Around The NHL 2018/2019

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

what mclellan? He needed to go. his only coaching was throwing McDavid over the boards and hoping he'd do everything. 

when your PP sucks ass with McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins on it it's pretty clear the coaches aren't doing their jobs. 

And/or management isn't assembling the appropriate skill sets needed to support the best player on the planet. 

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

And/or management isn't assembling the appropriate skill sets needed to support the best player on the planet. 

That's just the easy answer though. You actually look at that team and you can see that while the roster may be imperfect, there is more there than the coaches were getting. 

Case in point, last year everyone blamed the poor PP on Woodcroft. He was the assistant who had that job so makes sense right? Except the PP looks like the same crappy thing in Edmonton this year while Woodcroft looks like a revelation as the AHL head coach this season including a dangerous PP. Meanwhile the assistant coach the Oilers hired from Swift Current who supposedly is a bright PP mind isn't even being talked to about the PP. 

Mclellan isn't a horrible coach, but he is a horrible fit in Edmonton and the results speak for themselves. Especially when you consider the obvious disconnect between GM and coach on the roster. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That's just the easy answer though. You actually look at that team and you can see that while the roster may be imperfect, there is more there than the coaches were getting. 

Case in point, last year everyone blamed the poor PP on Woodcroft. He was the assistant who had that job so makes sense right? Except the PP looks like the same crappy thing in Edmonton this year while Woodcroft looks like a revelation as the AHL head coach this season including a dangerous PP. Meanwhile the assistant coach the Oilers hired from Swift Current who supposedly is a bright PP mind isn't even being talked to about the PP. 

Mclellan isn't a horrible coach, but he is a horrible fit in Edmonton and the results speak for themselves. Especially when you consider the obvious disconnect between GM and coach on the roster. 

I'm sorry, easy answer? Their lack of success with the best player on the planet is a shared responsibility, players, coaches and management. Look at PC's  body of work during his tenure here in Oiler land, it needs to be scrutinized just like everyone else involved. No, no, assessing management and their accountability has to be part of this discussion. If Hitchcock and group don't turn this around, I can guess who is next to go and it would be the right one. He's used his last Mulligan.   

28 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'm sorry, easy answer? Their lack of success with the best player on the planet is a shared responsibility, players, coaches and management. Look at PC's  body of work during his tenure here in Oiler land, it needs to be scrutinized just like everyone else involved. No, no, assessing management and their accountability has to be part of this discussion. If Hitchcock and group don't turn this around, I can guess who is next to go and it would be the right one. He's used his last Mulligan.   

obviously Chiarelli is on the hot seat too, but let's not absolve Mclellan of blame when there are some clear things he doesn't do well. Guy doesn't line match at all, Mcdavid gets the toughest matchups at home and away, he blew that Calgary game on the weekend by sticking with the "protection" of Lucic on the top line and Kassian on the second line even when the Flames stopped trying to win a physical game. Just no adaptations at all. His only strategy when coaching is put McDavid and Draisaitl together and hope they win the game. 

I think the roster has more to give than they were getting out of it because we've seen shittier rosters have better results. I want to see what a new coach does with this group. 

If we're being totally honest they really should have just kept Todd Nelson when they hired Chiarelli, that guy got the best out of his players.

McClellan got sent packing cuz he signed an overrated Draisaitl and Lucic to long term crippling contracts and traded last season's MVP for a 2RHD. For sure. 

17to85 

Man are you ever delushional here. 

Oilers lack the talent... Its obvious.. Eberle for Spooner essentially... Hall for a 2 RHD. This is 100 percent on Chiarelli... 100 percent. 

Hitchcock wont help cuz hes a dinosaur and did nothing with a more talented Dallas team. 

Edited by Goalie

18 hours ago, Goalie said:

McClellan got sent packing cuz he signed an overrated Draisaitl and Lucic to long term crippling contracts and traded last season's MVP for a 2RHD. For sure. 

17to85 

Man are you ever delushional here. 

Oilers lack the talent... Its obvious.. Eberle for Spooner essentially... Hall for a 2 RHD. This is 100 percent on Chiarelli... 100 percent. 

Hitchcock wont help cuz hes a dinosaur and did nothing with a more talented Dallas team. 

I won't defend some of chia's trades, but draisaitl is on pace for over 100 points right now, how is he over rated? 

Mclellan was a problem and you will see that as more time passes. Hitchcock isn't a long term solution but you will see a different oiler team and don't be surprised if McDavid actually scores more now. 

Yeah the way the Blues have gone since he left there sure seems to indicate the guy is useless.... 

People are selling this move short, just watch. Oilers need a teacher and someone who uses guys to their strengths, that's Hitchcock. Mclellan didn't even line match, he just let the other teams dictate the matchups. What do you think McDavid will do when he isn't having to take all the hard matchups and when the rest of the lineup gets more sheltering?

58 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Remember when it was all Dallas Eakins' fault? I see a similar pattern of 17to85 absolving everybody of blame except the head coach.

Eakins was a problem. Renney and krueger and Nelson were guys who never should have been let go, Eakins and Mclellan were problems.

So here's the thing, I believe Mclellan brought some value initially, but he never adapted when his **** stopped working, and that is why the Oilers started struggling. Coaching is a constant game of adapting and mclellan never did that. We saw more in game coaching from Hitchcock last night than in years of mclellan.

The roster is imperfect, but there is more to it than mclellan was getting from them.