Around The NHL 2018/2019

On 2019-01-07 at 12:56 PM, iHeart said:

what made them wake up? is stast back in the lineup?

Stastny did Most of his points work here on the PP. He was a good pickup but i feel u are overrating him big time. 

Ppl go on about how Ehlers struggled in the playoffs.. His center was Stastny.. Stastny didn't do lots 5 on 5. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Image result for gord miller tsn

A reminder of the compensation due if you sign someone with an offer sheet:

Offer Sheet (AAV)Compensation

$1,339,575 or below None

Over $1,339,575 to $2,029,59 3rd

Over $2,029,59 to $4,059,322 2nd

Over $4,059,322 to $6,088,980 1st, 3rd

Over $6,088,980 to $8,118,641 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Over $8,118,641 to $10,148,302(2) 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Over $10,148,302(4) 1st

EDIT: You also need to have those picks available, so that rules out some teams. 

You're looking at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and possibly 2 x 1st, 2nd, 3rd for Trouba. 

But, I doubt he signs an offer sheet. More likely a sign and trade with a team, so he can get 8 years.

Edited by JCon

Since when is Gord Miller anything but a play-by-play commentator? Why would any team divulge such information to him?

Sounds like deflectionary fodder to me.

23 hours ago, Goalie said:

Stastny did Most of his points work here on the PP. He was a good pickup but i feel u are overrating him big time. 

Ppl go on about how Ehlers struggled in the playoffs.. His center was Stastny.. Stastny didn't do lots 5 on 5. 

Spoken like a self-proclaimed expert. And an ignorant one, at that.

Stastny's stats with the Jets (regular season and playoffs):
regular season: 19GP, 4G (4EV), 9A (5EV, 4PP), +4
playoffs: 17GP, 6G (5EV, 1PP), 9A (5EV, 4PP), +5

Saying Stastny "didn't do lots" at even strength is utterly comical. He did more 5v5 than in any other situation.

Edited by blue_gold_84
ignorance addressed

15 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Since when is Gord Miller anything but a play-by-play commentator? Why would any team divulge such information to him?

Sounds like deflectionary fodder to me.

I'm not sure he has any team insiders but I'm certain he talks to other journalists. And journalists love to talk and speculate. And journalists love to repeat things they hear from teams and agents, like Kurt Over-charge, to build up speculation. 

Lawless used do this tons. Sure he had tons of insider information but he also created a lot of rumours by spreading info fed to him by teams and agents. If they wanted it out there, to be speculated on and to send a message to the other side, they spoke with Lawless. Sometimes it came to fruition but lots of times it just remained talk. 

EDIT: But in this case, everyone at TSN loves stroking the Almighty Leafs. Who would possibly walk away from the greatest team on the planet??

Edited by JCon
Spelling is hard

The issue with an offer sheet is that your intent is to make it so the home team is unable or unwilling to match.  The Jets do have some cap space and if the cap goes up as expected next season, even more.  To make them unable to match, you have to make it pretty enormous.  Essentially you offer what would be an albatross around the necks of the Jets....but an albatross is an albatross.  

And then be willing to part with all those draft picks.  If a team was that determined to land Trouba, Laine or Connor, they'd probably be wiser to try and make a trade.  

The Jets have to be strategic in signing their guys though so that as they sign, they dont up the option of an offer sheet due to the declining ability to match due to a reduction in cap space (ie. they need to have their ducks in a row and execute deals pretty much together).

Hard for the owners to go into a CBA year making outrageous contract offers.

On 2019-01-11 at 9:22 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

The issue with an offer sheet is that your intent is to make it so the home team is unable or unwilling to match.  The Jets do have some cap space and if the cap goes up as expected next season, even more.  To make them unable to match, you have to make it pretty enormous.  Essentially you offer what would be an albatross around the necks of the Jets....but an albatross is an albatross.  

And then be willing to part with all those draft picks.  If a team was that determined to land Trouba, Laine or Connor, they'd probably be wiser to try and make a trade.  

The Jets have to be strategic in signing their guys though so that as they sign, they dont up the option of an offer sheet due to the declining ability to match due to a reduction in cap space (ie. they need to have their ducks in a row and execute deals pretty much together).

Hard for the owners to go into a CBA year making outrageous contract offers.

Jets will likely have contracts done by July 1st. If you think a guy(Trouba) isnt gonna sign.. Trade him. 

Trouba and Connor to Carolina...  Or Philly makes some sense. 

Centers and D available there. 

They would get a haul so you move them. Laine will sign here long term. 

Trouba and Connor? Who knows... We have winger depth so... 

Id have a hard time saying no to Sanheim Konecny and a 1st or more even. 8 and 81 have a ton of value. 

The issue with offer sheets.. Like the guy has to sign it and the teams with lots of cap.. They suck ass. So u go from a contender to a rebuild? Weird strategy Cotton. 

Gord Miller... Lol. Catering to leafs nation. 

Edited by Goalie

Why wouldn't the Coyotes offer sheet Auston Mathews, Leafs are in bigger cap hell than the Jets, Marner is going to cost them 10 + and they already gave Nylander 7 + Gardineetr will probably be let go because of the salary cap and Kapanen needs a new contract.As for the Coyotes it would be the biggest benefit for them to offer sheet Mathews in many ways and they have plenty of young talent waiting and could afford the picks. could some one offer sheet Trouba or Connor sure anything is possible but they wont be leaving for free.

5 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Why wouldn't the Coyotes offer sheet Auston Mathews, Leafs are in bigger cap hell than the Jets, Marner is going to cost them 10 + and they already gave Nylander 7 + Gardineetr will probably be let go because of the salary cap and Kapanen needs a new contract.As for the Coyotes it would be the biggest benefit for them to offer sheet Mathews in many ways and they have plenty of young talent waiting and could afford the picks. could some one offer sheet Trouba or Connor sure anything is possible but they wont be leaving for free.

Coyotes have the picks to do it. 

I don't think Marner is going to cost them $10+ or I don't think they would pay that. They'll get Matthews locked up before Marner (plus Marner might want that anyhow). 

Nylander is just under $7 AAV after this season. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

Coyotes have the picks to do it.

I don't think Marner is going to cost them $10+ or I don't think they would pay that. They'll get Matthews locked up before Marner (plus Marner might want that anyhow). 

Nylander is just under $7 AAV after this season. 

Yeah 10m for Marner?!?

COyotes could offer a lot or just wait till he turns 26 but will Coyotes still be there in 5 years.