Rate Ritchie Hall's Defense

BigBlue

Bomber's Defemse  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Hall's defense, all things considered?

• Championship caliber
    • Above league average
    • Good with serious flaws
    • League average
    • Not awful but needing certain key changes
    • Below league average
    • Poor
    • None of the above

2 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

So...has anyone changed their mind about Richie Hall's defence?  

I was never as hard on him as others on here have been but even I'm impressed how it's turned around. So now I'm turning my efforts on getting Lapo fired. 😆

We were discussing it yesterday while watching, a theory that was proposed is that someone got Hall to change up how he blitzes. He used to be very predictable with his blitzes (see first game vs. Hamilton) Now it seems like when they blitz it's not an easy read and completion for the opposing qb. I know Doug Brown for one has talked in the past how he was never a fan of the way Hall drew up blitzes. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

We were discussing it yesterday while watching, a theory that was proposed is that someone got Hall to change up how he blitzes. He used to be very predictable with his blitzes (see first game vs. Hamilton) Now it seems like when they blitz it's not an easy read and completion for the opposing qb. I know Doug Brown for one has talked in the past how he was never a fan of the way Hall drew up blitzes. 

I would say better play from the secondary has allowed the blitzes to be more effective.  Two guys in particular have got their A game back: Loffler is looking more like he did two years ago, and Randall is back to being a shut down corner. Then you add a monster named Bighill and you get what we saw yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

I would say better play from the secondary has allowed the blitzes to be more effective.  Two guys in particular have got their A game back: Loffler is looking more like he did two years ago, and Randall is back to being a shut down corner. Then you add a monster named Bighill and you get what we saw yesterday. 

That came up too, Sayles really has come on strong and solidified the secondary. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

That came up too, Sayles really has come on strong and solidified the secondary. 

Agreed - all around improvement has allowed some of the young talent to emerge. I suppose people will still knock the team’s scouting and often rightfully so, but they certainly find some good DBs. 

Gaitor has been a pleasant surprise and his experience with CFL game is a big thing in the success.

Alexander and Sayles have really come on strong.. allowing Randle  and Fogg to just focus on their jobs and not really have to worry about covering up or helping else where.. which I think has now allowed us to be able to employ the linebackers and dlineman differently to play this new aggressive style of defense..finally... also. It has allowed loffler to roam and play safety like before

This is definitely the first time I have had any confidence in our defense under this administration. I hate to admit it because I love the guy but Leggett was never the same this year after his major injury last year and I think we have been playing much better without him.

Even with that said, was I the only one worried we would come out after half time playing prevent defense the whole second half? I still have nightmares of BC throwing wide open 15 yard completions to the sideline repeatedly in the playoffs a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

This is definitely the first time I have had any confidence in our defense under this administration. I hate to admit it because I love the guy but Leggett was never the same this year after his major injury last year and I think we have been playing much better without him.

Even with that said, was I the only one worried we would come out after half time playing prevent defense the whole second half? I still have nightmares of BC throwing wide open 15 yard completions to the sideline repeatedly in the playoffs a couple of years ago.

I would give him next year- I have faith that he will return to form.

The defense has been mostly great since that loss to Ottawa back in August. That seemed like the wake up call the defense needed and they've never really looked back. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they perform against the Stampeders in two weeks.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment here and pose the question once more: has O'Shea gotten more involved in the defensive scheming since that brutal loss? IIRC, didn't he state prior to the season he'd have more say in that phase? I can't help but wonder. I mean, we saw Chamblin do the same a province over back in 2013 after a pretty rough stretch of losses.

Just a curiosity of mine and perhaps something worth discussing.

On 2018-09-30 at 9:51 AM, ALuCsRED said:

I can’t believe they gave up 3 points to Edmonton yesterday.  And to boot, the defence only scored 1 TD on Fogg’s pick 6.

At least the defence improved a little since Edmonton.  Still, they only scored 1 TD on the fumble return and gave up a full 0 pts.  

Not trying to take credit away from Hall but I believe the players and leaders on Defence have significantly stepped up and improved their on field play. During the 4 game losing streak, even Bighill's play was not what it is now.   And I would include other players in that as well, such as JSK, Alexander, Nevis and Loffler.  

But the last 4 games or more I've seen the defensive players take ownership of their own performance.  Even before the current winning streak the defence was playing well and if the offence was just a bit better we'd probably be talking a couple more wins.  

Keep Hall...Fire Lapo