Game Day Thread- Week Five: Winnipeg @ BC July 14, 2018

3 hours ago, AKAChip said:

And Burnham wouldn’t have even been in a position to make that catch if not for an objectively terrible RTP call that would have held them to a field goal attempt. Too many what if situations in football to use arguments like that. 

To flog a deceased equine, the loss had two prominent features: the offensive performance was atypically way below what we have come to expect, and the defensive implosion was, alas, what we have come to expect since Hall's arrival. We can reasonably expect better things from Nichols and the offence, but I have no confidence in the defence any more.

2 hours ago, AKAChip said:

And Burnham wouldn’t have even been in a position to make that catch if not for an objectively terrible RTP call that would have held them to a field goal attempt. Too many what if situations in football to use arguments like that. 

Didn't Leggett pick that ball off? 

20 hours ago, Mark H. said:

“I would make that throw 10 times out of 10. I hit Demski on the numbers, the DB just got his arm in there.”

- Matt Nicholls

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/07/15/bombers-ready-move-meltdown-bc/

That was a good throw. Demski needs to catch that ball.

Best hit of the night? Brian Bennett on special teams..

The Bombers are a 4-1 team in a 2-3 record. The only game we should have lost was against Hamilton, who completely out-coached, and out-played us..

Edmonton, (Reilly) beat our defence, and it wasn’t the first time.

BC defeated the Bombers but they needed a LOT of help. Timely drops, lack of execution, questionable play calling, turnovers, some ragged penalty calling, and poor punts at the wrong time. 

BC only made a couple of plays on us, but that’s all they needed, we helped them the rest of the way.

Catch of the night - Darvin Adams sideline grab. 

Drop of the night - Darvin Adams..with 1 man to beat.

Goal line stand by BC...shouldn’t have happened.

By the way, that horse collar tackle on Jeffcoat does not meet the intent of the rule in my opinion. I was at the game, it happened right on our sight line. Jeffcoat had Rainey stopped..dead. He tackled Rainey across his own body. Rainey was not going anywhere.. he grabbed Rainey more on the side of his uni, up high, but there was no neck or head snap. A very questionable call. I wouldn’t chastise Jeffcoat at all on that play as Rainey, of course, tried to avoid the tackle and turned away from him. (5:13 mark - 3rd quarter)

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Best hit of the night? Brian Bennett on special teams..

The Bombers are a 4-1 team in a 2-3 record. The only game we should have lost was against Hamilton, who completely out-coached, and out-played us..

Edmonton, (Reilly) beat our defence, and it wasn’t the first time.

BC defeated the Bombers but they needed a LOT of help. Timely drops, lack of execution, questionable play calling, turnovers, some ragged penalty calling, and poor punts at the wrong time. 

BC only made a couple of plays on us, but that’s all they needed, we helped them the rest of the way.

Catch of the night - Darvin Adams sideline grab. 

Drop of the night - Darvin Adams..with 1 man to beat.

Goal line stand by BC...shouldn’t have happened.

By the way, that horse collar tackle on Jeffcoat does not meet the intent of the rule in my opinion. I was at the game, it happened right on our sight line. Jeffcoat had Rainey stopped..dead. He tackled Rainey across his own body. Rainey was not going anywhere.. he grabbed Rainey more on the side of his uni, up high, but there was no neck or head snap. A very questionable call. I wouldn’t chastise Jeffcoat at all on that play as Rainey, of course, tried to avoid the tackle and turned away from him. (5:13 mark - 3rd quarter)

I cannot disagree with much of what you say, but the Bombers were schooled on Saturday night. Most of us had written Wally and the Lions off after the first half but that came back to bite us big time. The Lions made half-time adjustments and the Bomber coaches once again could or did not. "You are what your record says you are."

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

I cannot disagree with much of what you say, but the Bombers were schooled on Saturday night. Most of us had written Wally and the Lions off after the first half but that came back to bite us big time. The Lions made half-time adjustments and the Bomber coaches once again could or did not. "You are what your record says you are."

Agreed. This is a 2-3 team not a 4-1 team. Record reflects exactly what this team is at this point.

However, improvement is always possible.

In as much as the offence has a real limitation in going more than 10 yards down field at a time, they are still better than how they played on Sat. Similar to how the defense was after getting cranked by Hamilton, they will rebound against Toronto, but the only thing is, Toronto has a great defense, so it could still be a tough one to win.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

BC had done no schooling on us on Saturday. It was mostly self-inflicted.

Proof?

3rd & 4th quarters

1st possession - Bomber 51 - stopped at the BC 2 yd line..turn over on downs

2nd possession - 2 and out

3rd possession - interception

4th possession - turn over on downs at the BC 7 yard line

5th possession - 2 and out...punt 29 yards, penalty 5 yards for no yards

6th possession - interception

Throw in 3 RTP penalties ??? In those 2 quarters, and you have your BC offence.

I didn’t see anything brilliant in BC’s adjustments, nor do I fault the defence, but I definitely see how we gave that game away..

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

BC had done no schooling on us on Saturday. It was mostly self-inflicted.

Proof?

3rd & 4th quarters

1st possession - Bomber 51 - stopped at the BC 2 yd line..turn over on downs

2nd possession - 2 and out

3rd possession - interception

4th possession - turn over on downs at the BC 7 yard line

5th possession - 2 and out...punt 29 yards, penalty 5 yards for no yards

6th possession - interception

Throw in 3 RTP penalties ??? In those 2 quarters, and you have your BC offence.

I didn’t see anything brilliant in BC’s adjustments, nor do I fault the defence, but I definitely see how we gave that game away..

The Lions stifled the Bomber offence in the second half by taking away Adams and Harris and that gave Lulay multiple chances to get his game untracked- then the Bomber defence folded.

10 hours ago, Tracker said:

The Lions stifled the Bomber offence in the second half by taking away Adams and Harris and that gave Lulay multiple chances to get his game untracked- then the Bomber defence folded.

Did they take away Harris?  Or did LaPo overthink things after halftime?  I feel like Harris only had a few carries in the 2nd half... I haven't looked up the stats, but it seemed like a guy averaging over 10 yards a carry, should have been given the ball more often.

11 hours ago, DanoT said:

In the end, O'Shea's 2 time refusal to settle for easy FGs and to gamble on 3rd down is what gifted the game to the Lions. O'Shea out coached Wally and then out smarted himself by being an overconfident gambler.

No way, going for it was the right thing to do- the execution however... well we saw what happened. 

11 hours ago, Tracker said:

We helped take away Harris.   Also didn't spread the ball around, the way we usually do.  

3 hours ago, BomberBall said:

Did they take away Harris?  Or did LaPo overthink things after halftime?  I feel like Harris only had a few carries in the 2nd half... I haven't looked up the stats, but it seemed like a guy averaging over 10 yards a carry, should have been given the ball more often.

I don't have the benefit of a recorded game to assess, but as I was watching the game, it looked to me that the Lions were stacking the box to take away the run. Could the fact that the Bombers stopped running indicate lack of confidence in their run blocking? I recall thinking that they were not using Harris as a receiver and wondering why.

21 hours ago, Tracker said:

I don't have the benefit of a recorded game to assess, but as I was watching the game, it looked to me that the Lions were stacking the box to take away the run. Could the fact that the Bombers stopped running indicate lack of confidence in their run blocking? I recall thinking that they were not using Harris as a receiver and wondering why.

There just so many guys having a bad game. Even Hardrick got beaten badly a few times. 

On 2018-07-17 at 9:07 AM, TBURGESS said:

Wally made some dumb coaching decisions too. Challenging a 10 yard play. Not calling time out on the 1 with 17 seconds in the half cost BC another play at the end of the half. 

His challenges in both games were bizarre. Complete wastes, even if they were over turned.