Odds and Sods - BC Lions at Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Hot and humid.....players will have to grind it out tonight...
Nichols's intro gets a great hand....salvation is right around the corner
First series for Matt.....incomplete and then tipped ball.....
Opo sacks Jennings....
Nichols hits Adams on the sidelines for a long one....
...but review overturns it on no possession
BC No huddle....giving Blue D some alignment problems
Santos Knox whiffs on Johnson...Lions keep running it to the 25...
Couple of sloppy throws from Jennings….FG makes it 3-0
Streveler comes in on short yd package...runs around end, for 20
Nichols then lays in a nice pass to Adams, at the goal line...20 yd TD.
Johnson gets way behind Bomber secondary...but can't make catch.
Naturally, on next play..Bighill gets INT on Jennings overthrow...
Nichols getting into a groove.....hits Demski, then Wolitarsky…..
Harris takes dump pass and steeplechases right over BC defender to the 4.
Harris then gets a direct snap and barges into paydirt.  14 -3 Bombers
Salvation almost at hand, it seems.....
Jennings rushing some throws, looks indecisive out there.....
Lapo really mixing it up....multiple sets and misdirection stuff.....
Demski runs for first down, from the deep I....just all kinds of looks...
Streveler comes in 2nd and 1....and this time...throws one, down to BC 5
Streveler runs it in.  20-3 Bombers.  BC D looking pretty befuddled....
Jennings sacked by Jeffcoat, then gang tackled for another loss....
Fogg has punt get by him....then throws illegal pass to the wide site....
No matter...Harris busts up a truck sized hole in B gap....for big yards
Nichols follows that up, with long sideline bomb to Adams.....
Lions IC call, then an PI call takes it to the 1....
Streveler burrows in, for his 2nd TD.   28-3
Bombers have 300 yards of O in the half.....
With Bowman as an expensive decoy, or something....
Rainey gets off long KR with horse collar tackle call, to put BC in business
DT Johnson cranks Rainey, with big pop...
Jennings turns to short game....4 completions gets it to the Bomber 2
Johnson scores on next play to give the Lions a lift, going into 2nd half
Demski has good speed, but wants to go East-West at times....
BC adds a FG. 28-13.  Bomber O has slowed down somewhat.....
Moe Leggett now settling in at DHB.....
Fogg gets off a 35 yd punt return....setting up Blue, again...
Fenner adds plenty to kick cover teams....
Demski catches ball at marker, then runs 3 yds backwards....
Medlock FG has it at 31-13
Opo throws down Rainey for 4 yd loss on 2nd down play
Both Bomber DE's much more in evidence tonight ….
Pass pro for Bomber O, impressive.  Nichols can skip laundry tonight.....
Fenner now getting it done on D, as well....
Jennings telegraphs short pass at hashmark.....Bighill steps in front....
..shows a burst of speed....rolling down the sideline for 45 yd TD..
Backbreaker.  Against his ole club.  38-13.
Where in the world is Arceneaux?
Jennings out.....Fajardo in ….
His 1st play....Jeffcoat blows in and buries him....
2nd play....time count violation
Fafardo tries again....Randle tips ball up, then nice diving INT
Better effort from BC back 7 on D, this half....
Medlock makes it 41-13
LaFrance looks like another capable backup guy....
Nichols now showing a little rust on some throws.....
Streveler finally comes in at the 3:00 mark
Fajardo takes some pops, but battles away
Burnham makes an appearance....beating Cooper on long jump ball
Bomber penalties put it on the 1.   Fajardo scores
...then takes a pretty good hit on failed  2 point convert
Overall...more aggression on covering/tackling from Blue D, tonight
Grumpy ole Wally calls a timeout, with 18 seconds left
Some pleasantries and chippyness, in the last minute
41-19.  Not sure if salvation is around the corner
..but at least I know, the gin is.....

Edited by do or die

Playing against Jennings was good for the Bomber D.

I don't think Jennings would make the Bombers.

Ulrich wrote

- Jennings, now 3-15 against the Bombers, Eskimos and Calgary i

Edited by Mark F

Hate to 'nit-pic' after a nice win like that BUT....How the hell can the refs not call a penalty on that obvious bloody kick by Rainey on one of our down field tacklers AND then call a wimpy sad sack b.s. call on us the very next play...Rainy tried to bury his cleats into one of our players bare arm and the refs blow it off...That kind of bull$hit has to be called...

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Hate to 'nit-pic' after a nice win like that BUT....How the hell can the refs not call a penalty on that obvious bloody kick by Rainey on one of our down field tacklers AND then call a wimpy sad sack b.s. call on us the very next play...Rainy tried to bury his cleats into one of our players bare arm and the refs blow it off...That kind of bull$hit has to be called...

it looked like he actually tried to kick him in the head and then gave him a real good kick on the arm

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I’m curious if there are still people out there who think that Pat Neufeld is s major downgrade from Travis Bond?  I share people’s concern over potential injury problems for Patty but I’m not convinced he isn’t an upgrade over Bond when healthy.

The OL is doing great, but Neufeld is not an upgrade over Bond. But if he can stay healthy he makes us better due to the ratio benefits. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

The OL is doing great, but Neufeld is not an upgrade over Bond. But if he can stay healthy he makes us better due to the ratio benefits. 

..If he can stay healthy AND keep performing at the current level...

17 hours ago, Albertabomberguy said:

it looked like he actually tried to kick him in the head and then gave him a real good kick on the arm

IIRC, he kicked Thomas Miles #52.    That's the sort of thing that the CFL should review after the game and apply supplemental discipline to.    It ought to have been called during the game, but it is possible that no official saw it.    If an official saw it and didn't throw a flag, then that official should be called to account.  A deliberate kick like that should lead to an ejection.

10 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

IIRC, he kicked Thomas Miles #52.    That's the sort of thing that the CFL should review after the game and apply supplemental discipline to.    It ought to have been called during the game, but it is possible that no official saw it.    If an official saw it and didn't throw a flag, then that official should be called to account.  A deliberate kick like that should lead to an ejection.

Yep it was Miles.

IIRC, O'Shea can submit the video to the league's Safety & Discipline dept for possible discipline to Rainey. It would be good for us if he get suspended - minus one of their weapon and ST threat.

17 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I’m curious if there are still people out there who think that Pat Neufeld is s major downgrade from Travis Bond?  I share people’s concern over potential injury problems for Patty but I’m not convinced he isn’t an upgrade over Bond when healthy.

You can see the differences in the gaps opened in the running game. First point of contact is much closer to the hand off then it was with bond. The cohesiveness of the line, and the type of offense we run has a lot to do with keeping the qbs clean. 

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

You can see the differences in the gaps opened in the running game. First point of contact is much closer to the hand off then it was with bond. The cohesiveness of the line, and the type of offense we run has a lot to do with keeping the qbs clean. 

I'm calling BS on this. Harris has had decent holes basically all year. Nichols didn't get touched last game. Something that never happened behind bond. I'm not saying bond is **** either. I loved the guy. Was hoping we'd be able to find space for him. But first point of contact being much closer? That's straight up BS, and likely based solely on a bias towards Neuf. How can anyone measure that?

Edited by Bigblue204

3 hours ago, Jaxon said:

Yeah, it might just have not been seen, but that seems weird ... the kicker was the ball carrier, it didn't happen on the outskirts of the play, there would be at least one official with eyes on that part of the field, looking to spot the ball.

But yeah, **** happens, hopefully there is after the fact discipline

Edited by johnzo

2 hours ago, Jaxon said:

It's was right in front of where I sit and an official was standing RIGHT there watching it all unfold. He may have missed it but it was damned obvious. What pissed me off was we got called for a REALLY weak penalty almost immediately after. Player deliberately kicks an opponent they let that slide but then dole out one of the weakest roughing penalties the following play? Come on man.

The line is easily the the best in the league...with Neufeld in there.

We are the leading rushing team, and Strevler has hardly been touched in the pocket as well, and times he has been pressured more of it was his inexperience...if Nichols was in the ball would have been out already. 

Neufeld had injuries before yeah...true...but he a big burly farm boy and he couldn't get out of the tub before because he was always rushed back before 100 percent healthy as the line sucked and had no depth..so he kept getting knicked..

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

The line is easily the the best in the league...with Neufeld in there.

We are the leading rushing team, and Strevler has hardly been touched in the pocket as well, and times he has been pressured more of it was his inexperience...if Nichols was in the ball would have been out already. 

Neufeld had injuries before yeah...true...but he a big burly farm boy and he couldn't get out of the tub before because he was always rushed back before 100 percent healthy as the line sucked and had no depth..so he kept getting knicked..

I think one of Neufeld's problems (at times) is his being miscast as a Tackle. Sure, he has the versatility to do it in a pinch but he's much better inside where he's not on an island.

2 hours ago, Jaxon said:

Not sure how the officials could miss it, but if they did, what about the infamous 'eye in the sky'?  Aren't they supposed to jump in when something blatant is missed?  I could see it from my seat, but it wasn't the best angle, so I can't say if it was egregious or not.  He certainly tried to kick Miles though.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm calling BS on this. Harris has had decent holes basically all year. Nichols didn't get touched last game. Something that never happened behind bond. I'm not saying bond is **** either. I loved the guy. Was hoping we'd be able to find space for him. But first point of contact being much closer? That's straight up BS, and likely based solely on a bias towards Neuf. How can anyone measure that?

I'm calling BS on your BS, the O-line had multiple games with Bond the past two years were Nichols was not touched.  Neufeld is doing a good job but so did Bond.

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I'm calling BS on your BS, the O-line had multiple games with Bond the past two years were Nichols was not touched.  Neufeld is doing a good job but so did Bond.

I don't remember that (not that's its unbelievable I just don't remember) so I'm calling BS on you calling BS on me calling BS. Isn't it nice to be having this issue right now lol remembering how many games a QB DIDN'T get hit behind the Oline.