Battle of Underperformers: Blue vs Double Blue in Doubleheader

BigBlue

Trestman vs MOS... Franklin vs Nichols ... Wilder vs Harris ... Green vs Adams ... Heath vs Leggett ...  Laing vs Johnson ...  Ball vs Bighill ... Van Zeyl vs Bryant ... Pfeffer vs Medlock

A couple of well coached underperformers: will we split the home and home again?

What will it take to sweep both?

16 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Argos have a better defense than we do and we have a better offense (At least in the first half of games). Strength against strength. 

Argos have a fair offense and we have a fair defense. Weakness against weakness.

I expect a split on these back to back games.

that's how I see it too. Both teams win at home and we stand at 3-4. The next two games after that will be interesting both Hamilton and Ottawa come to our house. We might then be able to get above 500 before we go into Calgary last week in August and get clobbered.

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

O’Shea is a flawed head coach. He is not a bad head coach. 

He was rushed.  He'd be a good coordinator for the D. But big picture stuff and strategy and adjustments seem to still allude him. We can only hope he learns from his mistakes (that he keeps making btw) because he's definitely here for the whole season. Even if we miss the playoffs I doubt he gets canned. 

28 minutes ago, White Out said:

He was rushed.  He'd be a good coordinator for the D. But big picture stuff and strategy and adjustments seem to still allude him. We can only hope he learns from his mistakes (that he keeps making btw) because he's definitely here for the whole season. Even if we miss the playoffs I doubt he gets canned. 

1. Ehhh, I'm really not much of a believer in that because if he was, you'd figure this defense would get fixed already and he'd do what Chamblin did in 2013 taking over the play calling completely.  He played defense but he doesn't seem to have the gift of drawing up plays or schemes for them.

2. I know he's survived before in 2014 and 2015, but I gotta think this year if he did miss the playoffs he'd either get fired or be on borrowed time next year.  I mean, we seriously have too much talent at this point not to make the playoffs, plus behind Calgary 2nd and third place are wide open in the West and there's no reason our guys shouldn't take one of those esp with both SSK and EDM in the tank.

MOS is safe to a certain point, but he certainly doesn't have a coaching job for life.

I'll certainly say that I believe he's good as a player's coach, but his in-game decisions, strategy and management have a lot to be desired.

24 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

1. Ehhh, I'm really not much of a believer in that because if he was, you'd figure this defense would get fixed already and he'd do what Chamblin did in 2013 taking over the play calling completely.  He played defense but he doesn't seem to have the gift of drawing up plays or schemes for them.

Yeah, I mean, he still has his clever moments with creative plays and have his moments. Don't let me try and convince you too hard though I don't think he's a good head coach so yeah.

2. I know he's survived before in 2014 and 2015, but I gotta think this year if he did miss the playoffs he'd either get fired or be on borrowed time next year.  I mean, we seriously have too much talent at this point not to make the playoffs, plus behind Calgary 2nd and third place are wide open in the West and there's no reason our guys shouldn't take one of those esp with both SSK and EDM in the tank.

MOS is safe to a certain point, but he certainly doesn't have a coaching job for life.

I imagine that if we miss the playoffs narrowly by 2 or 3 points he will be back on a short leash. If we are about to go into free fall and finish in the basement then the board may have no choice but to force Walters to make the change.

30 points in week 1, 56 in week 2, 17 in week 3, 41 in week 4, 17 in week 5. Clearly we are about to put up a huge score on toronto to win the first game, then 17 points in the second game...

I do expect the offense to bounce back to more normal out put. 30+. Which put you in contention to win the game. We only gave up 1 more point to bc then we did vs jennings. Less then 3 majors in both games. And we out played them to a similar level for a half and change. We just failed to convert and tossed the game away at every chance. I do not expect the same this week back at home. 

The argos D is stingy (cept against the stamps) But if we put up 30+ i have a hard time seeing them keeping pace. Even more then 21-24. I worry about wilder and jackson though. We still dont tackle well and wilder is a big back. Jackson is fast and elusive too.

The way harris is running and how well the OL played against the leos we need to be looking at 20 carries on the ground for harris. Pound the rock. Nichols has to shake off the rust and come back to normal from probably his worst game as a bomber. But he is almost certain to return to the median. If he plays any thing like last week against the argos its gonna be a long night. 

As much as our defense has been a talking point and area of concern - we might be okay here. They've done well against less experienced (or damaged) QBs in Willy and Jennings, but got picked apart against frankly better QBs (Reilly, Lulay and Masoli). If we can keep Franklin off his game, or somehow manage to turn it into an offensive shootout - I think we'll be fine.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Franklin ought to be treated with the same respect given to veteran QB's or the defence will be even more holey than it has been,

Guess I should clarify - it's not the I think Franklin is a bad QB - just that his inexperience might be beneficial to us. I agree though that we definitely should not underestimate him.

I think they're in for another tough game Saturday afternoon.... if LaPo doesn't call a balanced game, and whoever said it prior, get Harris 20 touches, we're going to be in trouble.   Nichols won't put up much more than 220 yds, which will be adequate if Harris can put up 100+ and we get a few FGs from Medlock.    When Nichols struggled last year, the kicking game bailed the team out.

If it's really stale.... can't be scared to change things up and put Streveler in for a different look.  We've seen that he can spark the offence.  If we're just going to use him in short yardage, they could have just kept LeFevour.

12 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

I think they're in for another tough game Saturday afternoon.... if LaPo doesn't call a balanced game, and whoever said it prior, get Harris 20 touches, we're going to be in trouble.   Nichols won't put up much more than 220 yds, which will be adequate if Harris can put up 100+ and we get a few FGs from Medlock.    When Nichols struggled last year, the kicking game bailed the team out.

If it's really stale.... can't be scared to change things up and put Streveler in for a different look.  We've seen that he can spark the offence.  If we're just going to use him in short yardage, they could have just kept LeFevour.

I watched Argos vs. Esks on YouTube last night. That Argos D played very well. Good coverage, some hits on Reilly, turnovers, and several procedure and holding penalties on the Esks OL. 

Suffice to say, the Bombers will need all of the above to beat them. 

27 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I watched Argos vs. Esks on YouTube last night. That Argos D played very well. Good coverage, some hits on Reilly, turnovers, and several procedure and holding penalties on the Esks OL. 

Suffice to say, the Bombers will need all of the above to beat them. 

I call bull ****- Eskies Oline never hold. 

18 hours ago, Tracker said:

Franklin ought to be treated with the same respect given to veteran QB's or the defence will be even more holey than it has been,

Respect every one, fear no one. Any time you face a young qb you need to be aware how they can hurt you and respect that. At the same time pressure him till he proves he can handle it. 

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Oh hell no - it’s more like a neck cuddle 

Holding is always a befuddling call. I feel like in general the times its called are often border line while constantly horrible holds go un called. Id love for the league to take a good long hard look at holding in the off season. Its kind of like the charge call in basketball. its never gonna be perfect. But we need to do some thing to make it better. 

58 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Holding is always a befuddling call. I feel like in general the times its called are often border line while constantly horrible holds go un called. Id love for the league to take a good long hard look at holding in the off season. Its kind of like the charge call in basketball. its never gonna be perfect. But we need to do some thing to make it better. 

I pay particular attention to OL play, both during live games and also while rewatching televised games. I do not recall seeing Travis Bond do the kind of holding he did in that game while he was here. Literally grabbing guys around the shoulders with both hands. It’s odd, because a guard of his caliber should not be overmatched. 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

I pay particular attention to OL play, both during live games and also while rewatching games. I do not recall seeing Travis Bond do the kind of holding he did in that game while he was here. Literally grabbing guys around the shoulders with both hands. 

If he actually did let him self go to an extensive degree as the riders claimed, i could see that being the cause of him resorting to that. Here, he was a bulldozer. Though normally hands out side the shoulders is more of a tackle issue trying to deal with speed around the edge. 

21 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I pay particular attention to OL play, both during live games and also while rewatching televised games. I do not recall seeing Travis Bond do the kind of holding he did in that game while he was here. Literally grabbing guys around the shoulders with both hands. It’s odd, because a guard of his caliber should not be overmatched. 

I agree. I watched him too as I had some sad feelings when he left the Bombers. He did not look like the same player he was here. 

I would like to see less trick plays and more smash mouth football ... as in the running game set up the passing game ... we seen to be too far away from the basics ... we have the best running  back since Charles Roberts + a good oline + receivers who can block ... is this lapo or mos that is taking us away from the fundamentals?