Do The Lions Eat Us Up Saturday Night?

BigBlue

20 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Hamilton might be the best team in the CFL right now.  You need a starting qb who’s capable of going toe to toe with Masoli to beat them.   I don’t see BC as being at all in the class.  Should at the very least be a close game if not a convincing bombers win even without Nichols.

best team in the east hands down. Still I wouldnt put them no1 or no2 in the west. And by LD I dont think theyd be no3 either. But as we have seen many many times in the play offs the team from the east still has a good chance at winning the cup. 

5 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

True - the full max protect requires a QB who can throw with pin point accuracy on a consistent basis. 

However, taking 5 to 7 yard dump offs when a D is never in press coverage, is a relatively easy adjustment. 

Scheme changes like this, that drastically go against the league meta always take a bit of time to crack. I remember when the Als used to play cover 0 as a base teams trying every thing to beat it. At first every one tried playing double tight heavy sets. max protection. And it didnt work. What eventually killed the als cover zero days was extreme spread offenses. 

The harris big run draw play that was called back, screen passes and quick high percentage tosses. This is kind of the opposite.

Hamilton goes max protect and we tried out blitzing them. But the max pro is what they practice and prepare to run. We are a low efficiency blitzing team. Our weakness against their strength. I think the way teams will crack the tigernaughts offensive scheme is by having the front 7 all on the line, then dropping guys back into coverage. Sending 3 or 4 guys. using twists, dropping ends and sending Lbers, and playing tight to the side lines. Force the wrs inside to the sea of Lbers, Hbs, and saftey. 

Make masoli read the defense, find the right route and make the right toss. The threat of pressure forces him to have to process his reads quickly with out actually pressuring him with sending rushers. If we had switched to that type of defense, which plays into the hall system, we would have beaten hamilton. A team designed around pressure and sending guys sure stick to your system. 

Starting in the 3rd Q we had 10    2 and outs in a row (TSN) ... I put this on Lapo who may have been trying to manage Strreveler way too much .... he was throwing the ball away instead of out running lineman on his tail  ... he did not seem to be allowed to operate and make plays in that stretch ... half way into the 4th Q they seemed to take the training wheels off ... this part was on Lapo not Hall

Edited by BigBlue

Yeah once the reigns were off and Strev played with a sense of urgency and quicker tempo..things changed and we were successful.

You can say it was against a soft garbage time defense...but it wasn't.. why we game planned the way we did is odd..u hate the "play to not make mistakes," mantra..you lose 90 percent of time.

Strevler plays much better all fired up with mixing in his legs

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Scheme changes like this, that drastically go against the league meta always take a bit of time to crack. I remember when the Als used to play cover 0 as a base teams trying every thing to beat it. At first every one tried playing double tight heavy sets. max protection. And it didnt work. What eventually killed the als cover zero days was extreme spread offenses. 

The harris big run draw play that was called back, screen passes and quick high percentage tosses. This is kind of the opposite.

Hamilton goes max protect and we tried out blitzing them. But the max pro is what they practice and prepare to run. We are a low efficiency blitzing team. Our weakness against their strength. I think the way teams will crack the tigernaughts offensive scheme is by having the front 7 all on the line, then dropping guys back into coverage. Sending 3 or 4 guys. using twists, dropping ends and sending Lbers, and playing tight to the side lines. Force the wrs inside to the sea of Lbers, Hbs, and saftey. 

Make masoli read the defense, find the right route and make the right toss. The threat of pressure forces him to have to process his reads quickly with out actually pressuring him with sending rushers. If we had switched to that type of defense, which plays into the hall system, we would have beaten hamilton. A team designed around pressure and sending guys sure stick to your system. 

Maybe it takes some teams / coaches a while to crack it, but check the highlights of Hamilton’s game vs. Calgary. They covered effectively and found ways to get pressure. 

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Maybe it takes some teams / coaches a while to crack it, but check the highlights of Hamilton’s game vs. Calgary. They covered effectively and found ways to get pressure. 

yes certainly. eventually any heavy change is figured out by every one. and either becomes adopted (modern spread offense from the days of two backs and under center snaps) or gets countered enough that it goes the way of the dodo (montreals cover 0, the stubler, bend but dont break etc) 

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

Starting in the 3rd Q we had 10    2 and outs in a row (TSN) ... I put this on Lapo who may have been trying to manage Strreveler way too much .... he was throwing the ball away instead of out running lineman on his tail  ... he did not seem to be allowed to operate and make plays in that stretch ... half way into the 4th Q they seemed to take the training wheels off ... this part was on Lapo not Hall

Very similar to the previous years with plop, when the offense goes hurry up it improves drastically. We gave up on the run for too long of a stretch, again. We didnt give him plays to let him get into a rhythm and we still seldom use option stuff. When we do its looked really clunky too. Id rather see buck pierce calling the plays.  

None of the throw aways by streveler looked bad to me. One was on a broken play where he flicked it into the ground but it was that or sack. Streveler is a great athlete, but he isnt michael vick. He isnt a first step guy who will pull away from every linemen in the league. He is more of a top end runner. Cant under rate the level of athleticism of the DL in the league either. The most athletic position in football today are that DE tweener and RB imo. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

best team in the east hands down. Still I wouldnt put them no1 or no2 in the west. And by LD I dont think theyd be no3 either. But as we have seen many many times in the play offs the team from the east still has a good chance at winning the cup. 

Marcel B. spent 8 of his 9 lives in Wpg. trying to duplicate that offence for Willy and failed miserably.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Marcel B. spent 8 of his 9 lives in Wpg. trying to duplicate that offence for Willy and failed miserably.

😆

Not wrong, Our OL was some kind of awful pre bond. Its better now, with the growth of hardrick but especially suhk and goosen. 

I feel like since the early khari era we have had some of the worst Cos in the league on both sides. And of those guys none may be worse then bfool and hall. 

I dont think max protect is the future in the cfl. But I do think a return to H back / te forms could be. we see more and more big bodied backs and te types coming out with little to no room in the league for them. But ive also thought the 30 front was the best strategy in the cfl. 

22 hours ago, BigBlue said:

There were at least 2 drops by Dressler in that stretch that would have converted on 2nd down.  The first one was a tougher catch, but the second one he had it in his hands, down on his knees and it just popped out.  He squeezes even one of those 2 catches and it's a different ball game.

I know that any given play can go any number of ways to affect the outcome of the game, and there are no guarantees, but those 2 plays struck me as somewhat critical at the time.

2 hours ago, Sard said:

There were at least 2 drops by Dressler in that stretch that would have converted on 2nd down.  The first one was a tougher catch, but the second one he had it in his hands, down on his knees and it just popped out.  He squeezes even one of those 2 catches and it's a different ball game.

I know that any given play can go any number of ways to affect the outcome of the game, and there are no guarantees, but those 2 plays struck me as somewhat critical at the time.

That might have changed the score but not the outcome.

57 minutes ago, Tracker said:

That might have changed the score but not the outcome.

It would have given the defense some much needed rest, and maybe allowed the offence to find some momentum in the 2nd half (with the wind).  Not saying it would have made a difference, but it could have.

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's great if he's back. But I really hope they aren't rushing it. Streveler has shown he can handle the spot light. I wouldn't be against sitting Nichols at least another week before he comes back.

I'm not against starting Nichols when the doctors/training staff say he's ready to play.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

At the point now where it doesn't matter to me if it's Nichols or Streveler out there, only concern is what are they going to do on defense to stop the bleeding. 

This is what I think it will come down to: Bomber D has to play better than last game.

Nichols will have to shake off some rust if he does play, so that may be a factor.

Bomber D does not match up well to what Hamilton normally does, but I think they will match up better to the O that BC runs, which means it should be a closer game.

Edited by TheSource