Should Walters, Miller And The Board Of Directors Put Pressure On MOS To Fire Hall?

Richie Hall Has Got To Go  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should MOS Be Pressured By Upper Management To Fire Hall?

Rookie QB for three of the games. two Bombers D lineman  in the top four of qb  pressures. Bighill now doing what he's good at. and maybe rounding into full Bighill form.

(I admit, I did not realize how much Bighill could do, till I saw the game the other day)

Masoli probably played one of the best games of his career against the Bombers. He couldn't miss.

It's too early to say the D is no good. Not saying Hall is the greatest D assistant in the CFL.

I just don't believe O'Shea doesn't know what to do with this defence. It makes no sense.

Edited by Mark F

22 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Rookie QB for three of the games. two Bombers D lineman  in the top four of qb  pressures. Bighill now doing what he's good at. and maybe rounding into full Bighill form.

(I admit, I did not realize how much Bighill could do, till I saw the game the other day)

Masoli probably played one of the best games of his career against the Bombers. He couldn't miss.

It's too early to say the D is no good. Not saying Hall is the greatest D assistant in the CFL.

I just don't believe O'Shea doesn't know what to do with this defence. It makes no sense.

He played defense, but his coaching specialty is still special teams, so how much he can do by getting involved in defense probably won't be much.

As we've said, I don't think anyone here thinks the defense will have all bad games.  I also think we've shown we can have winning seasons despite a mediocre D.  But that's not the end game.  The end game is to raise expectations that the D will stifle Edmonton, Calgary or Saskatchewan's offenses enroute to sweeping the Grey Cup home to the Peg.  Bend but don't break doesn't work against them either.  It must be constant man to man press coverage glue sticking every down, the way Tim Burke did it here.

5 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

It must be constant man to man press coverage glue sticking every down, the way Tim Burke did it here.

Burke's D thrived on hitting and jamming the receivers 0-15 yards from scrimmage to disrupt passing routes- since the change of no contact on the receiver after 5 yards, I don't think we will see a defense like Swaggerville. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

9 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Burke's D thrived on hitting and jamming the receivers 0-15 yards from scrimmage to disrupt passing routes- since the change of no contact on the receiver after 5 yards, I don't think we will see a defense like Swaggerville. 

That still doesn't mean you play a silly bend and break pseudo prevent defense like the garbage system we currently have in place.

16 hours ago, Tracker said:

And all stayed way past their expiry dates.

Etcheverry was only here for a season. Bellefeuille should've been canned along with him after the 2014 season. Although, I don't think any OC would've had much more success with the O-line the team had back then.

9 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

You're not too fond of our defensive philosophy are you?

Should he be?

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Although, I don't think any OC would've had much more success with the O-line the team had back then.

He was known for calling plays that required the OL to hold their blocks longer. Not exactly helpful for a group that was already a liability. 

23 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Not when the Burke system is currently working in Calgary

they are using Burke's system in Calgary? Burke's system can not be implemented with the current no contact on a receiver after  5 yards rule. It might share some of the same elements, but it is certainly not the swaggerville defense.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Any changes will be made this off season so let's get thru this one before any talk of firing Hall takes place as it won't happen.  Should Hall be let go, damn right he should but unless the defense totally collapses & I mean TOTALLY collapses, he won't be fired this season. 

Or if he mugs a nun on Provencher Avenue while wearing a MAGA shirt.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Any changes will be made this off season so let's get thru this one before any talk of firing Hall takes place as it won't happen.  Should Hall be let go, damn right he should but unless the defense totally collapses & I mean TOTALLY collapses, he won't be fired this season. 

Well the main point is that the onus is on O'Shea to do it since he gets to make the call.  And since it seems he's been unwilling to do it, a bit of heat/pressure coming down on him might get him more willing to make the change.

9 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Well the main point is that the onus is on O'Shea to do it since he gets to make the call.  And since it seems he's been unwilling to do it, a bit of heat/pressure coming down on him might get him more willing to make the change.

You clearly don't understand the function of a board.   They are not experts in the day to day stuff and have no business in "demanding" anything.  They deal exclusively with the CEO and only the CEO.  At the same time, if the CEO has confidence in the GM (which he does presumably) then he does not interfere.  And if the GM has confidence in his HC then he doesn't interfere.  So the only guy who will decide on the fate of Hall is O'Shea and O'Shea alone.   That's how a professional organization works; everyone  does their job and only their job.  So by all means, continue to suggest that "the powers that be" need to get involved.  They won't, because they all know better than that.

8 hours ago, Stickem said:

Somebody should get fired after that collapse....Just bull$hit is all I can say

Well, we do have to admit that last night the offense can be blamed a little.  Not getting even so much as 2 FGs in the 2nd half of that game (or any points period) does deserve a call out.  But that doesn't absolve Mr Hall's defense from failing to hold the lead either.

5 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Well, we do have to admit that last night the offense can be blamed a little.  Not getting even so much as 2 FGs in the 2nd half of that game (or any points period) does deserve a call out.  But that doesn't absolve Mr Hall's defense from failing to hold the lead either.

You cannot blame the defense on this one.  They allowed 20 points despite all the turnovers.  That should have been more than enough cushion for the O.  

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

You cannot blame the defense on this one.  They allowed 20 points despite all the turnovers.  That should have been more than enough cushion for the O.  

Sure you can.  Edmonton's offense was awful too the other night but their defense didn't use it as an excuse.

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Sure you can, because it's not just about the number of points allowed. We were lucky that Lulay was rusty because he missed deep throw after deep throw after deep throw. His receivers were open, he just missed them.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Sure you can, because it's not just about the number of points allowed. We were lucky that Lulay was rusty because he missed deep throw after deep throw after deep throw. His receivers were open, he just missed them.

Not to mention this defense generating turnovers line gets old.  Defenses are not measured by turnovers, they're measured by keeping other teams out of the end zone.  And Richie Hall's defenses have always been the worst red zone defenses to ever set foot on CFL fields giving up a higher percentage of TDs than anyone elses.

Edited by USABomberfan

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If we had know that the Lions were only going to score 20 in this game, there would have been few people, excluding you of course, who would have predicted a loss.  This O should be expected to generate more than 20 points in a game, especially when it gets 17 in the first half.  The D wasn't perfect but if the O plays only an average 2nd half, we win this easily.  

11 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

If we had know that the Lions were only going to score 20 in this game, there would have been few people, excluding you of course, who would have predicted a loss.  This O should be expected to generate more than 20 points in a game, especially when it gets 17 in the first half.  The D wasn't perfect but if the O plays only an average 2nd half, we win this easily.  

I predicted a Bomber win. First time this year I got the Bombers outcome wrong, but don't let the facts get in the way of your incessant whining about me.

The O wasn't perfect. The D wasn't perfect. Special teams weren't perfect. Coaching wasn't perfect. All that's OK because no one should expect perfection. I do expect, however that we take the points that are given to us and that we choose the right plays for the situation on 3rd down. Simply doing that would have won us the game.

13 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Bottom line to me - Even though the offense really stunk up the joint in the second half. The defense could not make the stops when necessary to at least get it into OT. And as others have indicated Lulay missed a large number of wide open receivers throughout the entire game. Richie Hall does not get a pass on this loss not now nor ever.

2 hours ago, BBRT said:

Bottom line to me - Even though the offense really stunk up the joint in the second half. The defense could not make the stops when necessary to at least get it into OT. And as others have indicated Lulay missed a large number of wide open receivers throughout the entire game. Richie Hall does not get a pass on this loss not now nor ever.

It just amazes me how I spite of the picks that LaPo didn’t throw that he still remains Mr. Teflon for his play calling, particularly in the 4th quarter.....but