Game Day Thread- Week Five: Winnipeg @ BC July 14, 2018

Just now, White Out said:

I'm just as disappointed as anybody, and that lost really stings. But I have to say I'm really turned off by how the knives are just flying for Nichols right now. It still amazes me that Drew Willy gets more slack even now than Nichols would yet. 

This team isn't going to win a playoff game with Streveler it has to be Nichols. Let's not get the lynch-mob just yet.

Agreed - I think it's just typical knee-jerk reaction. Thankfully, one game does not make a season. I think the reason Willy got so much slack when he was with us was because there was a much bigger drop-off in the backup QBs, whereas Streveler has shown much more promise - albeit with a much smaller sample size.

4 minutes ago, White Out said:

I'm just as disappointed as anybody, and that lost really stings. But I have to say I'm really turned off by how the knives are just flying for Nichols right now. It still amazes me that Drew Willy gets more slack even now than Nichols would get. 

This team isn't going to win a playoff game with Streveler it has to be Nichols. Let's not get the lynch-mob just yet.

Well, the knives are likely flying right now because Nichols has sucked? I mean, im a fan, i just lack confidence in him right now.. I just call them like i see them tho.. Its like calling out oh i dunno... Lets say Richie Hall when the D sucks. 

The O was crap in Half 2.. So I'll call out the main O guys tonight.. Nichols and Lapo

7 minutes ago, White Out said:

I'm just as disappointed as anybody, and that lost really stings. But I have to say I'm really turned off by how the knives are just flying for Nichols right now. It still amazes me that Drew Willy gets more slack even now than Nichols would get. 

Nichols did not lead this team in the second half.  

Sure didn't see a Cup contender in that one.....what I did see however was some coaching and some questionable play calling that was deserving of a firing....Never mind advancing this year and going somewhere in the playoffs...this team will be lucky to make post season with play like that  What a  huge disappointment

Edited by Stickem

People are jumping on Nichols and yes he played bad. But there were several reasons for this loss. The coaches did not do this team any favors tonight. 

...and the reality is as well, Streveler did have the ball in hands at two very key points of the game...points that could have closed the game. Now this may be not on him either (looking at the coaching again), but it was in his hands and he didn't produce.

Just saying the blame on this one can be shared by a few.

Just now, NorthernSkunk said:

If....Nichols completes his assignment........I don't think that happened enough in the second half

Expecting every offensive drive to end with a touchdown is unrealistic. People seem to be forgetting that Streveler himself had two offensive turnovers as well - all without even throwing a pass in that game. So by your logic - Streveler didn't complete his assignments either, and therefore is just as culpable.

5 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Expecting every offensive drive to end with a touchdown is unrealistic. People seem to be forgetting that Streveler himself had two offensive turnovers as well - all without even throwing a pass in that game. So by your logic - Streveler didn't complete his assignments either, and therefore is just as culpable.

I never expected every drive to end in a touchdown.....but I think I seen three to four scenarios where we lost an easy three points...if not a single from a miss....

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I never expected every drive to end in a touchdown.....but I think I seen three to four scenarios where we lost an easy three points...if not a single from a miss....

Sure, it's a team sport. I would lay this loss at the coaches more than the players, and you vice versa. Agree to disagree.

On the bright side.....

We only play BC twice this year, meaning even with this gut-wrenching loss, we still hold the tie-breaker over them in the divisional standings by virtue of the point differential in those two games.

22 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Sure, it's a team sport. I would lay this loss at the coaches more than the players, and you vice versa. Agree to disagree.

On the bright side.....

We only play BC twice this year, meaning even with this gut-wrenching loss, we still hold the tie-breaker over them in the divisional standings by virtue of the point differential in those two games.

That is the type of game the Stamps rarely lose, you can watch countless games in the last 5 years that they get outplayed by the opposition but somehow slip out of the game with two points.  That comes down to coaching, they make the smart calls at the right time of the game and they don't let their past success influence their decisions.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

That is the type of game the Stamps never lose, you can watch countless games in the last 5 yearsthat they get outplayed by the opposition but somehow come out of the game with two points.  That comes down to coaching, they make the smart calls at the right time of the game and they don't let their past success influence their decisions.

You're kind of proving my point here.

47 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I think we have to give at least a bit of credit to the BC's D in the second half.

in general the 3rd quarter seems to be a serious issue for us. We tend to go into the half time with momentum then just fail to launch in the second half.

Un characteristic of nichols we saw some brutal throws leading to turn overs. Id suspect its rust. Idk the last time he had a 3 pick game. hes gotten away with a few but not that could total that many in one game.

We also saw some uncharacteristic bad drops from darvin adams. The red zone calll will ruffle some feathers no doubt. I like going for it, im all for it. Im also heavily in favor of going for it instead of punting just out side of FG range. But if we are gonna go for it and go with streveler running we got to play action. Freeze the defense dont let them key on streveler and crash down. Shovel option and get him out of the pocket. 

Streveler isnt ready to lead the team every game game in and game out. But he is way further along then one could expect. if any thing throw him in for some package stuff more when the offense is stagnant. 

Also we got a few roughing the passer calls that were just awful. 

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

That is the type of game the Stamps rarely lose, you can watch countless games in the last 5 years that they get outplayed by the opposition but somehow slip out of the game with two points.  That comes down to coaching, they make the smart calls at the right time of the game and they don't let their past success influence their decisions.

yes, unless its the grey cup. But its a good point. Elite franchises beat the teams they should beat. and they finish a shin kicking. We kicked the poop outta bc for a lot of this game and should have won by 30