Around The NHL 2018/2019

20 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hartford would be a better draw than Carolina. Don't know why they don't upgrade the arena in Hartford & bring them back permanently. 

Hartfords population has gone down nearly every year since the 1950's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford,_Connecticut#Demographics

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

23 hours ago, Floyd said:

Fixed that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotron_Centre

Saw it with my own eyes last year.

Imagine the talent pool for French Canadian coaches and management gets even shallower with a team in Quebec City, as they are even crazier in QC than Montreal when it comes to only hiring French dudes for those positions.  They probably would also insist on a quota of French-speaking players as well.  The franchise would be doomed before it ever played a game.

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎26 at 4:38 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Hartfords population has gone down nearly every year since the 1950's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford,_Connecticut#Demographics

So has Detroit. And yet they still have all 4 major sports franchises play their games in the downtown of that city. There are 1.4 million people living in the Metro area of Hartford. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotron_Centre

Saw it with my own eyes last year.

Imagine the talent pool for French Canadian coaches and management gets even shallower with a team in Quebec City, as they are even crazier in QC than Montreal when it comes to only hiring French dudes for those positions.  They probably would also insist on a quota of French-speaking players as well.  The franchise would be doomed before it ever played a game.

I think that QC would be a huge success. They're crazy about hockey there. Every game would be insane with noise. It would be a great atmosphere to watch as a fan or to be a player. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think that QC would be a huge success. They're crazy about hockey there. Every game would be insane with noise. It would be a great atmosphere to watch as a fan or to be a player. 

even if they are losing 80% of their games?  I hope that you are right, but the whole forced to hire only French people thing is just ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

even if they are losing 80% of their games?  I hope that you are right, but the whole forced to hire only French people thing is just ridiculous.

Did they ever say they would do that? Just hire French Canadians. I mean the Canadiens do the same thing.  Interesting that the last time the Canadiens had an actual dynasty Sam Pollock was GM & Scotty Bowman was the Head Coach. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Did they ever say they would do that? Just hire French Canadians. I mean the Canadiens do the same thing.  Interesting that the last time the Canadiens had an actual dynasty Sam Pollock was GM & Scotty Bowman was the Head Coach. 

Do you honestly think that they would hire English-speaking coaches in QC?  They won't do it in Montreal. 

I guess we will see.  I sure as heck wouldn't want to own an NHL franchise in Quebec.  Who would run it?  Patrick Roy?

What if the Jets suddenly announced that only Manitoba-born people could coach and manage the Jets.  We'd be totally screwed.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Do you honestly think that they would hire English-speaking coaches in QC?  They won't do it in Montreal. 

I guess we will see.  I sure as heck wouldn't want to own an NHL franchise in Quebec.  Who would run it?  Patrick Roy?

What if the Jets suddenly announced that only Manitoba-born people could coach and manage the Jets.  We'd be totally screwed.

We don't know what they're going to do  until they have a team. Sure, I expect them to hire French speaking coaches but I don't know why it's a big deal. They could also hire someone who is English. Or Swedish.  You also can't compare Manitoba to Quebec. Culture & population wise. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We don't know what they're going to do  until they have a team. Sure, I expect them to hire French speaking coaches but I don't know why it's a big deal.

I guess we will see.  I am just glad I cheer for a team that isn't limited by only hiring coaches who speak French. Opens up so many more possibilities.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

From my experiences in Quebec which is a lot... they would riot if they had an english speaking only coach.    I'm not even joking.....     

Due to Quebec's language law all coaching decisions must be in French and if English is used it must be spoken at a quieter tone.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

From my experiences in Quebec which is a lot... they would riot if they had an english speaking only coach.    I'm not even joking.....     

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/canadiens-doing-randy-cunneyworth-no-favours-in-language-scuffle

when I was touring the Bell Center I got into an argument with the guide.  He admitted the Canadiens had to hire only French coaches but he said that he thought that it wasn't a big deal because there were so many French coaches.  Then he got mad when he couldn't name more than three...

Edited by kelownabomberfan

I was in Quebec earlier this year and for the most part the young people were pretty cool with people not being able to speak French.      It's the old farts and the people in the country who are crazy over the language.      I remember when I worked in Gatineau the uproar they had when one of the exit signs on the highway contained both French and English.  

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

I was in Quebec earlier this year and for the most part the young people were pretty cool with people not being able to speak French.      It's the old farts and the people in the country who are crazy over the language.      I remember when I worked in Gatineau the uproar they had when one of the exit signs on the highway contained both French and English.  

yup, my experience as well when I was there last year.

According to TMZ, Evander Kane is being sued for $3 Million.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/10/31/woman-sues-nhls-evander-kane-claims-he-owes-her-3-million-for-aborting-his-baby/

NHL superstar Evander Kane is being sued by a woman who claims he promised to pay her $3 MILLION to abort their child ... so she did ... but he never ponied up the dough. 

It's all in a lawsuit filed by a woman using the alias "Jane Doe" to protect her identity. In the suit, the woman claims she started dating Kane in 2015. 

So far this is only being reported by TMZ, so take that into account when reading this article.   Quite the story if the allegations turn out to be true.

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

According to TMZ, Evander Kane is being sued for $3 Million.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/10/31/woman-sues-nhls-evander-kane-claims-he-owes-her-3-million-for-aborting-his-baby/

So far this is only being reported by TMZ, so take that into account when reading this article.   Quite the story if the allegations turn out to be true.

TMZ is about a good to go as the Post but how do you prove it?