated hire.

21 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Anybody see how, or if Matty is working on the longer passes at practise ?.......if he starts connecting on a few more of those each games our offence would really start scaring opponents...

He was working on deep corner routes and a few fly routes during Monday scrimmages...but this is common at most practises I've attended...no special attention to the long ball...I attended both practises last week prior to the Hamilton game...I know I wasn't the only observer to indicate that Matty seemed off...a lot of inaccurate throws.  I chalked it up to rust after the bye and expected it would improve before the game on Friday...as we all observed...his accuracy wasn't great last week...this week...he was much more accurate during practise IMHO

5 hours ago, Slingin Sammy said:

He was working on deep corner routes and a few fly routes during Monday scrimmages...but this is common at most practices I've attended...no special attention to the long ball...I attended both clast week prior to the Hamilton game...I know I wasn't the only observer to indicate that Matty seemed off...a lot of inaccurate throws.  I chalked it up to rust after the bye and expected it would improve before the game on Friday...as we all observed...his accuracy wasn't great last week...this week...he was much more accurate during practice IMHO

If Nichols has a wonky knee, it would explain why his longer throws were off. If a QB cannot plant one leg, that has to take a bit off the accuracy and power of the throw.