Game Day Thread- Week Seven: Toronto @ Winnipeg July 27, 2018

It's Game day!

tor-vs-wpg.jpg

GAME 7 | TORONTO ARGONAUTS (1-4) vs WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS (3-3)

Kickoff: 7:30 p.m., Friday; Investors Group Field
TV: TSN, RDS, ESPN+
Radio: CJOB
Vegas line: The Bombers are favoured by 10 points.
Streaks: Toronto: 2L: Winnipeg: 1W
Home/Road: The Bombers are 1-1 at home; Toronto is 0-2 on the road.
Series (since 1961): Toronto leads with a record of 60-56-2. The Bombers are 37-22 vs. Toronto in Winnipeg over that span.
Recent history: The two clubs split their season series last year, but Winnipeg is 4-1 in the last four meetings, including last week’s 38-20 victory in Toronto

(Thanks Ed Tait)

Depth-vs-Toronto-1-1600x1127.jpg

DjCVVZ6W4AIzHYx.jpg:large

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Irving & Tait 3 keys to the game

1. Unsettle James Frankli n again, with genuine heat

2. Bomber's Offence needs to mix up play calling 

3. Contain dangerous Markese Jackson & Kick Coverage

For me, I want to see the mental toughness to put a real opponent into a game long throttling - no letting them get up even once ... I don't want to see us make a come from behind victory .... If the Blue lose I will give my head a shake as a fan and the whole team and coaches should reevaluate life ... we are 3 games behind Calgary with the best O-Line in the league  if not the nastiest

Film study be damned ... I want to see smash mouth football ... dominance ... then I will know we have turned the corner ... we need a feeding frenzy explosion (at long last)

Go Tenbrell Thompkins!

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/07/26/matt-nichols-july-26-2/ 

Edited by BigBlue

There's a game day thread shoot out at the mbb corral. 

Now that Thompkins is in, I think we can expect a better offensive output from the Bombers/sarcasm.

Be interesting to see if the change in D line for Toronto will help. Probably not.

But their defence has to be feeling some shame after last game.

Edited by Mark F

5 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

I wonder if other CFL cities are as lucky as us to have 2, 2 hour pre page shows? (still gotta listen to Bob even though i like Walby and Bauming)

sometimes Argonauts have no pregame show at all. Bumped for who knows what.

most are an hour, sask is I think three hours. Bob has Ed Tait on for an hour, really enjoyable listening to Ed and Bob discussing football.

I like Bauming, seems to do a lot of preparation, 

Ed is my favourite football analyst.

Edited by Mark F

Game Day Notes

- Blue Bombers with 3 straight 100's: Andrew Harris has a streak of 3 straight 100-yard rushing games coming into this game. Willard Reaves' feat of 8 straight in 1984 is the club record. Reaves is the only Bomber to rush for 100 yards in 4 or more straight games.

-Mike Pringle holds the CFL record of 13 straight 100 yd rushing games..

- Andrew Harris: Leads the CFL in rushing with 610 yards and is trying to become the first Blue Bomber to lead the league two years in a row since Charles Roberts in 2005-6. Harris had a career-high 161-yard rushing total last week and has 409 yards on 52 carries over his last 3 games.

- Weston Dressler 118 straight: Dressler's current consecutive game reception streak is up to 118 in a row (last game w/o a catch: Aug 12/10). Dressler's 118-game streak is the 8th longest in CFL history (next ahead at #7 is Craig Ellis at 120 in a row). He needs 68 yards to pass Tony Gabriel (9,832) for #18 all-time and is 235 yards away from becoming the CFL's 17th 10,000 yard receiver. Weston is 7 short of becoming the CFL's 13th player to reach 700 career receptions.

- James Wilder Jr. focus: Opponents have emphasized stopping him since his rookie season excellence - over the last 2 games he has 15 runs for just 24 yards with a long of only 5. As a receiver however, he has 12 catches for 104 yards in those two games. Will he play tonight?

- Jackson Jeffcoat: Was blanked in the first three games this year but has 4 QB Sacks in his last 3 games.

- James Franklin: The Argos have gone 1-2 with Franklin as their starter at QB after their tough 38-20 loss to Winnipeg last week.

- Bomber runs: With 160 rushes so far they are on pace for 480 in 2018, the most by any club since Saskatchewan in 2002 (493).

- O-Line Continuity: Winnipeg has started the same 5-man offensive line in every game this year and that streak extends back 8 games to the end of 2017. Consecutive start streaks ...

Stanley Bryant 71 games, Matthias Goossen 46, Jermarcus Hardrick 33, Sukh Chungh 24 and Patrick Neufeld 8.

- Toronto at 1-4 / 1-5?: The last time that the Argos were 1-4 out of the gate was in 2014 but they won Game #6 that year. The last time they fell to a 1-5 start was in 2011 when they started out 1-6.

- No offensive TDs: The Bombers held Toronto without an offensive TD last week - the last time that the Bombers 'D' accomplished that was in the final game of 2017 vs CGY (23-5). Toronto was last held w/o an Off. TD was on Aug 26/17 vs Calgary.

- Field position starts: The Bombers are tied with Calgary for #1 in this key aspect. They have started on average at their own 39- yard line, well above the 35-yard line CFL-wide spot. That translates into an advantage of 320+ yards of additional field position.0

Edited by Mr Dee

2 hours ago, do or die said:

My 3 keys:

1.  Stop turning over the damn football - way too many, the last 2 games....
2.  Keep Franklin in the pocket - make him get it done from there
3.  Keep Harris on his roll

A few concerns I have had over the past few weeks are the turnovers, penalties and second-half offense. If we fix those issues, we are always going to be hard to beat.

All of our losses (save for maybe Hamilton where our D was horrendous) were self-inflicted wounds. Even last week, aside from a few missed FG's, the only time the Argos scored was when we shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers. The penalties though are really annoying, especially ones like JSK's illegal contact last week. No need to hipcheck the guy as he runs past you and it nullified what would have been a 2nd and long.

Well, 2 questions loom tonight ...

1.  Has the Argos defense after getting shredded by Nichols and Harris last week taken too much of a psychological fall that they feel too overpowered to stop us?  Or have they come out with a brand new plan?

2. Will James Franklin be improved in accuracy this week?  Or shall he once again make the awful Richie Hall look like a genius?

EDM 7 84 133 973 6 1 7.3
EDM 2 19 24 334 4 0 13.9
EDM 3 13 19 142 2 0 7.5
TOR 5 72 110 731 2 3 6.6

Total
17 188 286 2180 14 4 7.6

Franklin stats. 6.6 yards a pass this season. five games two td passes. not winning many games with that output.

might see Mcleod B Thompson sometime in this game. 

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

Well, 2 questions loom tonight ...

1.  Has the Argos defense after getting shredded by Nichols and Harris last week taken too much of a psychological fall that they feel too overpowered to stop us?  Or have they come out with a brand new plan?

2. Will James Franklin be improved in accuracy this week?  Or shall he once again make the awful Richie Hall look like a genius?

We get it, you don't like Hall.  Not sure what you're going to do if his defense keeps improving, but feel free to not slag him in every other post you make.  That would be grand.

anniversary : https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/07/26/matt-nichols-game-changer/

It was two years ago, less one day, that Matt Nichols was handed the keys to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers offence 

really good article about Nichols.

also revealed:, an O'Shea joke. check it out folks, that could be it for an O'Shea jest this season.

Ed Tait is must read.

Edited by Mark F