Do The Lions Eat Us Up Saturday Night?

BigBlue

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Dunno if anyone posted this already but thought it was an interesting bit to read. 

https://bomberbuzz.ca/2018/07/04/bombers-defensive-coaching-hits-rock-bottom-in-steel-town/

That was a great article. Very informative and leads one to agree with the tribal knowledge that removing Hall would be the best course of action to improve the defense.

It is a true shame that it would take an Act of God for Hall to be removed from his tenure.

I'm still waiting for someone to let me know where I can purchase a ticket on the "fire Hall" bandwagon.

And seriously, our defence just simply has to play better. I'm all good that we've used our rookie qb against 2 of the best teams in the league and he did okay, but the off-season changes to the defence were supposed to turn everything around. Last week was a horrible display from the O and the D. I'm expecting a big bounce-back game tonight, and the injection of our starting QB along with home field WILL have a positive outcome.

That was a much better concerted effort on the part of our defense tonight and more of what we've been looking for.  I'm not leaving the fire Hall bandwagon just yet until a Grey Cup is won.  But maybe this is something we can build on.  But .... We go right back at it against these guys next week and gotta do it again in their place.  They'll be ready this time.

3 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Not to take anything away from our D because they played a great game, but Jennings missed a lot of easy throws and was flat out terrible. It's easy to look good when you're playing QB's as bad as Jennings or Willy. 

We need to have a game like this against Reilly, BLM or even Trevor Harris.

Jennings was horrible but the pressure from the d line sure didn’t help his accuracy and his overall performance 

5 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

That was a much better concerted effort on the part of our defense tonight and more of what we've been looking for.  I'm not leaving the fire Hall bandwagon just yet until a Grey Cup is won.  But maybe this is something we can build on.  But .... We go right back at it against these guys next week and gotta do it again in their place.  They'll be ready this time.

I would expect they will face Lulay next week, it could be a whole different ball game.

38 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Not to take anything away from our D because they played a great game, but Jennings missed a lot of easy throws and was flat out terrible. It's easy to look good when you're playing QB's as bad as Jennings or Willy. 

We need to have a game like this against Reilly, BLM or even Trevor Harris.

This is the truth.

In particular, there were 2 big explosion plays that  BC missed where the BC receiver was wide open, both of which would have resulted in Lions TDs.

Bombers were also still soft in some pass coverage, although that is to be expected somewhat with the lead, and Jennings was not accurate enough for it to matter much.

It was a much better game for the Bomber D, and the turnovers and good pressure up front sure helped, but many of the old tendencies are still there.

I'm not too worried about Lulay. With all his injuries, I wonder if he will stay on the pocket more instead of do more scrambling.

For sure he will want to stay healthy for the rest of the season. Another exit with injury will definitely end his career. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I'm not too worried about Lulay. With all his injuries, I wonder if he will stay on the pocket more instead of do more scrambling.

For sure he will want to stay healthy for the rest of the season. Another exit with injury will definitely end his career. 

i agree - you have to wonder if Wally will want to start Lulay this soon. It is a long season and if Lulay gets dinged next week that might be it for the season (and may career) for him. Wally might be better off just going with what he has and give Lulay a chance to be 100%. I guess we will know later this week what Wally's decision will be.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

BC's O line and Jennings were both horrible.

As is to be expected from them. Everyone knew that was their problem going into the year. The shine is really off Jennings after his first year and that OL has been a mess for years. 

3 minutes ago, BBRT said:

i agree - you have to wonder if Wally will want to start Lulay this soon. It is a long season and if Lulay gets dinged next week that might be it for the season (and may career) for him. Wally might be better off just going with what he has and give Lulay a chance to be 100%. I guess we will know later this week what Wally's decision will be.

I’m sure if Lulay was 100% healthy he’d be playing already. I think he needs a couple more weeks before BC throws him in there behind that atrocious O-line.

31 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I’m sure if Lulay was 100% healthy he’d be playing already. I think he needs a couple more weeks before BC throws him in there behind that atrocious O-line.

Lulay has spent the majority of the last 3 years in rehab, much to my amazement he keeps coming back but I don't think he'll ever be near 100% again.

I guess if they're going to keep paying him to play, why not..... there could be an agreement there that he's transitioning into coaching, kinda like what Dickenson did.... Wally does have to retire eventually, even though he's tried it 12 times already!

34 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Jennings certainly seems to have been nothing more than a flash in the pan.  Though it's fair to wonder how he'd do if he got shipped out and sent over to backup Trevor Harris in Ottawa or something.

Casey Printers 2.0 ?

I think the p.a. should have played the 'Lion Sleeps Tonight'...We put them to bed early...Bighill was a nightmare for Wally and Nichols looked great...with a little Streve thrown in...If this club ever gets consistent and with the talent now pretty much evident....hmmmmm..I won't plan a Cup route yet but man we sure looked good last night...Now comes one of the hardest things to accomplish...finish off the other team in a back to back...Off to the coast to give Wally another sleepless night....heh heh

Edited by Stickem

7 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Lulay has spent the majority of the last 3 years in rehab, much to my amazement he keeps coming back but I don't think he'll ever be near 100% again.

Right now Lulay is the most fragile qb in the CFL. He isn't capable of ever being a starter again with the condition his body is in from prior injuries.  He is happy being number 2 & that in itself is sad as when completely healthy, he is ten times the qb Jennings will ever be.  He has become satisfied with collecting a paycheque behind an inferior qb. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Right now Lulay is the most fragile qb in the CFL. He isn't capable of ever being a starter again with the condition his body is in from prior injuries.  He is happy being number 2 & that in itself is sad as when completely healthy, he is ten times the qb Jennings will ever be.  He has become satisfied with collecting a paycheque behind an inferior qb. 

I’m not so sure he’s ‘satisfied’ with being the backup, so much as he’s accepted that he doesn’t have much choice.

You’re right in that odds are he’d never survive a full season as starter.  It’s got to be tough seeing the game the way he does while Jennings is making a dog’s breakfast of things.  If anything I’d imagine that it eats him up, but he’s also a professional who still wants to give what he has left.... with being the backup the only way to go about it.