Around The NHL 2018/2019

15 hours ago, iHeart said:

a friend of mine on facebook thinks that this could be the beginning of the end of the Senators

Ironically, the Sens actually have a decent group of young players. They'll be fine on the ice. 

The gong show off the ice is another story. 

Just now, iHeart said:

good god how come there are gong shows in Calgary and in Ottawa suddenly.

Ottawa has a terrible owner who meddles in the team. That's a problem and it creates a whole load of other problems. There is also a question about Melnyk's liquidity. On paper, he's worth a lot but cash flow is often an issue.

The arena is built too far away from downtown and is not easily accessible for a lot of fans. It's a huge arena, so there are always (often?) unsold tickets. 

Calgary is looking for a new arena and the owners want public money to pay for a large portion of the building. They'll sort that out but it has become ugly. The owners, if I've read it right, are losing the PR battle with the public. 

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

Ottawa has a terrible owner who meddles in the team. That's a problem and it creates a whole load of other problems. There is also a question about Melnyk's liquidity. On paper, he's worth a lot but cash flow is often an issue.

The arena is built too far away from downtown and is not easily accessible for a lot of fans. It's a huge arena, so there are always (often?) unsold tickets. 

Calgary is looking for a new arena and the owners want public money to pay for a large portion of the building. They'll sort that out but it has become ugly. The owners, if I've read it right, are losing the PR battle with the public. 

sounds like Calgary is going through the same thing the Jets did years ago. 

I hope either of them will end up relocating to QC I mean they've had an arena ready for years

19 minutes ago, iHeart said:

sounds like Calgary is going through the same thing the Jets did years ago. 

I hope either of them will end up relocating to QC I mean they've had an arena ready for years

I think the situation in Calgary is very different from Winnipeg. Yes, we needed a new arena but the economics of the league and the soft dollar were really challenging the Jets, and all Canadian teams, at the time. Finding an owner who was willing to take on the financial risk and, likely, loss was impossible. 

Now that economics have been resolved, via the profit-sharing salary cap, this is about owners taking on minimal risk while getting a brand new arena (economic driver). It's about getting more for less. 

That being said, I don't think either team is at risk of being relocated.

I could see an ownership change in Ottawa but then Melnyk would not get the attention he does now. The only way he sells is if he cannot keep the cash flow positive and the league pressures him. 

I can't speak to the economics of the Calgary situation but it would appear as though the owners have bad timing. When the economy in Alberta was booming, Calgary was expanding like crazy, building tons infrastructure (public and private). I'm not sure if it would have been more palatable for the City to pay a big portion of the a new arena or if the population would have always been as resistant as they seem now. Maybe some of the Calgarians on this board could provide insight. 

Edited by JCon

Winnipeg simply didnt have an owner willing to absorb the losses of an NHL team, especially while a new arena was being built.  While there was a public aspect to building BellMTS Place, it was driven by the private sector who put a lot of money into it themselves and the public investment was recouped earlier than expected.  Plus, the owner of the team (the Moose at the time) ran their team themselves and obviously, paid a large sum to bring the NHL back.

I think Calgary will have to realize, a new arena will need to be private-sector driven with a significant investment.  I dont sweat the taxes helping TNS because its a fraction of the over-all investment and we gain over time by having it.  But if government was asked to foot a majority of the bill, it would be an issue.

Flames arent going to move.  Ottawa?  I doubt it but I dont think its without possibility.  If Melnyk wanted to sell and couldnt find a buyer in Ottawa?

In Morrissey news, Peter Tessier, a blogger for Hockeybuzz and someone who occasionally has some solid analysis, claims he has a source that says Jets have both a bridge and long term offer on the table for Josh to consider.  Jets prefer long term, Josh prefers bridge.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Saw a lot of empty seats in the EDM@CAL game.

Real stat for Preds@Panthers game was paid attendance was 5,806.

Also it was a Monday afternoon game.

They count tickets out as the attendance.  So if they distribute 100,000 tickets that no one uses, they can claim an attendance of 100,000 people.

I cant remember the details on the Panthers but there was a reason why they hadnt been relocated...a lease or something.  They'd be ripe for the pickings though...

I just did some Googling and it seems the deal with the Panthers is, they have a great lease with the city owned arena whereby they get revenue from other non-hockey events they host as long as they keep the Panthers there.  The lease runs out in 2023, so probably a good couple of years before we hear about relocation there.