Rate Ritchie Hall's Defense

BigBlue

Bomber's Defemse  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Hall's defense, all things considered?

• Championship caliber
    • Above league average
    • Good with serious flaws
    • League average
    • Not awful but needing certain key changes
    • Below league average
    • Poor
    • None of the above

Just stupid that we got two threads popped up right now talking about Nichols and Lapolice while this defense was a freaking dumpster fire all night long.  That unit and its stupid coordinator are 100℅ responsible for this loss because while Nichols does need to pick his game up a little, if we gotta score 45 points consistently to beat teams like this, we're in big trouble.

I'm going to put the blame for this loss right where it belongs.

5 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Just stupid that we got two threads popped up right now talking about Nichols and Lapolice while this defense was a freaking dumpster fire all night long.  That unit and its stupid coordinator are 100℅ responsible for this loss because while Nichols does need to pick his game up a little, if we gotta score 45 points consistently to beat teams like this, we're in big trouble.

The defense again did not play well but it doesn't help when they were required to be on the field all night. In this case last night, Team Game, Team Loss.

6 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

There can be more than one reason that a team loses. And the defence has been the reason this team has won a few games this year, Nichols has been garbage week in and week out. 

4 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

There can be more than one reason that a team loses. And the defence has been the reason this team has won a few games this year, Nichols has been garbage week in and week out. 

Yes, against offenses either devoid of good QBs or playmakers.  As soon as Hall's garbage scheme goes up against teams like this it gets exposed for the scam that it is.

The offense gets no pass, but it's ridiculous to expect them to score 40 plus points week in and week out.  Just ridiculous.

1 minute ago, USABomberfan said:

Yes, against offenses either devoid of good QBs or playmakers.  As soon as Hall's garbage scheme goes up against teams like this it gets exposed for the scam that it is.

The offense gets no pass, but it's ridiculous to expect them to score 40 plus points week in and week out.  Just ridiculous.

Nichols has played some bad defences and still hasn’t put up 300 yards. It goes both ways, pal. 

11 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Nichols has played some bad defences and still hasn’t put up 300 yards. It goes both ways, pal. 

And he's also bailed Richie Hall's butt out more times than I can count over the last three years.

Also, all you people obsessing over Nichols's numbers conveniently forget they also get skewed by his playing in a Harris-centric run heavy offense.

Edited by USABomberfan

Think bad defenses have followed Hall in recent years. He is unadaptable to various offenses and frankly in my opinion his theories are past history and not of the current CFL. With that said the defense cannot be on the filed for as long as they have been. The 2 and outs are far too frequent for our offense and that does not provide the defense an opportunity to regroup recharge and get after it when returning to the field. I think you can place the blame on both sides of the ball and that is not excusing the defense as I have always said the talent can change but the results will not as long as they play with Hall's schemes. We simply got outcoached by both coordinators and HC. Simple

14 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Think bad defenses have followed Hall in recent years. He is unadaptable to various offenses and frankly in my opinion his theories are past history and not of the current CFL. With that said the defense cannot be on the filed for as long as they have been. The 2 and outs are far too frequent for our offense and that does not provide the defense an opportunity to regroup recharge and get after it when returning to the field. I think you can place the blame on both sides of the ball and that is not excusing the defense as I have always said the talent can change but the results will not as long as they play with Hall's schemes. We simply got outcoached by both coordinators and HC. Simple

No. Our players got outplayed and beat by their players. Yeah its coaches missing throws and dropping balls and missing tackles and being beat by Ottawa receivers all night long. Its not the players tho.. Nope. 

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

No. Our players got outplayed and beat by their players. Yeah its coaches missing throws and dropping balls and missing tackles and being beat by Ottawa receivers all night long. Its not the players tho.. Nope. 

I don't think his post negates this.  Our own players have responsibilities, but these results are consistent with a bend and break defense.  If Mike O'Shea does not eradicate this scheme and philosophy this offseason, then his job too should be in jeopardy.

Just now, USABomberfan said:

I don't think his post negates this.  Our own players have responsibilities, but these results are consistent with a bend and break defense.  If Mike O'Shea does not eradicate this scheme and philosophy this offseason, then his job too should be in jeopardy.

Wait... Are you saying that you're dissatisfied with the performance of our defensive coordinator?

On 2018-08-18 at 11:15 AM, WBBFanWest said:

Wait... Are you saying that you're dissatisfied with the performance of our defensive coordinator?

Yes, I think that is a fair comment. Is it not the DC's job to go to his HC and say, I need to replace a few guys because they aren't getting the job done? 

4 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Yes, I think that is a fair comment. Is it not the DC's job to go to his HC and say, I need to replace a few guys because they aren't getting the job done? 

I would move this a little higher up. I suggest that Wade Miller go to his GM and inform him that a few coaches are not getting the job done and if he does not make some changes in the off season his job will be at risk. Not even suggesting blowing up anything until end of season but 5 years going no where fast is just about enough. Miller has to worry about season tickets and revenue streams for 2019 and given what we are seeing today - that may be a major issue.

6 hours ago, BBRT said:

I would move this a little higher up. I suggest that Wade Miller go to his GM and inform him that a few coaches are not getting the job done and if he does not make some changes in the off season his job will be at risk. Not even suggesting blowing up anything until end of season but 5 years going no where fast is just about enough. Miller has to worry about season tickets and revenue streams for 2019 and given what we are seeing today - that may be a major issue.

To beat a dead horse, if Miller has to tell Walters what to do about the coaching staff, then Walters is not qualified to do the job and should be fired.

27 minutes ago, Tracker said:

To beat a dead horse, if Miller has to tell Walters what to do about the coaching staff, then Walters is not qualified to do the job and should be fired.

I can see you point however there are times with the CEO does need to remind those below him about the overall goal etc. I think a gentle word would suffice however you may be correct and Walters is not qualified to do his job.

From 3Downnation today:

It’s time for Hall to fall

The Bombers gave up 500 yards of offence to the Ottawa Redblacks last week. Trevor Harris completed 29 of 39 pass attempts for 361 yards and a touchdown en route to a 44-21 victory at Investors Group Field.

Blue Bomber defensive coordinator Richie Hall met with a scrum of reporters at practice this past week and, when asked to comment on the play of his defence, offered a response that was matched in its incredulity only by its tone-deafness.

“I like where we’re at.”

“I like where we’re at.”

Barf.

If Hall liked watching his unit give up 500 yards to Ottawa, I’m interested to learn how he feels about them giving up 516 yards to Calgary. Bo Levi Mitchell completed 25 of 42 pass attempts for 452 yards and three touchdowns in an effort that set two new milestones in Cowtown. It was the first 400-yard passing game of Mitchell’s career, while Kamar Jorden’s 249-yard performance broke the Stampeders’ club record for single-game receiving yardage.

It’s time for Winnipeg to relieve Richie Hall of his duties. Enough is enough.

Hall is a well-respected person in CFL circles who emanates class, humility, and kindness. This isn’t personal. This is about winning games.

Richie Hall’s defence isn’t helping the Bombers win. It hasn’t for awhile.

Mike O’Shea, Glen Young, and Jordan Younger share a combined 39 years of playing experience and fifteen years of coaching experience. The trio is surely capable of picking up the slack in Hall’s absence.

A change is needed. Let’s see if Mike O’Shea has the nerve to make it.

I don't like asking for someone to be fired. Anyway, I'm skeptical that firing Hall would make much difference.

But if Hall is going to be let go, I would like it to be now, so that O'Shea does not have that excuse card to play at the end of the season, justifying  O'Shea hanging on for another year or two.

Edited by Mark F

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

I don't like asking for someone to be fired. 

But if Hall is going to be let go, I would like it to be now, so that O'Shea does not have that excuse card to play at the end of the season, justifying  O'Shea hanging on for another year or two.

People are actually hoping for an Eastern playoff spot. how pathetic is that?

I would take an eastern playoff spot over no play off spot.  But beat the riders twice and we should be fighting for second in the west. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

MOS tied himself to Hall this season.  He will have to make the decision to get rid of him lest he also go down with the sinking ship.

What may be compounding O'Shea's reluctance to dump Hall is that Hall has been rumoured to have or have had  serious health problems and firing him would certainly put Hall in a difficult situation.