Game Day Thread - Bombers @ Argos

BigBlue

O’Shea knows the rule book as well as any Coach I’ve observed. If there is a question about a certain call during games, O’Shea sends in the tape about those calls and asks for clarification. That is exactly why O’Shea nearly lost it when Jeffcoat was tagged with the highly questionable horse collar penalty in the BC game. He had asked for the correct interpretation, received it, and yet the wrong call was made on that Jeffcoat tackle. That was a costly penalty for the Bombers made worse by the fact that it was a mistake.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Having one challenge a game is stupid.  If the refs are making incorrect calls and the coaches win the challenge they should be unlimited.

They still haven’t got this right. Lose a challenge? Yes, then you lose your time-out. But why get punished (no more challlenges) for getting a challenge right? 

Makes no sense..

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

I'd say Streveler is already our James Franklin - a very very good backup QB...

What was the challenge OShea threw - TSN never replayed it...  got to see a replay of the ref running backwards in slo mo and falling... very grateful for that

Fun game - Neufeld is slowly winning me over, Bomber OL makes TO OL look like plugs.

Just play 3 NI REC already... why not

TSN really bugs me - there are a lot of replays that just don't get shown.  Not sure why they couldn't have shown what O'Shea was challenging there.  Duane Ford made some comment about how he thought they should allow challenges for illegal contact on a receiver and then Rod Black just messed up the conversation as always.  You would think though that O'Shea would know that illegal contact isn't challengeable.  I didn't understand it myself. 

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

TSN really bugs me - there are a lot of replays that just don't get shown.  Not sure why they couldn't have shown what O'Shea was challenging there.  Duane Ford made some comment about how he thought they should allow challenges for illegal contact on a receiver and then Rod Black just messed up the conversation as always.  You would think though that O'Shea would know that illegal contact isn't challengeable.  I didn't understand it myself. 

They try to do much during the game.  So tired of interviews starting between plays then continuing on during a play.   I tune in for the football game, not the other stuff.  Show me the damn game.   Also the stupid camera angles or sideline shots are too long between plays as well.  I want to see how the teams are lining up prior to the snap.  

Keep it simple and do the simple stuff well and people will be happy.   Try to do too much and do a bad job at it, and they will piss people off.  

O’Shea spoke to the challenge in the post game interview (you can watch it on the Bombers website or in the app). He was trying to challenge illegal contact on the guy covering Dressler (which is why Dressler was so active in the conversation), he forgot that it had been removed. He said he would’ve rather taken the delay of game penalty but he was basically stuck having to challenge, so he challenged PI (Adams was the target, so presumably he was just hoping that they’d watch the review and see the IC on Dressler and call it anyway). He said he just made a mistake, plain and simple. I’m sure he knows IC is no longer challengable, but in the heat of the moment had a brain fart. He’s human.  

Edited by O2L

2 hours ago, Rich said:

They try to do much during the game.  So tired of interviews starting between plays then continuing on during a play.   I tune in for the football game, not the other stuff.  Show me the damn game.   Also the stupid camera angles or sideline shots are too long between plays as well.  I want to see how the teams are lining up prior to the snap.  

Keep it simple and do the simple stuff well and people will be happy.   Try to do too much and do a bad job at it, and they will piss people off.  

I watched as much World Cup as I could find time for and it was quite refreshing to not be bombarded by interviews and graphics that took away from the game more than they added.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

The ref cam is awful. Adds nothing.

I think it at least adds more than the live mic games. With everybody talking at once you don't get many great moments anyways. 

TSN's coverage has been awful this year. They don't spend much time talking about the game or the actual plays. Long interviews in the middle of the game. No replays on some plays, then wait so long so that they can use their TSN Tempo screen. They can't even get the basics this year - LOS and first down lines, proper camera angles. 

4 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

TSN needs some new blood covering the games.....Burris ain't it.

To much goofing around on the panel,   I'd drop Milt and Burris since they state the obvious and really don't add much.    I wouldn't mind having a coach on the panel to mix it up ... maybe since Lapo is a complete crap OC (based on what I read on here) he can go back on TSN after he is terminated and every other team passes on him. 

On 2018-07-22 at 3:23 PM, Captain Blue said:

I think it at least adds more than the live mic games. With everybody talking at once you don't get many great moments anyways. 

TSN's coverage has been awful this year. They don't spend much time talking about the game or the actual plays. Long interviews in the middle of the game. No replays on some plays, then wait so long so that they can use their TSN Tempo screen. They can't even get the basics this year - LOS and first down lines, proper camera angles.  

I'd settle for Rod Black being able to distinguish between Trevor Harris and Travis Lulay.

Dude called Harris "Lulay" like six times last weekend.

Need to sub Kate Beirness in for Rod Smith in the studio full-time and the get Rod S. and Dunigan out as a regular full-time broadcast team.  That'd go a long way towards fixing up the TSN broadcasts.

On 2018-07-21 at 6:52 PM, Brandon said:

I'm so mad at TSN... PVR recorded MLS soccer for the first half....  does anyone have a link or source where I can watch the first half??

What I saw in the 2nd half was a terrible Franklin,  great pressure up front by our d-line and apparently Bowman isn't playing anymore for us???

I don't understand why people are mad at coaches for players fumbling that's all on the player??

My only gripe is why wasn't LaFrance and Streveler in the game for the last 2 drives?

On 2018-07-21 at 6:54 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

LaFrance wasn't dressed.  But yeah, Augustine and Streves should have been in there, don't understand it.

And yeah TSN screwed me too!  Jerks!  Why show that soccer garbage on TSN1??

Always use TSN3, that's the Winnipeg feed.  BellMTS has it on 1022, but not sure what other providers use.

On 2018-07-22 at 10:30 AM, JuranBoldenRules said:

The challenges need some common sense, or get rid of them entirely.  Illegal contact should be reviewable on the intended receiver.  We can challenge roughing the kicker now but not illegal contact?  Just because Maas is a ****** who tried to take advantage of it?  Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.  At this point they might as well just let the booth initiate all challenges.  Having one challenge a game is stupid.  If the refs are making incorrect calls and the coaches win the challenge they should be unlimited.

Pretty sure it was Dickenson in Calgary who was abusing the Illegal Contact challenges.  Had a receiver away from the play run over a defender on every play so that he had it in his back pocket if a pass went incomplete.

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Id rather see a camera on a drone like 20 yards behind the QB, or that wire camera the nfl uses some times. 

They've had the wire cam at a few games this year so far... I want to say in Hamilton and Toronto.  I think it's coming to the rest of the league, likely costs making it take a long time.

I think a drone is a bad idea because of the possibility of a dead battery in the middle of a play.

21 hours ago, Brandon said:

To much goofing around on the panel,   I'd drop Milt and Burris since they state the obvious and really don't add much.    I wouldn't mind having a coach on the panel to mix it up ... maybe since Lapo is a complete crap OC (based on what I read on here) he can go back on TSN after he is terminated and every other team passes on him. 

it's probably because the casual fan doesn't really want to hear in-depth football analysis (or at least that's the theory)... they just want to hear a little bit about the game and have a few laughs... 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

it's probably because the casual fan doesn't really want to hear in-depth football analysis (or at least that's the theory)... they just want to hear a little bit about the game and have a few laughs... 

I don't mind some fun... but I don't imagine casual fans carrying about what kind of dinners the QB and RB will be buying the o-line and Milt being confused on what a two-four is...  

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎22 at 10:55 AM, Mr Dee said:

They still haven’t got this right. Lose a challenge? Yes, then you lose your time-out. But why get punished (no more challlenges) for getting a challenge right? 

Makes no sense..

No more challenges than they are. Right or wrong I like it just the way it is. The game flows again with no more annoying bogus challenges.