How Happy Are You With Paul LaPolice

BigBlue

Rate your SATISFACTION with our Coordinator  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How satisfied are you with what LAPO is doing?

• Very happy
    • Usually pleased
    • Somewhat satisfied
    • Unhappy
    • Extremely displeased
    • Other

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/07/17/need-know-july-17/

Paul LaPolice won’t spend too much time second-guessing his play calls, but he has been re-living the club’s short yardage inadequacies from last Saturday. The Bombers were stuffed on a pair of possessions that cost the club a minimum of six points, likely more.

“I do kick myself that one of those two calls at the goal line should have given Andrew (Harris) an opportunity,” he said. “I could have done a better job there. And then at the end of the game we went with a wider wedge that we had seen on film that they didn’t handle well once. We had a change up to it… it didn’t work in our favour. We’ve got to get better and I’ll certainly get better at that.

“I talked to (Harris) yesterday and said, ‘You know what? I can give you one of those two carries, depending on where we are. One of them was at the three-yard line… at the three-yard line I should have gotten you one of those two touches.’

Asked if he might have been inclined to take the two field goals instead, he added:

“We had a second and two in the game where we had a play we wanted to do where we took a shot downfield and we hit it for a (long) gain,” said LaPolice. “If you don’t get that, people are saying, ‘Why aren’t you giving Andrew the ball on second and two?’ In hindsight, you can do all those things. That’s what we decided to do and whatever the coach decides we’ll go ahead and do. We’ve got to be better to win the football game. We weren’t good enough offensively to win the football game. We did a lot of good things, but we can’t turn the ball over like we did and make mistakes like we did.”

I feel like he is the least consistent CO in the league. He will have a brilliant half or game and follow it up by forgetting about harris for an extended period, or a chain of trick plays in a poor position, and ive never liked his red zone play calls. And he never makes good use of DIs. That said as a coach I think he is very good. And he does improve each year. 

Personally im not married to any of our ast coaches. If we had the option of hiring some one better id jump at it. I dont think we will just stumble into a guy that can replace plop though. Not like hall. 

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If lapo would quit trying to out fox the other team he'd be a lot better. He needs to get out of his own way at times and rather than  trying to adjust before the other team stops you adjust after they actually stop it. A lot of times he does the opposing dcoordinator a favour.

His problem is the opposite.  Lapo is a gameplanner.  If his plan succeeds he looks like a genius, but he really struggles to move off the plan he's made and the plays he's installed that week.

The best offense he coached was in Saskatchewan when Grandpa Miller could give him a kick in the ass and oversee his playcalling.  Without that he's been extremely inconsistent right back to the minute he walked into Canada in 2002.

Lapo is a C+ coordinator who can be an A+ and an F in the same game.

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

His problem is the opposite.  Lapo is a gameplanner.  If his plan succeeds he looks like a genius, but he really struggles to move off the plan he's made and the plays he's installed that week.

The best offense he coached was in Saskatchewan when Grandpa Miller could give him a kick in the ass and oversee his playcalling.  Without that he's been extremely inconsistent right back to the minute he walked into Canada in 2002.

That's how I see it. Guy can run hot and cold in the same quarter. Just not consistent from game to game - season to season etc.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I agree with this but to me he also has the tendency to switch it up to try and catch the other guys off guard when he could probably stand do to more of what already worked.

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I agree with this but to me he also has the tendency to switch it up to try and catch the other guys off guard when he could probably stand do to more of what already worked.

Yep, but he has those plays ready and scripted no matter what, he's not adjusting.  He'd be adjusting if he stuck with what worked.  He's going to run the plays he's scripted no matter what.  Like a double reverse off a wildcat formation to Simonise when he's up 17-0 on 1st and 10.  Why run that there?  That's a play you run when you're down 17-0.  Huge risk of a turnover.

And yet, we have won something like 25 games with him as OC in 16 & 17 & Matt Nichols has had two very, very good seasons as his qb.  We were the highest scoring offense last season. He had a bad game on Saturday but I think it's way too early to think he needs replacing.  Personally, I think talk like that is crazy.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And yet, we have won something like 25 games with him as OC in 16 & 17 & Matt Nichols has had two very, very good seasons as his qb.  We were the highest scoring offense last season. He had a bad game on Saturday but I think it's way too early to think he needs replacing.  Personally, I think talk like that is crazy.

So much this. The fact this thread is even here is a testament to how impatient our own fan base is. We're 2-3 people - one game under .500 - not only that - two of those losses came with our rookie Streveler at the helm, and the home opener against Edmonton was a very winnable game, against Reilly no less.

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

So much this. The fact this thread is even here is a testament to how impatient our own fan base is. We're 2-3 people - one game under .500 - not only that - two of those losses came with our rookie Streveler at the helm, and the home opener against Edmonton was a very winnable game, against Reilly no less.

Just look at the source of this thread. That's all you need to know. 

All games are winnable when you step onto the field. The BC game was winnable up until the final play. I'm not interested in winnable games. I'm interested in wins, because wins are what counts, not just giving it a good try.

As for PLAP, cuz that's what this thread is about, he's inconsistent. Great sometimes. Too conservative others. Tries too hard to be the smartest guy in the stadium and goes away from what is working. We are better with him than without him. I expect he gets a couple of HC calls in the offseason,

my only issue is I wish he just sticks to what's working until it doesn't anymore and then deviate from the gameplan/script.

He tends to have a gamelan in mind and too many times he starts to use his other "ideas" he had going in even tho the original stuff is working..and we stall and 9 times out of ten fall behind. By that time he does go back to whats working, but usually by then it's too late, or we are attempting another improbable comeback.

Don't try to look like  the evil genius..until you need to. That's his major fault, along with his reluctance to stretch a field and make a defense work/think. The safe ball control works to a point, but when it's all you do with little to no threat of having DB's or linebackers play off, or soften their zones...well we've seen the results. As a defensive player...we always were licking our chops knowing that if basically if we keep everything in front of us we will have a hayday flying downhill and basically wearing an offence down...and yes...you can wear one down...no receiver likes to be pounded play after play when everything is kept within  the hashes and only 15 yards past the LOS...especially when we employ a cast of smurfs, and lean lanky guys.

That's why I think having a game sitting a Dressler (for perseverance) and rostering  Washington and a Tompkins if we could to create a physical corp who can and will stretch a field and make life more difficult for defenses and wear them down. A game of trying to deal with a tackling bigger bodied guys like along with Harris  as opposed to dealing with Dressler's would do wonders out there

45 minutes ago, shadybob said:

he has a tendency to out-think himself sometimes (ex. the goal line stand in BC), but overall I'd say Im happy with him. Also, if no more Demski sweeps were called the rest of the way, I'd be fine with that.

I agree. I liked getting him involved. But then it just seemed like they were forcing it even though it wasn't working all that well.

a bit off topic, but I thought in Nichols first game the O looked a bit lethargic initially, till Streveler went in, and really ignited things. Then when Nichols went back in the O was performing well.

I'd like to see them do that. If things aren't happening , put in Streveler for a few series. 

Streveler  fires up the team.

Edited by Mark F