Around The NHL 2018/2019

On 2019-03-06 at 4:48 PM, iHeart said:

oh.....so is there a way the Jets can get in on a deal like that too or do they not have the money?

Look at it this way, the NHL's plan was to introduce TWO new teams.  The 30 NHL teams all supported it because they were getting a piece of the expansion fees.  Vegas was one of the two new teams so they dont get to share in the expansion fee.  It would be like if Seattle joined the league the same year as Vegas.  The other 30 teams get the money, not the expansion teams.

Losing one player, unless somehow you lose a super elite player, is worth the $20 million.  Last time, Jets really lost nothing of much value.  We'll see what happens this time but it could be a case of exposing someone that actually serves the Jets interests in reducing salary (as someone else noted).

Given the choice, the Jets would always choose to take the money and lose a player.  Its a lot of money.

17 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Everyone's favorite team to worry about, the Minnesota Wild are 6-0-2 in their last 8 games.

This team scares me the most as a possible first round opponent.

Knights re-up Stone: https://www.tsn.ca/golden-knights-sign-stone-to-8-year-deal-1.1270108

The Vegas Golden Knights officially signed Mark Stone to an eight-year, $76 million contract on Friday.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reported Monday that Stone had agreed to a deal worth $9.5 million annually, the final step in the Golden Knights trading Erik Brannstrom, Oscar Lindberg and a second-round pick to the Ottawa Senators to acquire him.

Don Brennan of Postmedia reported last Thursday that the deal will include a full no-movement clause. Brennan added that “there's talk” the Senators didn’t offer a full no-move clause to Stone in their negotiations and noted that he will earn $12.5 million more on the $76 million deal playing in Nevada than he would have playing in Ottawa due to taxes.

Stone is great, no doubt.  But that contract would not excite me in Winnipeg.  It would make me really really nervous actually.  Like you'd have to win some cups in the next couple years because you just know a day of reckoning was coming.

If Vegas wins cups, then they can say it was a success and the right thing to do.  Let's check back in a few years and see what they're saying.

2 hours ago, BomberBall said:

But, but, but..... Tavares got booed in New York.

He got booed last night, too! I'm sure it must've been a bunch of Islanders fans masquerading in Leafs jerseys at the game, though.

They got thoroughly waxed at home. And it was a treat to watch the highlights.

Edited by blue_gold_84
update