Around The NHL 2018/2019

From Murat's piece in The Athletic today...relating what Matthews contract may mean for the Jets....

Bang on. 

In short: any five-year deal for Laine or Connor should come in well below $11.6 million AAV. This is not shocking in the slightest.

Instead, my biggest takeaway here is to forget what 2019 has told you so far: Laine has separated himself from Connor in career point production. In fact, Laine could score zero points through the rest of this season and still finish it with a higher career point-per-game rate than Connor has today.

Despite my focus on offence, I’m not arguing that point production is everything. I am arguing that, despite present day perception, Connor has yet to reach Laine’s tier and, with just over a year between them in age, there is no reason to expect that to change over the course of each player’s second contract.

Patrik Laine: 20 years old, 169 points, 208 GP
1.20 goals per 60 minutes 5-on-5
1.66 primary points per 60 minutes 5-on-5
3.07 goals per 60 minutes 5-on-4
3.86 primary points per 60 minutes 5-on-4

Season splits:
36-28-64 in 74 GP
44-26-70 in 82 GP
25-10-35 in 53 GP

Kyle Connor: 22 years old, 104 points in 149 GP
0.89 goals per 60 minutes 5-on-5
1.43 primary points per 60 minutes 5-on-5
2.03 goals per 60 minutes 5-on-4
2.47 primary points per 60 minutes 5-on-4
Third pairing PK time

Season splits:
2 seasons. 149 total GP
2-3-5 in 20 GP
31-26-57 in 76 GP
22-20-42 in 53 GP

I will admit that I was impressed by Laine in the Habs game last night with some of the things he was doing without the puck. There was one back-check on Armia that probably prevented a goal and showed a lot of heart/effort. Also read a quote from Wheeler that talked about how it's really not a big deal, and even with a season as bad as he's having, he'll probably still end up with 40 goals.....

Still, I maintain that Connor is the more important player for the Jets...

52 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I will admit that I was impressed by Laine in the Habs game last night with some of the things he was doing without the puck. There was one back-check on Armia that probably prevented a goal and showed a lot of heart/effort. Also read a quote from Wheeler that talked about how it's really not a big deal, and even with a season as bad as he's having, he'll probably still end up with 40 goals.....

Still, I maintain that Connor is the more important player for the Jets...

I'm not sure I agree with you, I'm still undecided but I will say this.... You can fill a team full of Connors and win but I'm not sure you can do the same with Laines. Someone needs to drive the play. 

Edited by JCon

On 2019-02-08 at 8:40 AM, JCon said:

I'm not sure I agree with you, I'm still undecided but I will say this.... You can fill a team full of Connors and win but I'm not sure you can do the same with Laines. Someone needs to drive the play. 

Good thing it’s a team sport then?

we’d be better with 2 Buff’s, 3 Helle’s and a partridge in a pear tree, but I’m not sure what relevance that has. 

Laine’s a generational talent. Connor’s a very good/maybe great prospect who happens to play the right way - for which, I’m thrilled. Really.

but the way people are bailing on a 20 yr old superstar is more embarrassing than the team’s effort lately. 

That said.. we’re bejng exposed the last few games. Everyone needs to be better

36 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Good thing it’s a team sport then?

we’d be better with 2 Buff’s, 3 Helle’s and a partridge in a pear tree, but I’m not sure what relevance that has. 

Laine’s a generational talent. Connor’s a very good/maybe great prospect who happens to play the right way - for which, I’m thrilled. Really.

but the way people are bailing on a 20 yr old superstar is more embarrassing than the team’s effort lately. 

That said.. we’re bejng exposed the last few games. Everyone needs to be better

We'll be better after the trade.

16 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I can't believe they let Carlyle hang in there that long - he had clearly lost the room...

Fowler, Kesler, Perry and Getzlaf contracts are going to keep that team crippled for a while

Wonder if Jets could pry Montour or even Lindholm out of there...

Or maybe they have the Oilers issue with talent and effort. As Hitchcock put it, the coaches can't want it more than the players.

I'd love to see Carlyle here as an addition to our coaching staff.

Edited by HardCoreBlue
Big homer for Carlyle

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Thats kind of the definition of losing the room though...

Right but using the Oilers as an example, no matter who you have coaching the team, something is amiss with the team DNA. 

When saying losing the room, that implies a coaching issue and sometimes (not all) that can be misleading.

It's probably a case you can't fire the team so get rid of the coach.

23 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I can't believe they let Carlyle hang in there that long - he had clearly lost the room...

Fowler, Kesler, Perry and Getzlaf contracts are going to keep that team crippled for a while

Wonder if Jets could pry Montour or even Lindholm out of there...

I can't believe they didn't fire Carlyle a week ago