Around The NHL 2018/2019

27 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Vegas exempt from the Seattle expansion draft.... wtf

Last March called. It wants its news back. https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-gm-meetings-wrap-vegas-spared-seattle-draft/

Vegas off the hook in possible Seattle draft

The GMs were informed that any potential future Seattle expansion draft will be conducted under the same conditions as Vegas, and there’s an interesting caveat: The Golden Knights aren’t likely to be part of the Seattle process at all, according to a source.

There’s no reason to expect them to be put in position to lose a player because they’re not going to be sharing in the $650-million fee the Oak View Group will be asked to pay if/when the NHL accepts its expansion application. That was part of the deal the league struck with Golden Knights owner Bill Foley when he was granted the 31st franchise.

As a result, the Original 30 will eventually receive $21.67-million apiece from Seattle after cashing $16.67-million cheques from Vegas. That helps soften the blow of losing another player through expansion.

3 minutes ago, iHeart said:

gee I would have thought that Seattle would have been Bettman's new favourite, but nope he's still planning on protecting them

No, that's not it. Read the caption in my post. Foley and the NHL made a deal that for his team to be exempt, it wouldn't receive a cut of Seattle's $650M expansion fee. It's not a commissioner playing favourites. At all.

I don't understand these lame attempts by fans to vilify Bettman. At the end of the day, he represents the BOG and its interests.

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

No, that's not it. Read the caption in my post. Foley and the NHL made a deal that for his team to be exempt, it wouldn't receive a cut of Seattle's $650M expansion fee. It's not a commissioner playing favourites. At all.

I don't understand these lame attempts by fans to vilify Bettman. At the end of the day, he represents the BOG and its interests.

oh.....so is there a way the Jets can get in on a deal like that too or do they not have the money?