Blue Bomber Attendance

Uncle Bill

Curious to see if there is any chance the success of the Jets, the return of the Moose and the Goldeyes impacts Blue Bomber attendance? I read an infuriating comment on another board ridiculing Bomber attendance. Don’t get me wrong, the Blue Bombers are third in CFL attendance this season @26k~/average per game. FOOD FOR DISCUSSION.

Jets 2017/2018: 628,161 fans @$120 average ticket price (guess)

Moose 2017/2018: 200,526~ fans @$20 average ticket price (guess)

Goldeyes 2017: 219,556~ fans @$20 average ticket price (guess)

Well. It's no secret that many of us only have so much money to go around. And some only prefer one maybe two sports. It's fairly rare that someone has tickets to all 4 professional sports teams. For me personally I am 100% Bombers first, Jets second, Moose and Goldeyes 3/4. I get to every Bomber game, a handful of Jets games, maybe 1 Moose and 1 Goldeyes game a year.

I know several who had to drop Bomber tickets this year to pay for their Jets playoff tickets. So yes it can definitely impact the Bombers. But I think we have a fairly good attendance considering all the factors.

15 minutes ago, yogi said:

26K average seems in line with most other years. Maybe a bit lower, but not alarming.

Agreed. I was thinking earlier in the year that the Jets run would have an effect but there really hasn't been enough of a deviation from the norm to say one way or another.

Poor play off performance the last couple years are keeping it down a bit. That and the early season injury to nichols. Other wise Im sure we'd a had another 1-2k which is a very good range to be in. Moose and goldeyes give away a LOT of free tickets. The jets play a lot more home games and hockey up here isnt comparable to any thing else up here. 

We are in a good spot and it is only improving. It looks worse on tv then it is in reality too, because we have a couple thousand people at the rum hut at all times. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I wonder if the location of the stadium makes a dent for the amount of people going?

I still see many comments in the Winnipeg Free Press from some incredibly bitter people about the location. Personally, I lived in river heights and I hated the polo park location. Parking was always a beeyach as was traffic exiting. I wonder if those who complain about parking and traffic today overlook yesterday’s problems. I don’t want this thread to get derailed so I’ll leave it at that.

Like tracker said, the new stadium is so much an improvement, I can’t imagine the current location has a significant impact on attendance. 

39 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

I can't imagine location still being such a sore point (though this is Winnipeg and people *are* set in their ways).  Like you, I always found Polo Park to be a bit of a nightmare. Traffic / Parking at the U of M is pretty damned efficient now.

It of course is still an issue for exactly the reason you mention. People who were close to the stadium think that going to the other side of the city is just the worst thing ever! And I don't know where to park down there, and it's strange and new and why can't it still be the 1980s?

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I wonder if the location of the stadium makes a dent for the amount of people going?

I think temperatures in the 30s and a large number of young growing families with cabins plays a bigger role. I have an almost 4 yr old girl, i want to bring her but shes 3 still so yeah.. I dont go. I do go to my lake with her and her mom and watch on Sat. TV. 

The new location absolutely has a lot to do with my cancellation of season tickets. Until the bike routes to and from the stadium are safe and secure I'll only attend 3 games a season. I'm not bitter but I am an ex season ticket holder. Cue the people that live 3 provinces over to tell me I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

The new location absolutely has a lot to do with my cancellation of season tickets. Until the bike routes to and from the stadium are safe and secure I'll only attend 3 games a season. I'm not bitter but I am an ex season ticket holder. Cue the people that live 3 provinces over to tell me I'm wrong.

Where are you biking from? Could you load up the bikes and drive part of the way? As long as you drive close enough to access the Bishop Grandin Greenway, you can then get to IGF via the Fort Gary bridge and then going through University Heights and the old golf course without ever being in traffic. 

Also, for future consideration, I believe the 2nd phase of the busway will have a dedicated active transportation route along it as well that should take you right to the stadium.

The location is such a red herring.  I've been to more games at IGF because of the location than I went to at CIS.  So at worst, you're swapping people out.  In the first couple of years does that mean some season ticket holders dropped off that werent replaced?  Maybe, but they will be replaced by people who find it more convenient.

I think Goalie is more correct in that weekends in the Summer here, you're competing with cottage country.  And everyone has TV at the cottage and half of the people with trailers do too so they're watching the game in HD at the lake when you couldn't do that in the past.

The only time the location is an issue if its pouring with rain or freezing cold and people make the walk from Pembina.  But since we've had games with rain and events in the cold that didnt seem to be an issue.

I know going to CIS seems like, for revisionists, the easiest thing in the world, but it wasnt for a lot of people sitting in gridlock to get there or parking a mile away and walking.

19 hours ago, MC said:

The Jets playoff run definitely has a major impact on the Bombers bottom line.  Mostly the casual fans, but these are the ones that make the difference between a break even year and a profitable one.

I agree. This was my first year with jets season tickets and I paid out the a$$ for the game, food, drinks etc. When playoffs came around, I was dishing out around $200+ including the ticket. Bomber games are a fraction of the cost but I'm sure this is why our attendance may be a little lower than expected.

34 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

you're wrong

I spend every weekend on the lake so I personally only go to September games (if they're meaningful)

Manitoba is lake country and that's just a hurdle that Miller and co have to overcome. I do think the right man is on the job though 

Edited by Dr Zaius