Around The NHL 2018/2019

14 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Dano back in the Peg.

No Way!  haha thats hilarious.  Well I guess they like him then because if they had nothing for him, paying him $800,000 to play for the Moose didnt seem worth it.  But I guess it adds depth after losing Vesa and they know him and he knows their system.

EDIT: Assigned to the moose.  So it only them a month to accomplish their original goal.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

17 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

No Way!  haha thats hilarious.  Well I guess they like him then because if they had nothing for him, paying him $800,000 to play for the Moose didnt seem worth it.  But I guess it adds depth after losing Vesa and they know him and he knows their system.

EDIT: Assigned to the moose.  So it only them a month to accomplish their original goal.

They could assign him directly? I didn't know that. I thought, just like the Avs, they would have to keep him on the roster for 30 days. 

I guess this doesn't happen that often. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

They could assign him directly? I didn't know that. I thought, just like the Avs, they would have to keep him on the roster for 30 days. 

I guess this doesn't happen that often. 

I think a player being waived can be assigned to the AHL.  Cause he's already on Waivers.  Once he is assigned to the parent club, like in the case of the Avs, he'd have to go on waivers again to be sent down.  Avs could have assigned him to the AHL right off the bat but didnt.  I believe thats how it works.  I assume the Jets intent initially was to waive him to the Moose.  And now they have.

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think a player being waived can be assigned to the AHL.  Cause he's already on Waivers.  Once he is assigned to the parent club, like in the case of the Avs, he'd have to go on waivers again to be sent down.  Avs could have assigned him to the AHL right off the bat but didnt.  I believe thats how it works.  I assume the Jets intent initially was to waive him to the Moose.  And now they have.

I believe it is because it was the Jets who originally put him on Waivers. 

If another team were to have claimed him, they'd have to keep him on their roster for 30 days.  But because the Jets originally placed Dano on waivers and Colorado claimed him from them, then Colorado put him on waivers in the same season, the Jets can claim him and put him directly down to the AHL since they originally owned his rights.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

I believe it is because it was the Jets who originally put him on Waivers. 

If another team were to have claimed him, they'd have to keep him on their roster for 30 days.  But because the Jets originally placed Dano on waivers and Colorado claimed him from them, then Colorado put him on waivers in the same season, the Jets can claim him and put him directly down to the AHL since they originally owned his rights.

That 30 day rule sounds familiar.  You are correct sir.

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The other owners must look at Melnyk, then True North, then Melnyk, then True North and wonder how they can have such a range in quality of owners. Melnyk has done everything he possible can to sink that franchise in Ottawa. 

Imagine if Balsille was an owner too? Yikes. 

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/friesen-low-key-laine-grabbing-place-in-history

Fun Facts

Last players to score 11 or more goals in a four-game span*
(just five have done it in the modern era, post-1944)

Patrik Laine, 11, 2018-19
Mario Lemieux, 11, 1992-93
Alexander Mogilny, 11, 1992-93
Mario Lemieux, 11, 1988-89
Rick Tocchet, 11, 1987-88
Wayne Gretzky, 12, 1981-82

*courtesy Elias Sports Bureau

Most goals in a calendar month
(Laine has 16 in 10 games, with 2 games left in November)

20, Teemu Selanne, March, 1993 (14 games)
20, Joe Malone, Feb., 1921 (9 games)
19, Pavel Bure, March, 1994 (16 games)
19, Pat Lafontaine, Jan., 1992 (14 games)
19, Mario Lemieux, Dec., 1988 (14 games)
19, Wayne Gretzky, Jan., 1984 (13 games)
19, Wayne Gretzky, Dec., 1981 (14 games)
19, Phil Esposito, March, 1971 (15 games)
19, Phil Esposito, Dec., 1970 (14 games)

Five-goal games in Winnipeg Jets history
(all have come on the road)

Patrik Laine, vs Blues, 2018
Alexei Zhamnov, vs L.A. Kings, 1995
Willy Lindstrom, vs Flyers, 1982

Buff on IR with a concussion.

It cannot be overstated how badly the NHL bungled Buff's injury.  How much more damage was done to his brain by letting him return to the game.  Absolutely ridiculous.   Any player that is hit in the head and either cannot get up or is on rubber legs, should be out of that game.  Thats a *ahem* no-brainer.