Game Day Thread- Week Five: Winnipeg @ BC July 14, 2018

Funny thing is, I remember thinking about how everyone was concerned we would lose to Lulay and the lions and I thought everyone was out to lunch. I was about to post about it when we were up 17-0 and thought, oh nobody would believe me now. My credibility is gone by posting up 17-0.

little did I know .. forgot the bombers are the leafs of the cfl for a second 

That was the worst half of football I have seen Nichols play since he got here. He looked solid if not spectacular in the first half but he looked like he was drugged in the second half. I don't know what Bowman is getting paid, but its way too much. Either he cannot get open or he is not trying. I was pleasantly surprised at the tight, aggressive play of the defence in the first half, but in the second half it was the same old, same old. To me it is looking more and more like O'Shea is still reluctant to force the changes needed to challenge for the Cup- bench whoever is not producing and fire Hall if that is required. The team needs to be sent a message.

29 minutes ago, dd2 said:

Demski makes the catch in the late 4th quarter  vs pop it up for an easy pick we win that game . Receivers have got to catch the ball when it's thrown too then. Too many drops by all last night

I don't think Demski had a reasonable chance of hanging onto that ball, the BC defender arrives at the same moment as the ball with force.

5:35 of the following video, you can slow it down to .25 speed it's still inconclusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfmUfLcE6NQ

50 minutes ago, dd2 said:

Demski makes the catch in the late 4th quarter  vs pop it up for an easy pick we win that game . Receivers have got to catch the ball when it's thrown too then. Too many drops by all last night

the db was right on top of him as the ball was coming in. Not pi, but also not an automatic catch by any means. that was a heavily forced pass. The real blame goes to plop on that one though. With such a gigantic field, why do we have all ours wrs with in like 10 yards of the same spot? just makes it easy to cover...

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

the db was right on top of him as the ball was coming in. Not pi, but also not an automatic catch by any means. that was a heavily forced pass. The real blame goes to plop on that one though. With such a gigantic field, why do we have all ours wrs with in like 10 yards of the same spot? just makes it easy to cover...

Adams was down on the turf...which didn't help...but there should not have been two receivers that close, and that was not a ball that should have been thrown by Nichols

57 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I don't think Demski had a reasonable chance of hanging onto that ball, the BC defender arrives at the same moment as the ball with force.

5:35 of the following video, you can slow it down to .25 speed it's still inconclusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfmUfLcE6NQ

BC tying score is at 5:05.  is classic Bomber D.

ball at the 14, receiver makes the catch at the 7 , then three defenders whiff on tackles as he scores. 

Bomber defence is not good at holding on to a lead at the end of games.

Edited by Mark F

Wow, I had to leave after the first half...  did not expect this...

Even with the bogus call on Wild, that first half ended with the bombers with a huge stop

Another game where Hall can't make adjustments...  still can't cover the flats ???

Lapo outthinking himself...  take the 3 points 

Getting beyond the atrocious play of the O, in the 2nd half.....,.bottom line is that this D has never been able to close out games.  Didn't stop the Esks down the stretch..... and couldn't do it again, covering and tackling last nite.  2 losses, where just a stop or two, would of been 2 wins.  Same ole tired movie

47 minutes ago, Mark F said:

BC tying score is at 5:05.  is classic Bomber D.

ball at the 14, receiver makes the catch at the 7 , then three defenders whiff on tackles as he scores. 

Bomber defence is not good at holding on to a lead at the end of games.

Yah, that was less than good, from what I could tell it involved JSK, Randle and Sayles.

So 24 hours later and my crushed heart after the Croatia game seems to know no rock bottom.

In perspective the loss on Saturday isn't a big deal. But narrowed down a little it certainly is another log on the fire of Bomber fan misery. You just can't convince me this defense will be able to win a couple playoff games. At this point that's all I care about it: win a god damn Grey Cup. There's no reason why this bunch should be so bad and not be able to hang on to W's. Bighill must be apoplectic. 

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Ugh Harris wide wide open in the flats on that Demski interception...  bombers just needed to eat up the clock

Buck needed to calm Nichols down in the second half

Lapo needed step back from 'Genius mode'

“I would make that throw 10 times out of 10. I hit Demski on the numbers, the DB just got his arm in there.”

- Matt Nicholls

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/07/15/bombers-ready-move-meltdown-bc/

17 hours ago, BigBlue said:

There is no doubt in my mind, this loss is squarely on Michael O'Shea's shoulders

Kick a field goal instead of gambling .... then kick another field goal instead of gambling

Then very late in the game with the ball near centerfield and the game tied: forget to run Andrew Harris on first down

Horrible game management and don't you dare blame a coordinator .... O Shea has a gambling problem

You actually have an opinion.  Instead of asking everyone first. #stickyourneckout 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

“I would make that throw 10 times out of 10. I hit Demski on the numbers, the DB just got his arm in there.”

- Matt Nicholls

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/07/15/bombers-ready-move-meltdown-bc/

I loved the headline, "Bombers Ready To Move on.." What would their alternative have been? Curl into "feeble positions" and weep profusely?

17 hours ago, White Out said:

So 24 hours later and my crushed heart after the Croatia game seems to know no rock bottom.

In perspective the loss on Saturday isn't a big deal. But narrowed down a little it certainly is another log on the fire of Bomber fan misery. You just can't convince me this defense will be able to win a couple playoff games. At this point that's all I care about it: win a god damn Grey Cup. There's no reason why this bunch should be so bad and not be able to hang on to W's. Bighill must be apoplectic. 

Allowing 20 points in a game in the CFL is not a bad performance. Say what you want about the defense's play in previous games but saying they were the problem this weekend is deflecting to an insane level. On the game winning drive, BC needed one first down to kill the clock to get a game winning field goal thanks to a moronic series by Nichols. What was the defense supposed to do?

21 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Allowing 20 points in a game in the CFL is not a bad performance. Say what you want about the defense's play in previous games but saying they were the problem this weekend is deflecting to an insane level. On the game winning drive, BC needed one first down to kill the clock to get a game winning field goal thanks to a moronic series by Nichols. What was the defense supposed to do?

The 20 points allowed weren't just good defensive play. Lulay was rusty and missed open receivers several times. He also threw an Int that was 10-15 yards away from a wide open player in the endzone. Miss that throw by 5 yards and BC gets at least 3 more points and a good throw = 7 more. Burnham dropped a sure TD on the last play of the first half (Yes, it was also a good defensive play, but Burnham catches that ball 4 out of 5 times). 

25 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The 20 points allowed weren't just good defensive play. Lulay was rusty and missed open receivers several times. He also threw an Int that was 10-15 yards away from a wide open player in the endzone. Miss that throw by 5 yards and BC gets at least 3 more points and a good throw = 7 more. Burnham dropped a sure TD on the last play of the first half (Yes, it was also a good defensive play, but Burnham catches that ball 4 out of 5 times). 

And Burnham wouldn’t have even been in a position to make that catch if not for an objectively terrible RTP call that would have held them to a field goal attempt. Too many what if situations in football to use arguments like that.