Around The NHL 2018/2019

24 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

A little harsh - you don't know what most of us do daily.  I will admit my knowledge of NHL arbitration isn't at expert level, but I think a few of us were just commenting on what seems to be a pretty preposterous situation, where the two sides go in so far apart.  It makes it appear unnecessarily combative, when in fact Trouba and the Jets relationship may be quite cordial.

The arbitration system in the NHL is designed to be combative on purpose as motivation to have teams and players settle outside of it.    And for the most part it is successful in achieving that, as very few players actually get to arbitration despite filing for it.

Each side gets 90 minutes to make their case in front of the arbitrator.   The Jets will have to rip apart Trouba's game and highlight all of his deficiencies and list all the reasons on why they think he is only worth $4M and not the $7M.  Trouba gets to sit there and listen to all that.   

Teams want to avoid this as it certainly can sour the relationship with a player.

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

The arbitration system in the NHL is designed to be combative on purpose as motivation to have teams and players settle outside of it.    And for the most part it is successful in achieving that, as very few players actually get to arbitration despite filing for it.

Each side gets 90 minutes to make their case in front of the arbitrator.   The Jets will have to rip apart Trouba's game and highlight all of his deficiencies and list all the reasons on why they think he is only worth $4M and not the $7M.  Trouba gets to sit there and listen to all that.   

Teams want to avoid this as it certainly can sour the relationship with a player.

Man I would have loved to have been a witness at an arbitration hearing for Toby Enstrom.

5.5 max if it goes to Arb. 

Jones. Slavin. Lindholm. Reilly. Risto to an extent. So many comparables. Trouba isnt worth more for 1 rfa year than those guys. 

4? Prob 500k to low.. 7? 2.5 to high.

But to me it shows that perhaps 6 x 6.5 or similar to that.. 6.1 ish... Is middle ground there. No way hes getting close to 7 for 1 RFA year. Trouba is good but hes not elite. 

If he's gonna be a problem again, i think its time to move him. I think the Jets will also if he signs a reasonable long term contract. 

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Nobody wants to be called a depreciating asset by their team.

He's playing by the rules.  And he wasn't going to ask for $5 million in arbitration so that he can end up agreeing to $5.  Of course he wants $7.  Its a one year deal.

If they dont make a deal by the deadline, it would confirm that Trouba doesn't want to be here.  Not too many reasons for a #1 D man, getting the ice time he wants, playing a position he wants on a team predicted to be a legit contender for a decade, on arguably the third best team in the league, to want to go to a lesser team other then he doesnt want to be here.

But until negotiations fail, that's simple speculation.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Only good thing about it is that you can properly see the shoulder crest. Why they have a blue edged logo on a blue background is ugh.

Over all it's a fail cause there are too many red, white, blue unis in the NHL now.

Like someone said, why are there so many blue uni's in Canada?

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He's playing by the rules.  And he wasn't going to ask for $5 million in arbitration so that he can end up agreeing to $5.  Of course he wants $7.  Its a one year deal.

If they dont make a deal by the deadline, it would confirm that Trouba doesn't want to be here.  Not too many reasons for a #1 D man, getting the ice time he wants, playing a position he wants on a team predicted to be a legit contender for a decade, on arguably the third best team in the league, to want to go to a lesser team other then he doesnt want to be here.

But until negotiations fail, that's simple speculation.

He doesn't want to be here. Wanna know why he decided for Arbitration? Cuz no team would offer sheet him... And for the Jets not match.. It would have to be 4 1sts coming back... Nobody thinks hes worth that type of money.. He deserves to be humbled cuz he thinks hes Doughty light... When hes likely our 3rd best overall D man behind 33 and 44. 

Why confused. He wants 7 million a year for his UFA years.. Lets say he signed a 6 year deal.. He wants 7 for 4 of those years.. The last 4. Hes not worth 7... He has many comparables out there who are around 5.5 or less. 

You want to overpay him? Thats the only way he stays.. 

They should go 6 years 36 max long term. 

Buys 4 UFA years.. But dont overpay since you got guys like scheif lowry ehlers helle on market value deals. 

Lets say u do give him 7.. Ok then u gotta give Morrossey more also.. Cuz hes better overall. 

And then Laine Wheeler Connor. Oh boy... Cap troubles cuz u overpay 1 non elite D man. 

Edited by Goalie

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Why confused. He wants 7 million a year for his UFA years.. Lets say he signed a 6 year deal.. He wants 7 for 4 of those years.. The last 4. Hes not worth 7... He has many comparables out there who are around 5.5 or less. 

You want to overpay him? Thats the only way he stays.. 

They should go 6 years 36 max long term. 

Buys 4 UFA years.. But dont overpay since you got guys like scheif lowry ehlers helle on market value deals. 

Lets say u do give him 7.. Ok then u gotta give Morrossey more also.. Cuz hes better overall. 

And then Laine Wheeler Connor. Oh boy... Cap troubles cuz u overpay 1 non elite D man. 

Well since we agree on P&M and I was getting beat up pretty good in that thread, Ill begrudgingly agree with you here :-) 

But seriously, my confusion was more to how you can be so sure Trouba doesnt want to be here?  Is that an emotional reaction to the prospect of losing the player?  Im not saying you're wrong, we dont know.  If it goes to Arbitration it probably means you're right but his ask isnt indicative of that.  He wouldnt ask for less on a one deal at Arbitration. 

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I just feel like with Kane.. Where theres smoke theres fire.

I'm not sure about the last year but his second season he definitely had off ice issues like Kane.

I have full faith that the Jets will make the right decision down the road.

Trouba wants max money because why wouldn't he wants max money. 

He's not a loser or a scum bucket for asking for the moon. He's watched a lot of pawn Stars and knows to ask for the moon knowing that they will settle for a better deal in the end.