Portage & Main

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

So ppl who dont want to wait an extra 3 minutes a day at an intersection are gonna spend 20 minutes in line to vote no? This is so absurd and stupid its not even funny. Bowman needs to grow a set and just do it already. Screw the Brandons of the world who are afraid of change and apparently think this is about piss. Uninformed fool. Ppl will vote no cuz no project would ever get 50 percent of ppl saying yes and the biz owners will say that's great but it was our decision to close it and its our decision to open it. And ppl will ***** and whine and complain... Just like they did with the forks development.. Mts centre and every other project. 

They are also the people who have no problem telling other people to 'walk a few extra blocks' to avoid the intersection, because only their time is important. 

2 hours ago, nate007 said:

They are also the people who have no problem telling other people to 'walk a few extra blocks' to avoid the intersection, because only their time is important. 

I was in the area of P&M this weekend (went to Le Monkey Bar on the bridge) and I paid closer attention to the new skyscraper going up that will bring 600 people to the area.  There is a cross walk currently, right outside where that building will be.  But its sort of dreary and all the times I've driven through, I rarely recall people using it.  That will, of course, change when the building is up.  So one argument would be that people can cross there.  But I would suspect that cross walk will be jazzed up too.  If P&M was open, you'd likely get away with closing that one altogether.

28 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Lol  big time!   Thankfully he has avoided the restaurant thread where I've stated that Sals is over rated lol!   

Sals holds a lot of nostalgia but its not nearly as good as I remember as a kid.  But for the amount I eat there, nothing beats a Nip!

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎13 at 7:22 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats really the crux of the disappointment with the referendum.  Regardless of what side people fall on, if they treated every average city decision (and thats what this is, its not as big as IGF, MTSC, Portage Place, The Forks, BRT etc), nothing would ever pass and people voting "no" on one would eventually favour something and lose.  Thats not how you govern.  We elect a council and Mayor for the purpose of doing the due diligence, having expertise in place and making decisions that might not always be the most popular but are in the best interests of the city.

Asking people who are not educated on the issue to vote is just not prudent.  

We sure wouldnt have the Esplanade Riel as many, many people (probably myself included) were against that little vanity project and its become an iconic image of Winnipeg (and I go there quite often, its great).  No IGF (and ask yourself where the Bombers would be today because CIS would have been condemned).  No MTSC which means no Jets.  Which means no TNS, probably means no Alt/Glasshouse either.  And possibly no new tallest Skyscraper.

People who want to vote no, fine, I get it.  But if you dont like something, dont go.  Dont ruin it for everyone else who understand why its a positive for the city.

No disrespect but you sound like a sore loser.  If politicians want to make it a referendum then it's become part of the process & you have to respect & accept it. In Calgary, we have a referendum on the Winter Olympics in November, thank God, as the city councillors are intent of ramming  the $4.5 to $5 billion budget through.  I fully expect that voters will put a stop to such political insanity. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

58 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No disrespect but you sound like a sore loser.  If politicians want to make it a referendum then it's become part of the process & you have to respect & accept it. In Calgary, we have a referendum on the Winter Olympics in November, thank God, as the city councillors are intent of ramming  the $4.5 to $5 billion budget through.  I fully expect that voters will put a stop to such political insanity. 

The insane part about this plebisite is that it is happening at all. Our mayor's main opponent was using P&M as a main part her platform and he wanted to pull the rug out from under her. In terms of infrastructure projects, it is very, very minor in cost and scale, but now the whole city gets to weigh in on it. Bowman showed zero leadership on this issue. 

12 hours ago, nate007 said:

The insane part about this plebisite is that it is happening at all. Our mayor's main opponent was using P&M as a main part her platform and he wanted to pull the rug out from under her. In terms of infrastructure projects, it is very, very minor in cost and scale, but now the whole city gets to weigh in on it. Bowman showed zero leadership on this issue. 

Bowman is the smiling mayor...  it's unfortunate that this city doesn't have anyone legit to run for mayor.    If Browaty were to run he would of won by a landslide.... 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Bowman is the smiling mayor...  it's unfortunate that this city doesn't have anyone legit to run for mayor.    If Browaty were to run he would of won by a landslide.... 

Russ Wyatt was the chosen one but....

Lets face facts...WPG has not voted out a mayor since the early 60's.

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Russ Wyatt was the chosen one but....

Lets face facts...WPG has not voted out a mayor since the early 60's.

Most cities are like that. Smaller voter turnout. Usually something 50 candidates running all with their own platforms. Some are pretty wacked. People know the incumbent Mayor & are familiar with him/her. So, incumbents have the advantage.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Most cities are like that. Smaller voter turnout. Usually something 50 candidates running all with their own platforms. Some are pretty wacked. People know the incumbent Mayor & are familiar with him/her. So, incumbents have the advantage.

Exactly the same thing with all municipal politics. 

On 2018-08-18 at 9:26 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sore loser?  How would you sound if we could go in time and not have the new area, jets, TNS, IGF, Bombers etc?  Thrilled?

Its fair commentary to be critical of the decision to hold a referendum.  As I noted, I said whichever side you're on.  If a referendum was more likely to generate an outcome I personally supported, I'd be happy AND still point out how stupid it is.  Every election now, someone running for mayor or someone on council will pick some issue and say "why not add it to the ballot".  

When it comes to politicians making bad decisions, you know how you stop it?  You vote for someone else.  If the point is that the politicians in favour of Olympic spending would win again anyway, what does that tell you?  If referendum's generate more public interest, then lets get rid of the mayor altogether and just hold an annual referendum on everything.  Easy peasy.

On 2018-08-18 at 10:32 PM, nate007 said:

As I understand it, Bowman had no choice as it had the support of Council so he supported it to avoid going on record as opposed to it.  It was that decision that totally undermined his opponent.  And it speaks to the quality of voters in that, Bowman will likely easily win but his big city project will be defeated.  Its lunacy.

2 hours ago, Logan007 said:

Equating the Forks, True North Center, The Human Rights Museum, etc... to opening up Portage and Main is hilarious.

Exactly which is why the idea of voting on opening up an intersection is so absurd.  People are treating it like there are ZERO pedestrian crossing's and this would be the FIRST ONE EVER lol

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Sore loser?  How would you sound if we could go in time and not have the new area, jets, TNS, IGF, Bombers etc?  Thrilled?

Its fair commentary to be critical of the decision to hold a referendum.  As I noted, I said whichever side you're on.  If a referendum was more likely to generate an outcome I personally supported, I'd be happy AND still point out how stupid it is.  Every election now, someone running for mayor or someone on council will pick some issue and say "why not add it to the ballot".  

When it comes to politicians making bad decisions, you know how you stop it?  You vote for someone else.  If the point is that the politicians in favour of Olympic spending would win again anyway, what does that tell you?  If referendum's generate more public interest, then lets get rid of the mayor altogether and just hold an annual referendum on everything.  Easy peasy.

Whether you like it or not, the voters of Winnipeg have been included in this decision & whatever their decision is, you have to accept. It is what it is. What about 40 years ago? City councillors closed the intersection without a plebiscite. Had there been one, it never would have closed. We wouldn't be having this conversation today. Two or 3 generations of Winnipeggers have lived with the intersection being closed & now it's a question of whether opening or closing P & M will affect their lives & if they want it opened or not. And no, not every issue will be added to the ballot & you know that as there have been plebiscites before. Just make sure you vote. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Whether you like it or not, the voters of Winnipeg have been included in this decision & whatever their decision is, you have to accept. It is what it is. What about 40 years ago? City councillors closed the intersection without a plebiscite. Had there been one, it never would have closed. We wouldn't be having this conversation today. Two or 3 generations of Winnipeggers have lived with the intersection being closed & now it's a question of whether opening or closing P & M will affect their lives & if they want it opened or not. And no, not every issue will be added to the ballot & you know that as there have been plebiscites before. Just make sure you vote. 

Im not at all sure what point you're arguing.

• 4 weeks later...