Something to cheer about!

Just reviewing some stats at TSN.

Although 4 teams have only played 3 games, I like the look of this!

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/standings

144 points scored through 4 games!

Sask has only managed 79.

Just about 5 weeks ago on riderfans they were trash talking about how they'd give us one of their Qb's for one of our best players... Karma is a ***** hey riderfans!?

Why hasn't Durant swooped in to save his team? Or can't he because we own his rights?

And for everyone complaining about our defence, we’re number two in points against among the five teams that have played four games, and still middle of the pack in the entire league despite four teams only having played three games. Obviously our defence needs a lot of work, but it’s not the only one that does. 

2 hours ago, O2L said:

And for everyone complaining about our defence, we’re number two in points against among the five teams that have played four games, and still middle of the pack in the entire league despite four teams only having played three games. Obviously our defence needs a lot of work, but it’s not the only one that does

But the Bombers are the only team we rave and agonize over.

56 minutes ago, O2L said:

And for everyone complaining about our defence, we’re number two in points against among the five teams that have played four games, and still middle of the pack in the entire league despite four teams only having played three games. Obviously our defence needs a lot of work, but it’s not the only one that does. 

at this point its improved over last year. and the biggest improvements to be made are more chemistry in the secondary and coaching. 

We are middle of the pack in a bunch of stats and among the best in a few big ones. But small ones, like most completions given up (worst) big plays given up (7th) yards given up (worst) and first down conversion splits are extreme outliers. (we have the best defense against teams trying to convert a first down with 4-6 yards, but 7-10 and 1-3 are middle to bottom tier) This points to our strategy. 

It is a bit early for deep delving into stats though (small sample size) Also the switch in starting qbs skews things on offense. It is a bit worry some that we have a very low YPC, but also low pass completion % compared to the rest of the league. With our offensive system we should be among the highest pass % teams if not the highest. But again qb switch and all. Whats even more interesting is that our eff soars as we pass deeper down field. Second best on  10-19 yard depth then head and shoulders better then every one else on 20+ yard passes. 

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/2018-CFL-Statistics-to-Week-4.pdf

19 hours ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Durant is retired, and we own his rights till the end of his contract i believe.

Delicious how it's all worked out, really. And all that plug got for his stupidity was $70K. I wonder if he regrets retiring.

If you're a dumb schmuck and you know it raise your hand!

Related image

On 2018-07-10 at 2:52 PM, Adrenaline_x said:

Durant is retired, and we own his rights till the end of his contract i believe.

Didnt obby kahn retire here with a year left on his deal, then come out of retirement and sign with calgary the same year while we got nothing for his rights? Maybe thats not how it works now but I feel like we dont hold his rights. We should though, unless he repays the bonus.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Durant's personal ethics aside, he is probably good enough to be the instant starter in Regina and get them into the playoffs. Jones is likely losing sleep trying to figure out how to get Durant's rights without kissing an O-ring.

I don't think that the word probably is defined as "something of almost impossible odds" because while he might be good enough to be their starter, he ain't no where near good enough to win behind that O line.

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

Durant's personal ethics aside, he is probably good enough to be the instant starter in Regina and get them into the playoffs. Jones is likely losing sleep trying to figure out how to get Durant's rights without kissing an O-ring.

An old less mobile qb without an arm has a better chance behind that Oline? 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

And that would be glorious to watch to be honest lol

I would buy an unlimited amount of popcorn to watch the circus explode.

The saSk Tweet about our QB seems pretty funny right now.  

Sask is in a world of hurt in the third year of the Chris Jones Era.   I mean,  We suffered through the Mike Kelly circus and it looked like we were almost gonna go into season 2 until the charges were made by his Ex.  one season was bad enough.

3 seasons, maybe a forth seems fitting for Sask.  

The craziest thing to me is the lack of DB depth in Sask. Isn't that the one position you can audition guys with little practice time on man coverage. If you can stick to your man you don't have to have the whole defensive playbook in your pocket. To keep playing Carter to wreck both sides of the ball is mind blowing. Someone mentioned Mike Kelly and his QB under centre fascination. Jones' stubbornness totally reminds me of Kelly that way.

3 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

The craziest thing to me is the lack of DB depth in Sask. Isn't that the one position you can audition guys with little practice time on man coverage. If you can stick to your man you don't have to have the whole defensive playbook in your pocket. To keep playing Carter to wreck both sides of the ball is mind blowing. Someone mentioned Mike Kelly and his QB under centre fascination. Jones' stubbornness totally reminds me of Kelly that way.

hahaha!

I think the honeymoon is over between Jones and the (sane) Rider fans. He was to be the one to lead them to the cup while making them envy of the league, but so far its been all sizzle and no steak. As has been posted here repeatedly, a head coach and/or GM can get away with a lot if they deliver wins, but that ain't been happening in Regina.

The Riders don't want anything to do with Durant either.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Durant for a first round pick and Roosevelt and the Riders can have their lord and saviour. We can even throw in an Adarious Bowman for good measure!   The Riders don't want anything to do with Durant either.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

9 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

An old less mobile qb without an arm has a better chance behind that Oline? 

what they need is a qb with a quick release, good zip on his passes and a basic ability to read the D pre snap and at the snap. They have the wr talent to carry the load. Mobility would also be good, but the simplicity of throw this or that depending on read makes the skill cap a lot lower. One of the biggest struggles with mobile qbs is when to run and when to throw. Bridge can be that guy imo, but itd take time. And they are not gonna give him the time and dedication to make it work. 

On 2018-07-11 at 3:12 PM, wbbfan said:

Didnt obby kahn retire here with a year left on his deal, then come out of retirement and sign with calgary the same year while we got nothing for his rights? Maybe thats not how it works now but I feel like we dont hold his rights. We should though, unless he repays the bonus.

I can't find any source to confirm this, but I remember at the time of signing with Calgary, there were rumors that Khan wanted to sign with the Bombers when he was planning to come back. The Bombers passed on him though - then Calgary picked him up.