Game Day Thread- Week Five: Winnipeg @ BC July 14, 2018

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

yes, unless its the grey cup. But its a good point. Elite franchises beat the teams they should beat. and they finish a shin kicking. We kicked the poop outta bc for a lot of this game and should have won by 30

Agreed. This team has been "good", and content with being "good" long enough. 11-7 and a first round playoff exit is getting a little old, and at this rate, 11-7 would take a miracle. This team isn't going 9-4 down the stretch. Not a chance.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Agreed. This team has been "good", and content with being "good" long enough. 11-7 and a first round playoff exit is getting a little old, and at this rate, 11-7 would take a miracle. This team isn't going 9-4 down the stretch. Not a chance.

I called this before the season started. 11-7 is not going to be possible and I will be surprised if they do better than .500.

All the other teams in the CFL have improved and Bombers are not keeping up - definitely regressing from last year or the year before.

The way the Bombers lost this one had me hopping mad in front of my dear old parents.  17-0 at the half should have been 27-0... and 34-7 if Streveler gets the 1st down when they were on the BC 7 yard line.

It was still 17-0 in the 3rd quarter when that sinking feeling just wouldn’t go away. No more run plays... just these god awful 3-5 yard passes into the flat for 2 and outs.  Felt like the refs sole mission was to drag Lulay kicking and screaming into a the 4th quarter still with a chance to make a comeback.  And then none of that mattered when the Jennings-Nichols Vulcan mind meld was completed.

To summarize, the Bombers second half was suckier than the Lions first half, so we lost.  This one made me angrier than when the Jets laid an egg in Game 3 against Minnesota this spring!

There is no doubt in my mind, this loss is squarely on Michael O'Shea's shoulders

Kick a field goal instead of gambling .... then kick another field goal instead of gambling

Then very late in the game with the ball near centerfield and the game tied: forget to run Andrew Harris on first down

Horrible game management and don't you dare blame a coordinator .... O Shea has a gambling problem

People really want a field goal on 3rd and a foot?  There’s no coach in Canada who kicks there.  The 3rd and goal from the 2 is a bit of a gamble, but it was a horrible play call running a search play right into a stack.  Probably should be running more option with Streveler and Harris/Demski and giving him pass options too.

Lapo made Streveler one-dimensional tonight and totally took away the reason he’s been successful.

13 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

People really want a field goal on 3rd and a foot?  There’s no coach in Canada who kicks there.  The 3rd and goal from the 2 is a bit of a gamble, but it was a horrible play call running a search play right into a stack.  Probably should be running more option with Streveler and Harris/Demski and giving him pass options too.

Lapo made Streveler one-dimensional tonight and totally took away the reason he’s been successful.

Play calling on the 3rd down conversions was terrible. The QB keeper around the end was used in the prior game vs BC and Lions were expecting it. Later, 3rd and goal from the 2, you ask the QB to run up the gut from the shotgun formation, c'mon. Even if your QB is built like a linebacker everyone knows it is a run. All the 3rd down conversions/gambles were a shambles. Too clever by half, as they say.

It takes some kind of awful to lose to that bad BC team, and make no mistake, they are a bad football team.

However, the Bombers haven't taken that next step of being able to beat up a team like BC on a regular basis.

Dumb and dumber just keep finding ways to hold them back. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He called plays for Strevelor like he was Dan Lefevour.

As bad as Nichols was, we win that game handily if Lapo doesn't crap the bed. To be a victim of coaching after three years with this staff is inexcusable.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yet he should kick it from 60 plus yards out?

Tbh with you I typically like going for it on 3rd and short too, but that one was definitely a big missed opportunity he'll be talking about for a while.

I'm not even a high school coach but I know that on 3rd and 2, kick the FG and on 3rd and inches, just fall forward up the gut. Simply taking the points when we have them would have won us the game. Gotta say this is the first time this year I've been pissed at a loss because this one shoulda coulda woulda been a win if we just took what was there.

Lapo has done this before.  In this case he wasn't out coached by the opposition d coordinator.  He was out coached by himself.  He over thinks the game and makes it more difficult than it needs to be.  There's a reason why the tried tested and true has worked for years.  But he thinks he's some offensive genius and he out thinks himself.

I'm a little surprised at the vitriol being directed at Nichols.  Yes he played poorly but a good OC would recognize that and adjust the play calling to play to what the offence is giving up, vs. playing a higher risk scheme.   I have no doubt that Nichols will bounce back. But Lapo needs work with what he's got.