Around The NHL 2018/2019

3 minutes ago, iHeart said:

btw the jets magic number for clinching a playoff spot is 17

Actually it's 14. Minnesota can get no more than 98 points right now, and assuming that the Jets' wins are of the ROW variety, if they win 7 games they will have more ROW wins than Minny, and that is 1st tie breaker.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Stone is great, no doubt.  But that contract would not excite me in Winnipeg.  It would make me really really nervous actually.  Like you'd have to win some cups in the next couple years because you just know a day of reckoning was coming.

If Vegas wins cups, then they can say it was a success and the right thing to do.  Let's check back in a few years and see what they're saying.

I mean knowing who we have at that price point, and the fact TNSE isn't about to trade Wheeler or Buff or whomever, sure... but Stone at $9.5M is a steal.  He's their best, franchise player. The one you build around. And Vegas doesn't need to win anything IMO.  Everything they touched last season turned to gold. Fanbase is built up now and sustainable. 

Pacioretty is really the only bad deal they have.  They're loaded with future picks. Exempt from Seattle expansion. 

I think they'll be saying - as they are now -  Look at us: top 10 franchise on and off the ice. 

28 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I mean knowing who we have at that price point, and the fact TNSE isn't about to trade Wheeler or Buff or whomever, sure... but Stone at $9.5M is a steal.  He's their best, franchise player. The one you build around. And Vegas doesn't need to win anything IMO.  Everything they touched last season turned to gold. Fanbase is built up now and sustainable. 

Pacioretty is really the only bad deal they have.  They're loaded with future picks. Exempt from Seattle expansion. 

I think they'll be saying - as they are now -  Look at us: top 10 franchise on and off the ice. 

We couldn't sign Stone for $9.5M. Closer to $11M - $11.5M. 

I'm not sure you can say the fanbase is sustainable. I'm sure, like most non-traditional hockey markets, it will ebb and flow with the team's success. They could easily face a tough match up this spring and be outed in the first round.

The shine will wear off. 

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Actually it's 14. Minnesota can get no more than 98 points right now, and assuming that the Jets' wins are of the ROW variety, if they win 7 games they will have more ROW wins than Minny, and that is 1st tie breaker.

oh wait the 17 is probably a division clinching number or rather any combination of jets wins and 9th place team losses.....

Edited by iHeart

1 hour ago, JCon said:

We couldn't sign Stone for $9.5M. Closer to $11M - $11.5M. 

Irrelevant for this convo though... I was replying to TUP saying he didn't love the deal Stone did sign. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I'm not sure you can say the fanbase is sustainable. I'm sure, like most non-traditional hockey markets, it will ebb and flow with the team's success. They could easily face a tough match up this spring and be outed in the first round.

Yeah but by the same token, Chicago was drawing 7000 people not that long ago.  Pittsburgh, too.  Will the Jets always fill every last seat at BellMTS?

My point was for every reasonable expectation on the Knights, they've surpassed them big time. I don't have, and am too lazy to find, supporting ammo that would speak to their season ticket base and things like that.

I'd argue virtually every team not named Mtl or Tor would fall into your ebb & flo thought process. Fans follow winning.  Vegas fans got that immediately & I think there will be proven, long-term benefits to that. 

5 minutes ago, iHeart said:

oh wait the 17 is probably a division clinching number or rather any combination of jets wins and 9th place team losses.....

It would have been 17 (16 actually if you apply the ROW option and assume that wins come by that means) last night before the Wild loss to San Jose. If you remove the ROW angle, the magic number is now 15 (combo of points gained by Winnipeg and points lost by Minnesota to guarantee that the Jets finish above Minny in the standings). The numbers change fast, no fault ascribed to you for the post.

On 2019-03-12 at 5:09 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The Raiders moving to Vegas might affect the fan base. I say might, its only 10+ games.

Vegas is one of the few cities fans are willing to visit with the team. They'll be okay. As for this year I still think they are the West Con team to beat.

Most Vegas games is half traveling fans from other cities already. . Vegas is overrated.. They aren't the team to beat at all... SJ or WPG is.