Around The NHL 2018/2019

27 minutes ago, JCon said:

Nicholson is so poor at his job, he's blaming the staff. Oilers deserve him. 

TBF Rieder=0 goals but he's not THE reason they out of playoffs.

Not considering replacing him with someone else is THE reason they out of the playoffs.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Two years in the league and the success they are enjoying is highly annoying. You're waiting for the bottom to fall out and its not.

I have to wonder where this team would be without Fleury. 

I'm also pretty intrigued with how McPhee handles his roster going into next season. Fleury, Stone, Pacioretty, and Tuch are all getting raises; Bellemare, Pirri, and Engelland are all pending UFAs; Karlsson, Nosek, and Subban are all RFAs with arbitration rights in need of new contracts. Without factoring in those last three, their cap is already projected to be over $82M. That's not exactly a flattering situation for a GM.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I'm also pretty intrigued with how McPhee handles his roster going into next season. Fleury, Stone, Pacioretty, and Tuch are all getting raises; Bellemare, Pirri, and Engelland are all pending UFAs; Karlsson, Nosek, and Subban are all RFAs with arbitration rights in need of new contracts. Without factoring in those last three, their cap is already projected to be over $82M. That's not exactly a flattering situation for a GM.

That could be said about any of the league's top teams...  Rinne, Helle, etc...

Vegas D is locked down at a very reasonable price for a long time - aside from Pacioretty contract, Vegas looks good

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

They would be the fastest team in the league without Fleury. Watching the VGK game i saw Subban doing warmup moves that made our goalies look like they were moving in slow motion. It's all about speed for that team. Fleury might be mid 30s but even he is arguably the fastest moving goalie in league.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They would be the fastest team in the league without Fleury. Watching the VGK game i saw Subban doing warmup moves that made our goalies look like they were moving in slow motion. It's all about speed for that team. Fleury might be mid 30s but even he is arguably the fastest moving goalie in league.

Ya. Our 3rd game in 4 nights had no effect on that

On 2019-03-23 at 9:22 PM, Goalie said:

Vegas is in cap hell starting next season

They are going to have to make some decisions.  Right now, with the cap as it is, they are minus 2+ million for next season and thats without Karlsson and a back up goalie.  So they will have to trade some guys to fit those contracts even if the cap goes up 3-4 million.   

Ofcourse, they are still a very good team.  But they havent really built any wiggle room into their cap situation.  Although, if they can get through next season, they might be very good as Stastny comes off the following year but everyone else is locked up.   In essence, they are pretty much the team you see for the next several years

23 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I thought Vegas took some guys with bad contracts on trades...  maybe they will have more room freed up.

That minus $2 million is with expiring contracts.  They have a few guys they can trade but will teams take full contracts and give back no salary?  I think that will be their struggle.  Unless the cap goes up about $7-$9 million, they can't fit Karlsson at all.  I imagine they intend to keep him so something will have to be done.  Plus they need a back up too.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They are going to have to make some decisions.  Right now, with the cap as it is, they are minus 2+ million for next season and thats without Karlsson and a back up goalie.  So they will have to trade some guys to fit those contracts even if the cap goes up 3-4 million.   

Ofcourse, they are still a very good team.  But they havent really built any wiggle room into their cap situation.  Although, if they can get through next season, they might be very good as Stastny comes off the following year but everyone else is locked up.   In essence, they are pretty much the team you see for the next several years

Keep in mind that's based on the current season's cap. The salary cap for 2019-20 should be around $83M. Even with that projected increase, they're in a tough spot. Karlsson is going to want a handsome raise, and he's got arbitration rights.

Edited by blue_gold_84

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Keep in mind that's based on the current season's cap. The salary cap for 2019-20 should be around $83M. Even with that projected increase, they're in a tough spot. Karlsson is going to want a handsome raise, and he's got arbitration rights.

Yes, thats what I mean.  Cap goes up and they arent "minus"...but then, they still have to sign Karlsson and a back up goalie.  He's at$5.5 or so now...so even if they get him for $6, they are short.  Maybe Reeves and someone else get traded but you have to find someone to take those players in exchange for draft picks.  

Maybe the Stastny signing isnt looking so hot for them.  But I havent followed it close enough to know how well he's working out there.

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes, thats what I mean.  Cap goes up and they arent "minus"...but then, they still have to sign Karlsson and a back up goalie.  He's at$5.5 or so now...so even if they get him for $6, they are short.  Maybe Reeves and someone else get traded but you have to find someone to take those players in exchange for draft picks.  

Maybe the Stastny signing isnt looking so hot for them.  But I havent followed it close enough to know how well he's working out there.

Stastny was hurt for a chunk of the season, but that being said, he wasn't going to be with Laine and Ehlers again so his production wasn't going to be on par.  Now,  if the Hayes line can really start producing I am missing Stastny less and less right now.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Still looks better than the Pacioretty re-up, IMO. Stastny has been pretty good in Vegas this season.

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Stastny was hurt for a chunk of the season, but that being said, he wasn't going to be with Laine and Ehlers again so his production wasn't going to be on par

His production has actually been better this season than during his brief stint last season here. His GPG average is very marginally improved but his APG and PPG is considerably better.