Dave Wheeler fired from 92

There are two sides to this argument.  The people that understand why CITI took this action and people who should think before they post on social media.  Im surprised by how many I am acquainted with who simply dont get it (either from a business perspective or a humanity one).

Its a good reminder that freedom of expression is not freedom from consequence.

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Someone posted that same quote on Reddit.

Maybe wheeler can take his show independent, that way you can mostly have the freedom to say whatever you want.

He does have a podcast.  I heard (but did not see), that Wheeler's twitter bio read something like "CITI will probably fire me so make sure you follow my podcast".

But true, he can say whatever he wants and whatever audience he can draw that likes bigoted trash wrapped up like jokes can listen til their heart's content. lol  For his sake, hopefully they are willing to pay for the privilege!

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There are two sides to this argument.  The people that understand why CITI took this action and people who should think before they post on social media.  Im surprised by how many I am acquainted with who simply dont get it (either from a business perspective or a humanity one).

Spot on. He really crapped the bed on Monday and could've easily avoided all of this by just not saying what he did.

What surprises me most is that he seemingly hasn't learned that when you say things like this there's going to be backlash. It's just a lack of intelligence at the end of the day. Both because of his thoughts on the subject but also because of how he went about expressing his opinion. Unless he wanted to get fired then I suppose he played it right.

I'm not even in the public eye and I watch what I say on social media sometimes cause some tool will take it out of context or it won't come across as polite as it would had i spoke. My company has a social media clause in the contracts now, and anything I say/share on there that can be seen as offensive can potentially get me fired. So guess what? I don't post about it, whether it's for proper rights/representation of certain groups or politics or just trolling some bigot. I just don't do it. It's not worth my career and will likely create nothing but negativity at the end of the day.

His platform, his replies to DMs and his history of making stupid comments show me that he just isn't a very smart man. Smart boy, sure. Man....not quite. There's a lot of 30+ year old boys running around out there calling themselves men.

Edited by Bigblue204

14 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

What surprises me most is that he seemingly hasn't learned that when you say things like this there's going to be backlash. It's just a lack of intelligence at the end of the day. Both because of his thoughts on the subject but also because of how he went about expressing his opinion. Unless he wanted to get fired then I suppose he played it right.

I'm not even in the public eye and I watch what I say on social media sometimes cause some tool will take it out of context or it won't come across as polite as it would had i spoke. My company has a social media clause in the contracts now, and anything I say/share on there that can be seen as offensive can potentially get me fired. So guess what? I don't post about it, whether it's for proper rights/representation of certain groups or politics or just trolling some bigot. I just don't do it. It's not worth my career and will likely create nothing but negativity at the end of the day.

His platform, his replies to DMs and his history of making stupid comments show me that he just isn't a very smart man. Smart boy, sure. Man....not quite. There's a lot of 30+ year old boys running around out there calling themselves men.

Well said.  CITI said they spoke to him multiple times over multiple disciplinary issues.  He made it a very easy decision for his management.

He seems very close-minded as well.  He has an opinion, which he's entitled to, but common sense tells us its offensive and hurtful and wont fly today and certainly wont fly in any respectful workplace.  The fact he can't seem to comprehend the other side of the issue is sad for him.  Hopefully he takes this as a wake up call and maybe seeks some educational opportunities and/or counseling. 

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yes, I also watch what I say on social media.  It's not worth it. 

10 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

eh he has been in trouble with them a few times and in part I feel like citi got him to dig them out of a whole with out the desire to have him or the nature of his shtick. Not personally a fan of his. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes, I also watch what I say on social media.  It's not worth it. 

This. Every week i hear about an athlete who has had some idiotic teen age era social media stuff dug up and is being buried. 

The opinions he has on the subject isnt some thing that can be discussed openly in media of any sort today. Not saying it should or that i agree with him, but if you hold such a polarizing opinion on such a volatile topic be it a stupid opinion or not you need to be smart enough not to talk about it. 

As an aside, I hope this one way or another leads to an end of the stale mate that exists in the 90s frequency of radio in manitoba. Its all soo bland and similar its just awful. 

13 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The opinions he has on the subject isn't some thing that can be discussed openly in media of any sort today. Not saying it should or that i agree with him, but if you hold such a polarizing opinion on such a volatile topic be it a stupid opinion or not you need to be smart enough not to talk about it. 

I think you're bang on... he can have whatever opinion he wants... he can (and probably should for the sake of his show) share a watered down version of his opinions publicly... but I would think he would be smarter than to take such a strong opinion, publicly, on on a controversial subject... especially when he's on strike 3 or 4 by now....  

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I think you're bang on... he can have whatever opinion he wants... he can (and probably should for the sake of his show) share a watered down version of his opinions publicly... but I would think he would be smarter than to take such a strong opinion, publicly, on on a controversial subject... especially when he's on strike 3 or 4 by now....  

Yeah, that's the thing. If he hadn't ever been in trouble before, this probably wouldn't have been enough to fire him.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

He could easily have taken the position that Scarlett Johannson would likely do a great job with the role (there are even several lame "shock jock" type jokes he could make about it) without going into an offensive and idiotic attack on trans people.  He did it to get a reaction.  He succeeded. 

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

He could have a problem with certain customers...

Im not sure I could tell you what he looks like lol maybe most customers wouldnt recognize him. 

Just my opinion but I generally hate to see anyone fired.  Im not sure it makes anything better in this case but of course, it demanded consequences.  Had he been a model employee, Rogers might have stood by him.  What I hope happens is, Wheeler doesnt feel like he was victimized and digs in.  Hopefully he gives some great thought to how he really feels about Trans people and the gay community and even if his deep-seeded opinion doesnt change, that he recognized how words can hurt, especially when someone has the power, like he did, to really speak so loudly.

32 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Just my opinion but I generally hate to see anyone fired.  Im not sure it makes anything better in this case but of course, it demanded consequences.  Had he been a model employee, Rogers might have stood by him.  What I hope happens is, Wheeler doesnt feel like he was victimized and digs in.  Hopefully he gives some great thought to how he really feels about Trans people and the gay community and even if his deep-seeded opinion doesnt change, that he recognized how words can hurt, especially when someone has the power, like he did, to really speak so loudly.

This is what I struggle with in these situations as well. Not so much with this specific case. But the one that comes to mind is that Racist Lawyer in NY. He was caught and called out as a racist. Which is good on the surface. But as a result, his entire life was over turned and essentially destroyed. And it's not that I think he didn't deserve that. Racism is 100% based in hate and is completely stupid. BUT.....I'm not convinced that due to what happened to him, he has come to realize he was in fact wrong. I would bet that he has become more entrenched in his beliefs that immigrants are ruining america. So how has all this helped?

I mean on one hand, he's no longer in a position of power. Which is good. But how many people will he tell about his "victimization" to convert them to his beliefs? Basically what I'm saying is, it's not enough to just get these people out of their jobs/ridicule them for being that dumb. There has to be some kind of follow up to make sure they understand why those things happened to them and why their beliefs are A)Dumb and B)Dangerous. Maybe that is happening, but it sure doesn't become known.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

This is what I struggle with in these situations as well. Not so much with this specific case. But the one that comes to mind is that Racist Lawyer in NY. He was caught and called out as a racist. Which is good on the surface. But as a result, his entire life was over turned and essentially destroyed. And it's not that I think he didn't deserve that. Racism is 100% based in hate and is completely stupid. BUT.....I'm not convinced that due to what happened to him, he has come to realize he was in fact wrong. I would bet that he has become more entrenched in his beliefs that immigrants are ruining america. So how has all this helped?

I mean on one hand, he's no longer in a position of power. Which is good. But how many people will he tell about his "victimization" to convert them to his beliefs? Basically what I'm saying is, it's not enough to just get these people out of their jobs/ridicule them for being that dumb. There has to be some kind of follow up to make sure they understand why those things happened to them and why their beliefs are A)Dumb and B)Dangerous. Maybe that is happening, but it sure doesn't become known.

When people get fired their former employer won't pay for anger management or sensitivity training. Why should they? If Wheeler is a racist or intolerant & he won't change then anything else that happens to him, is on HIM.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When people get fired their former employer won't pay for anger management or sensitivity training. Why should they? If Wheeler is a racist or intolerant & he won't change then anything else that happens to him, is on HIM.

I agree. I don't think it would make sense. I don't know who should pay or how the training/education/medical help should happen. I'm just saying, simply getting people fired likely won't be enough to make them understand their beliefs are wrong/dangerous etc etc. So basically nothing changes except their platform...which is good. But probably not good enough.

If there is value in keeping the employee then the workplace may have a moral duty to provide sensitivity training.  Or at least it would be very kind of them. 

It as Wheeler has worn out his welcome they didn’t consider him valuable enough.  But I do hope they considered bringing in Rainbow Resource to speak with the rest of the employees.  I’m sure there are some very close to wheeler that may have conflicted feelings and getting some insight could help them (and the company)

29 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I agree. I don't think it would make sense. I don't know who should pay or how the training/education/medical help should happen. I'm just saying, simply getting people fired likely won't be enough to make them understand their beliefs are wrong/dangerous etc etc. So basically nothing changes except their platform...which is good. But probably not good enough.

As you say.  Wheeler needs to realize that maybe he needs to take responsibility for his actions & do it himself. Again, it's up to him to change. Ultimately it's his on him.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not sure I could tell you what he looks like lol maybe most customers wouldnt recognize him. 

His picture was in the article.  He used to do stuff with kids at Manitoba Moose games.  He could have a hard time staying in Winnipeg. 

11 hours ago, Mark H. said:

His picture was in the article.  He used to do stuff with kids at Manitoba Moose games.  He could have a hard time staying in Winnipeg. 

Sadly, there are many in Winnipeg who applaud him.

I dont recall the last radio ratings but when I used to listen to morning radio it was always Ace.  Always a "feel good" show, not lame shock jock stuff.

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Sadly, there are many in Winnipeg who applaud him.

I dont recall the last radio ratings but when I used to listen to morning radio it was always Ace.  Always a "feel good" show, not lame shock jock stuff.

ah yes back when 103 was tolerable, but then again I prefer mostly lite music so when was 103 ever tolerable?