Around The NHL 2018/2019

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Balance has been restored. The Leafs are out yet again. All hail the hockey Gods. 

Got the below JD B tweet from an Oiler fan friend and thought it was shade funny:

How long before Matthews asks for a trade? Leafs can’t win a playoff series, haven’t won a cup for 50+ years. Time to blow up the team and rebuild. Am I doing this right Leafs fans? This is the exact **** ya’ll say about McDavid. Sounds ridiculous now doesn’t it?

Lol well Toronto knows where it’s weak. I’m not sure Edmonton does. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Buffalo Sabres announced on Wednesday that they have hired Ralph Krueger as their new head coach. Krueger's most recent NHL coaching job was with the Edmonton Oilers during the 2012-13 season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Krueger

Winnipeg born but I wonder about this. 

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

15 minutes ago, Floyd said:

They are NOT going to hire Tippett...??!?!

that's the word...apparently Tippett was down to Buffalo or Edmonton, so based on the Krueger news.................................??

I was really pushing for Todd Nelson...that guy did a good job before they hired McLellan...

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that's the word...apparently Tippett was down to Buffalo or Edmonton, so based on the Krueger news.................................??

I was really pushing for Todd Nelson...that guy did a good job before they hired McLellan...

Make Lucic the head coach - they're going to have to buy him out anyway...

On 2019-05-15 at 3:58 PM, Noeller said:

IMO, #1 priority of the off-season.......gotta find a way outta that albatross.

I just don't see any real viable way out of it. If you want someone to take on that contract you have to be offering serious assets along with it... high picks, star players.

If I am the GM of Edmonton I'm doing everything I can to just get some value out of Lucic. Private trainer, sports psychologist, whatever it takes. He was a good player at one point and I think he still could be, with a lot of work. He will never be worth 6M but maybe you can get the production of a 4M player out of him... 40 points in a third line role... it's still not ideal but I think you can work around that.

Not that I give a **** about the Oilers but I like a good redemption story and I find their current situation intriguing.

13 hours ago, Atomic said:

I just don't see any real viable way out of it. If you want someone to take on that contract you have to be offering serious assets along with it... high picks, star players.

If I am the GM of Edmonton I'm doing everything I can to just get some value out of Lucic. Private trainer, sports psychologist, whatever it takes. He was a good player at one point and I think he still could be, with a lot of work. He will never be worth 6M but maybe you can get the production of a 4M player out of him... 40 points in a third line role... it's still not ideal but I think you can work around that.

Not that I give a **** about the Oilers but I like a good redemption story and I find their current situation intriguing.

It's really a 1a/1b situation for me in terms of Jets/Oilers priorities (living among fLames fans drives me to this...) but yeah, they'll find a home for Lucic. He was openly talking about wanting to play for Vancouver, so hopefully they'll be able to make something happen there...

It would have to be something like Lucic (money retained) plus 1st for Loui Erickson. 

I dont see lucic being moved unless oilers send their 1st or a good young player with him for another overpaid underperforming player. 

On 2019-05-19 at 11:34 AM, Floyd said:

The only fit I see for Lucic is Montreal really... 

If Im Montreal I'd push for Yamamoto/Lucic for Alzner/2nd round pick

But I'd swap out Alzner for Lucic straight up 

I think the bigger problem for Lucic is no one wants him.

On 2019-05-18 at 6:51 PM, Atomic said:

Don't see it, I think the game has passed him by but hey who knows, maybe another team takes a gamble on him. But I do know the Oilers are not in a position of strength to get good value in return for him. I think Holland knows he takes a hit on this one.

20 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Don't see it, I think the game has passed him by but hey who knows, maybe another team takes a gamble on him. But I do know the Oilers are not in a position of strength to get good value in return for him. I think Holland knows he takes a hit on this one.

There will not be any positive outcome for the Oilers in regard to Lucic in a trade scenario. It simply won't happen. The only way they move him is to take on an equally bad player on an equally poor contract or give up major assets to entice a team to take him. And that potentially leaves them in a worse spot than had they kept him.

At 30 years old and only 2 seasons removed from 50 points, I think you can still salvage something from Lucic. A 6 million dollar player?  Hell no.  A 35-40 point player on the 3rd line?  Maybe.  And I think that would be the best case scenario for the Oilers.

There is no optimal ending here.  This is a salvage mission and Ken Holland would be wise to look at it that way.  Take the best of the shitty options and accept it.