Game Day Thread- Week Nine: Hamilton @ Winnipeg August 9, 2018

Some interesting things to consider from this game 13 offensive drives (im not counting the snap and kneels at the end of the game) 5 2 and outs + the fumble drive which was 2 plays long. Thats 6/13 drives yielding 12 offensive plays. + 2 5 play drives with the last play being a punt. 8/13 bad offensive drives. the other 5 drives? all scored points. Starting position for those 5 drives? the hamilton 50 (td), the hamilton 26(td), our 45 (fg), our 35(td), and the hamilton 54 yard line. In those 5 drives the first had a 30 yard run by harris, started at the 26, the third was the double PI and roughing that moved the ball 31 yards, the last two drives are classic plop drives. Ball control, moving the ball around, keeping harris involved in multiple ways. And of course, both those drives featured key first down YAC runs by petermann. 

Special teams really wont this game for us. medlock averaged 44.7 net yards punting. limiting williams to 3 returns for 0 yards. Medlock averaged 67.4 yards per kick off, and erlington averaged 22.4 yards per kick off return. Mean while demski averaged 33.3 yards per kick off return (on 70.2 for lirim) and we averaged about 5 yards per punt return while lirim had a net of 35.2

I dont know why we didnt adjust away from those deep passes. I get it that hamilton plays the most man coverage, and that you can create a lot when the saftey slides or shows blitz. But when our offense is at its best they are setting up deep balls slowly. We need for this to be our worst offensive game play call and execution wise for the year. Gotta get back to doing better then this. 

On 2018-08-10 at 9:14 PM, Booch said:

From my vantage point here Nichols is just looking off tonight. Not seeing open guys in the mid range and out wide and forcing things...should change it up with Strevs

I just got back from being in the bush for four days......Booch, I got tossed from you know where for my Matty opinions...and I come back to read all this stuff, too funny.  The CJOB guys were saying much the same stuff during the game, old school camping and listenening to a bomber game is still fun. 

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think he means riderfans...site of the hypocrates and mis-informed

Bombersforum.com.....the home of easily agitated thin skins whom you must agree with or you can't be a part of it. 

This place doesn't seem so thin skinned and I have seen many posts here that would be reported on that forum...... I like this place so far.......less blue kool-aid but still just enough.

It seems to me that there is mounting evidence that Nichols is not the Nichols of last year, and the probable culprit is the weird injury he suffered of late. He dies not look entirely settled or mobile in the pocket and he has zero runs, even when pressured. I hope that he doesn't aggravate things by playing, because we need him to be at his best for the playoffs.

8 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Perhaps an overlooked statistic for Justin Medlock and the special teams’ prowess?

Medlock’s net punting average and his gross punting average were exactly the same - 44.7, including a right-foot boot. How often does that happen?

Good placement and coverage. Well done boys..

That's an amazing stat. I don't know if it's ever been done before. Any statisticians handy to let us know?

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

It seems to me that there is mounting evidence that Nichols is not the Nichols of last year, and the probable culprit is the weird injury he suffered of late. He dies not look entirely settled or mobile in the pocket and he has zero runs, even when pressured. I hope that he doesn't aggravate things by playing, because we need him to be at his best for the playoffs.

Can we afford to sit him though? That'd be quite a gamble considering we don't have Calgary's record.

5 hours ago, J5V said:

Can we afford to sit him though? That'd be quite a gamble considering we don't have Calgary's record.

Maybe not sit him......but when Streveler comes in for the short yardage....and when he makes it they go up tempo a bit and give that offence one more play....

On 2018-08-13 at 5:05 PM, Tracker said:

missing that big chunk of time hurts. QB is a rhythm position, once knocked out of it it is hard and time consuming to get back. 

16 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Maybe not sit him......but when Streveler comes in for the short yardage....and when he makes it they go up tempo a bit and give that offence one more play....

I dont think weve done that in a while, though i do love that package follow up.